• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newbie. rabbits died today...fox? mystery

I agree with twice a day, but it's a bit much people working full time visiting them three times a day!

:cry::cry::cry::cry: attitudes to rabbits will never change

i think rabbits need more attention than cats or dogs, being prey animals and hiding illness so well

bloat/stasis can kill if left untreated for more than 12 hours i could never allow any of my animals to be ignored for a 24hr period let alone 48 hrs

im sorry for your loss but i think keeping animals you dont have time for is very wrong indeed :(

I am so sorry for your loss.. binky free bunnies!!

Please don't let comments you find hurtful on here stop you eventually giving a forever to home to two new bunnies!! By the sound of it you looked after your bunnies really well, cared for them and loved them dearly.

Having a 6 week old baby (woo congratulations) really doesn't make it easy to keep on top of everything EVERY day... I would like to meet a mother who is perfect and never forgotten anything or had lack of time/energy during the first few months of a having a new baby!! No-one is perfect, so please don't feel like a bad bunny mummy.

I'm so sorry a fox got in, it does happen, and no matter how hard we try, sometimes there is nothing we can do.

There are lots of tips, and fox proofing ideas that we can help you with if you do decide to get more bunnies, feel free to pm if you want, but there is no point going through them all right now!

:cry::cry::cry::cry: attitudes to rabbits will never change
i think rabbits need more attention than cats or dogs, being prey animals and hiding illness so well

bloat/stasis can kill if left untreated for more than 12 hours i could never allow any of my animals to be ignored for a 24hr period let alone 48 hrs

im sorry for your loss but i think keeping animals you dont have time for is very wrong indeed :(

I agree. Thats why whilst I am sorry for your loss I cant say that I agree with your idea of 'Rabbit Care' because I dont. That doesnt make me right or wrong, I am just stating my personal opinion.

Poor bunnies. I dont understand why people get any sort of pets if they dont have the time for them?? I have a house bunny and even though shes always with us I couldnt give her too much of my time, thats my responsibility as a bunny mummy.

:roll:can i just ask whats wrong with me working full time and seeing to my bunnys 3 times a day they my babies an i love em to bits an spend as much time as i can with em :?

:roll:can i just ask whats wrong with me working full time and seeing to my bunnys 3 times a day they my babies an i love em to bits an spend as much time as i can with em :?

I don't think there was a suggestion that it's wrong - just impractical as most full-time workers can't do a midday check.

The only reason im able to do that is becos my hours at work are 6am while 1:30pm , am glad i dont do 9-5 really :)

How sad for you to find your pets of 5 years in this condition - it is one thing to find a dead pet and another to find it maimed, that must have been very distressing for you.

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby, you must be exhausted and probably it would be best to devote yourself to your busy baby-filled life than introduce more pets at the moment.

I got my dog about 5 years before I had my daughter, I wasn't even planning marriage let alone children at the point I got her. Lives change in 5 years and although I also could not imagine not seeing my pets for such a length of time, I probably see to them many times during the day, I can accept that you were doing the best you could for them and loved them.

I don't think there was a suggestion that it's wrong - just impractical as most full-time workers can't do a midday check.
That puts me in the out-takes department as well then as I work full time so, shock horror, the buns are left for about 10 hours on work days. I'm not perfect, nor is my set-up for buns but I'd be very surprised if anyone who's been to my place doesn't think they have the life of Riley.

That puts me in the out-takes department as well then as I work full time so, shock horror, the buns are left for about 10 hours on work days. I'm not perfect, nor is my set-up for buns but I'd be very surprised if anyone who's been to my place doesn't think they have the life of Riley.

I wasn't saying anyone who doesn't vist at least three times a day is WRONG. I simply pointed out that I believed Wendle was misunderstanding Mandy's post!

I think you've misunderstood my post entirely!

Sometimes mine are left for long hours but there checked on before and after work several times which is different to being left for 24-48hours before being checked

whatever your opinion on the checking of the bunnies, it wouldnt have saved their lives..it took just a split second.

We investigated further this eve and it looks like it was a pole cat. There was only one small gap in the wooden cage roof (wooden slats, one had come loose and had moved) which was about 7cm wide. polecat prints nearby, and fox poop also in garden.

sorry bunnies!..........

just goes to show - even a small gap in a can be fatal..

As it happens rabbits need more attention than kittens (assuming you're talking about cats), many people on here are mothers too and manage to care for their rabbits as well as their children. It is good that you're not taking on any more buns if you can not care for them and leaving them for two days at a time is not acceptable. If you are considering taking on more animals you have a duty of care to attend to them at least daily, perhaps you would like to read the animal welfare bill http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200506/cmbills/058/2006058.pdf .

I am sorry you lost your bunnies :(

oh shut up. they were loved and healthy. Had food and clean water and a beautiful run. i guess you must be perfect. I usually did look at them daily, or if I didnt my other half did...as i said earlier. cripes.
seems it's a good job they're out of their mysery then??????

over and out. glad I found such a helpful group..

oh shut up. they were loved and healthy. Had food and clean water and a beautiful run. i guess you must be perfect. I usually did look at them daily, or if I didnt my other half did...as i said earlier. cripes.
seems it's a good job they're out of their mysery then??????

over and out. glad I found such a helpful group..

I am going by what you said here.................

i check them every day or every other day, to feed and water them. My garden isnt attached to my hosue but we made sure they had a very sturdy run which for the last 4 years had kept out all beasties. They were very independant bunnies - never liked being picked up etc and had lived a happy life out there for several years together.
They were fine on Friday when we fed them..

thanks for your advice all. We do have pole cats round here...

If you class being perfect is feeding and watering my rabbits everyday, then I guess I must be. Any animal needs to be checked daily, please if you take some more on, make more time for them. I actually work full time and stilll make time for my rabbits, because I took them on and owe them that.

I never said it's a good job they're out of their misery and I am sorry for your loss.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:this thread!!!!so sorry for your loss.i check mine twice a day but im in and out most of the day playing with bluebell.:D xx

So sorry for your loss :( Such a horrible thing that happened to them. Even if you did check them 3/4 times a day it wouldnt have stopped a fox getting them :( Congrats on the new baby :) Dont let all this put you off getting new bunnies in the future, im sure you were a good bunny mum :) Take care xXx

Back