• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eating after spay, help please! U/D P83

Yay she has certainly turned a corner and she is very cute. Hopefully you will get a good nights sleep tonight.x

Just handfed her some dandelions, broccoli and she had one bite of apple before spitting it out! :lol: Still eaten no pellets but she has had more hay as well :D I'd love a sleep but due to this damn thunder I'm wide awake and feeling absolutely rotten :evil: Ah well, small price to pay for my bunnies health! She's just grooming herself which she wasn't doing at first, so it shows she's feeling a little bit better :love:

She is definitely heading in the right direction. Have you still got meds to give her?

We've got some Fibreplex left, about 3 doses, and after thats finished we wont need any more of that. We've also got some Zantac to keep giving her and I think we've got one other medicine to still give her, I may be wrong though! Also we're not feeding her throughout the night any more, providing she keeps eating normal food, because we hope she'll get hungry and start eating the pellets/hay that she's got out :p She's got a soft spot for baba food now though, she gets so excited whenever she tastes it! :lol:

Question:wave:

Because her tum is shaved, would she lose a lot of body heat? I'm wondering about putting her out this evening or tomorrow providing the weather picks up, just on the grass for a little, would she get really cold do you think? She's also got shaved ears bless her so I don't want her to be freezing!

I would only put her out if it is dry and sunny. I would not leave her out for any length of time. Also, I would not want her to be leaping about so soon after her spay and then her being so ill.

Doughnut leaps about outside so I wouldn't put her out yet, I'd wait until you've gone back to the vets a week later and she's had her stitches out and they tell you it's healing nicely. Maybe pick some grass for her to eat.

the vets have theoretically discharged her, we only need to go back if we are worried about her at all, she's also glued not stitched :p I just worry about her losing her winter coat what with Autumn approaching yet she is inside in a heated room (it's been absolutely freezing here!), even though she gets time out in the kitchen and that. I'll keep her in for a few more days then :)

Doughnut was glued on the inside but stitched on the outside and she'd nibbled a few when they took them out but apparently she'd been a good girl. I think they said it takes another week to heal properly inside. She would have jumped around everywhere if I'd let her since she was on meds she couldn't feel anything!

So pleased she's OK, nice to have a happy ending.

Thankyou :p she ended up going outside for 45 minutes yesterday because she was just sitting in the corner of her cage looking bored, the sun came out and she lay basking until it was intime bless her :love: she's still not eaten pellets yet but has been tucking into dandelions and some hay :D

Back