• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poop just mucus and what looks like blood from anus

Milo update: after a call this morning from the vet saying he seemed weaker and still wasn't pooping we decided to do full blood work. His white blood cell count is very low and his kidney urea content was at a critical level 37 when it should be between 3 and 9 in a rabbit of his age. This indicates chronic disease that has been going on for some time. They have put him on antibiotics to prevent any secondary infection and a drug to encourage the working part of his kidneys to work a bit harder and a catheter so they can flush fluids through him. There is a chance for him but he would be on medication for life to help his kidneys. I'm heartbroken for his friends who are missing him as he won't be home today

Milo update: after a call this morning from the vet saying he seemed weaker and still wasn't pooping we decided to do full blood work. His white blood cell count is very low and his kidney urea content was at a critical level 37 when it should be between 3 and 9 in a rabbit of his age. This indicates chronic disease that has been going on for some time. They have put him on antibiotics to prevent any secondary infection and a drug to encourage the working part of his kidneys to work a bit harder and a catheter so they can flush fluids through him. There is a chance for him but he would be on medication for life to help his kidneys. I'm heartbroken for his friends who are missing him as he won't be home today

Sending loads of love and hugs for you, Milo, and everyone at home who is missing him.

You have done your utmost best for the little rabbit. I'm so sorry there's not better news.

Hugs xx

I am sorry the update has not brought good news :cry: I had feared it may be his kidneys that were the problem, hence why I mentioned the full blood profile. At least now the Vet has identified a primary cause of the gut stasis he can hopefully get Milo feeling more comfortable within himself. I know from my own experience of renal problems when the kidneys are not functioning well it can make you feel rotten. But once aggressive IV fluids are given, alongside medication to assist renal function, it is possible to feel much better relatively quickly.

I do hope that Milo can be kept as comfortable as possible for as long as possible x

I am very sorry to read your update :( Hopefully now that the vets have identified the problem, they can make him feel a lot more comfortable.

Sending you lots of hugs.

Sending a million vibes for Milo, I really hope the treatment and meds can help your brave little bunny xxxx

Thank you everyone for all your love and support. Praying Milo is strong enough to keep going. Really want to be able to give him some more time with his companions as he's still so young. (He's 5) Don't want to have to think about what we will need to do if he isn't strong enough. Even the thought breaks my heart for Bailey and Oreo :( :( :(

Glad you found out what was causing the stasis. Hoping the vet can help Milo pull through this tough time. Sending strengthening get well soon vibes xx

I really hope the answers mean that treatment will enable Milo to recover. Sending lots more vibes xx

Sending more vibes and prayers for Milo. I'm sure the vet is doing everything he can to help brave little Milo and I hope that he responds positively and quickly. xx

The vet just called Milo has taken a turn for the worst and isn't going to survive the night. He's on oxygen but they want to put him down. What do I with his friends???!

The vet just called Milo has taken a turn for the worst and isn't going to survive the night. He's on oxygen but they want to put him down. What do I with his friends???!

I am so very sorry :cry:

If it were me, I would leave his friends where they are, but make sure if the very worst does happen (and I sincerely hope it doesn't) that you ask the vet to give you Milo back to bring him home so that his friends can see him. In my experience it helps the grieving process if the companions can see the one who's passed and spend a few hours with them.

Hugs for you xx

I am so very sorry :cry:

If it were me, I would leave his friends where they are, but make sure if the very worst does happen (and I sincerely hope it doesn't) that you ask the vet to give you Milo back to bring him home so that his friends can see him. In my experience it helps the grieving process if the companions can see the one who's passed and spend a few hours with them.

Hugs for you xx

We are on our way to him now. The vet thinks to put him to sleep is the kindest thing

Back