• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit keeping his eye closed

When I came back from school to give bheni some pets I noticed that one of his eyes were completely shut and there were some eye boogers as well I removed the boogers with some clean warm water and made sure to remove all of them but even after 2 -3 hours bheni is still not completely opening his eyes .
Iam worried about his eye and want to know if it is something serious

Are you in the UK ?

If so is your Rabbit fully vaccinated ?

It’s hard to tell if the bald area is swollen, there is a scratch on it which was probably caused by a claw as the Rabbit scratched themself.

If there is a lump where the bald areas are and you are in the UK then it could be a sign of myxomatosis. Especially if the Rabbit is not fully vaccinated.

When I came back from school to give bheni some pets I noticed that one of his eyes were completely shut and there were some eye boogers as well I removed the boogers with some clean warm water and made sure to remove all of them but even after 2 -3 hours bheni is still not completely opening his eyes .
Iam worried about his eye and want to know if it is something serious

Given the other post you have made about your Rabbit’s eyes you need to take him to a Vet.

Is there anything else that I can do because I reall am not in the position to take him to the vet

No, because first you need to know what the problem is. If there is damage to the cornea this can become very serious. Treatment is likely to include things that can only be obtained from a Vet.

The other photo I have now seen looks as though there could have been a fight between the two Rabbits. The bald areas, scratched and sore eye being the result of injuries sustained as a result. This would mean that infection could occur if Vet treatment is not obtained and the eye isn’t checked for corneal abrasions.

How old are the Rabbits, what gender and are they neutered ?

Are you in the UK ?

If so is your Rabbit fully vaccinated ?

It’s hard to tell if the bald area is swollen, there is a scratch on it which was probably caused by a claw as the Rabbit scratched themself.

If there is a lump where the bald areas are and you are in the UK then it could be a sign of myxomatosis. Especially if the Rabbit is not fully vaccinated.
I am not in UK
I live in India and here veterinary services are not at all developed and there are not even any good rabbit vets in my whole area

No, because first you need to know what the problem is. If there is damage to the cornea this can become very serious. Treatment is likely to include things that can only be obtained from a Vet.

The other photo I have now seen looks as though there could have been a fight between the two Rabbits. The bald areas, scratched and sore eye being the result of injuries sustained as a result. This would mean that infection could occur if Vet treatment is not obtained and the eye isn’t checked for corneal abrasions.

How old are the Rabbits, what gender and are they neutered ?
They are both 2 years of age (tomorrow is their birthday) and I am also of the opinion that at least the scratch is a result of fighting
They have not been neutered and both are male hence they do often hump eachother

They are both 2 years of age (tomorrow is their birthday) and I am also of the opinion that at least the scratch is a result of fighting
They have not been neutered and both are male hence they do often hump eachother

Two entire Bucks cannot live together. The risk of severe fighting causing serious injury or even death is very high. I would check both Rabbits over very carefully. It is likely that you will find more injuries. Some possibly older from previous fights. The genitals often get bitten. So you need to check that hasn’t happened.

Two entire Bucks cannot live together. The risk of severe fighting causing serious injury or even death is very high. I would check both Rabbits over very carefully. It is likely that you will find more injuries. Some possibly older from previous fights. The genitals often get bitten. So you need to check that hasn’t happened.
I do check them pretty regularly and I don't usually see any kind of injuries
They have been living together for 2 years now and they have never hurt each other severely

Back