• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating pellets

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hey Guys,

So I have a vet appointment in the morning. The story goes:

I noticed that Ivy had lost her appetite for her pellets. I was offering her them, trying different ways to get her to eat them but she just wasn’t having it. She has been eating plenty of hay, is happy to eat treats too, I believe her output is normal too…it’s not great but I still don’t really know whose poop is whose……

Anyway, today I noticed that Leafy isn’t keen on the pellets either.

I decided to grab a bag of some pellets from the store. Not the same as they are currently on (I have 0 intention in feeding them lots of this new one, just trying out a few nibbles) and they were all game for them.

Just wondering if you guys think it’s likely a bad batch of pellets or is it likely a dental issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, let me say that I am very new to this subject and not experienced. I think if she had a tooth problem she wouldn't have eaten her hay and treats. Have you noticed a change in behavior that she has pain other than not eating pellets? In the past weeks, my rabbit has not taken care of his pellets for 1-2 days, but his eating, drinking, poop and behavior were good. Hee was just bored of pellets and was spoiled. :D When he played his pellets a bit and didn't give them directly, he became precious again and started eating. :D

Hey Guys,

So I have a vet appointment in the morning. The story goes:

I noticed that Ivy had lost her appetite for her pellets. I was offering her them, trying different ways to get her to eat them but she just wasn’t having it. She has been eating plenty of hay, is happy to eat treats too, I believe her output is normal too…it’s not great but I still don’t really know whose poop is whose……

Anyway, today I noticed that Leafy isn’t keen on the pellets either.

I decided to grab a bag of some pellets from the store. Not the same as they are currently on (I have 0 intention in feeding them lots of this new one, just trying out a few nibbles) and they were all game for them.

Just wondering if you guys think it’s likely a bad batch of pellets or is it likely a dental issue?

Have they been on the original pellets long before this happened? How old are they?

It could be dental, but if they'll eat the new pellets it seems unlikely to me?

What were the original pellets you were feeding and what are the new ones? :)

Hopefully the vet can check their teeth for you tomorrow tho

Unless the new pellets are thinner/less hard than the old pellets it probably is not teeth if she eats new but not old ones.
Also bunnies with teeth issues usually,though not always, stop eating hay first. Though my Amber sometimes does the same thing, though she eats more pellets when well hydrated.
Is your bunny drinking well too?
Were the pellets they refused from a new batch,or were they eating them until now. Dampness can make them rancid,or worse result in mold toxins we may not see. They can also pick up off smells/tastes from other items stored nearby.
With my lionheads I have the same issue identifying the poop maker.
Good luck at the vets.

Last edited:
The vet looked over both Ivy and Leafy and said they are both looking healthy & hydrated too. I have to take Ivy back in about 4 months as there is the possible start of some spurs but the vet said she has no reason to believe that they are causing her any problems right now and it isn’t worth putting her under any anaesthetic.

She is a Netherland Dwarf so it’s just something to expect with them I suppose.

Before the vet visit, I bought them a different brand of pellets and they both seemed to like them - they are both refusing the usual now…so it’s likely the food that’s the issue.

Sorry for such a late response. I started with a respiratory infection (-ve PCR *phew*) and it’s sort of floored me. Had a hard time at work lately so I’m kind of rundown!

If they are starting to get spurs, I would be concentrating on getting them to eat more hay / grass, and reduce the pellets right down. They need the long fibres in the grass / hay to keep the teeth worn down properly. Pellets are useful to keep their weight up if they can't eat hay, but won't promote good dentition.

If they are starting to get spurs, I would be concentrating on getting them to eat more hay / grass, and reduce the pellets right down. They need the long fibres in the grass / hay to keep the teeth worn down properly. Pellets are useful to keep their weight up if they can't eat hay, but won't promote good dentition.

Thank you for this,

I am not 100% sure about quality of hay, however I buy HayBox Timothy Coarse Cut. I tried them with a mahoooosive range of different hays but this is the only thing that vibed with them. When I first got them, I tried a taster packet every night alongside some generic hay I had purchased beforehand as I wasn’t sure what they were currently eating at the rescue. HayBox was they only one that was completely devoured overnight.

I do feel as though Ivy could benefit from eating more though. I’ve started putting hay in a variety of different spots that she can hide and have nibble as she is a timid little thing. The mess it creates is a little triggering for me but if it means she’ll eat more and be healthy…I will learn to handle it.

Readigrass would be good to feed a Bunny who needs to gain a little weight.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thankfully, they are both a healthy weight as far as my vet told me! But I will bare this in mind for future if I need it.

Ivy weighs in at just 1kg and Leafy at 1.4kg. They are so small!

Back