• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newbie. rabbits died today...fox? mystery

It must have been such an awful shock to lose your bunnies in such circumstances. Thinking of youxx

I really can not believe the replies that I have read. I am horrified.

Someone has lost their two pets in a horrific way. They were killed and you are all lecturing them on how to care for them.

You know nothing about the circumstances. Maybe someone else was asked to check on them that didn't, maybe the person was ill or had an emergency.

Even if they had checked on them 20 times that day it wouldn't have stopped the fact that something got in during the night and killed their rabbits.

It shows the importance of checking hutch and run security certainly but in no way warrants being looked down for asking a question.

I had 6 chickens that were killed by a fox last year that broke into the coop. Was that my fault because I didn't check on them enough? Of course it wasn't, but I did learn how to make the coop super secure.

The rabbits were not roaming the garden, they were in their hutch.

Wouldn't a suitable reply of been, It could have been a fox have a really good inspection of the hutch and run and repair any damage. Also try google for some ideas on how to make the enclosure fox proof. It would also be worth inspecting the whole garden in case there are any areas that the fox has used to enter the garden as if you get rabbits again you will need to repair these too so that any future bunnies don't escape.

To the original poster, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

If you ever decide to obtain any more Rabbits please do make sure you are able to attend to them at least three times a day

Poor Bunnies :(

i normaly see them a few times a day when i'm out and about in the garden. they were fine on friday morn.
They had plenty of water and have a large food bowl. i did not neglect them, this is not what this post was about. i loved them but i wasn't their body guard. i'd been their mum for 5 years and they were healthy. even if i'd checked them 14 times a day i couldn't have foreseen the fox attack.

I think that is a bit over the top, no-one has been nasty, mean or horrible to the poster, just concerned that her buns may not have been tended to for a few days. Everyone has offered their heartfelt condolensces and no-one has said it was her fault :?

To the original poster, I'm so sorry for your loss, it must have been an awful shock to find your bunnies like that. Binky free at the bridge together bunnies.

Someone has lost their two pets in a horrific way. They were killed and you are all lecturing them on how to care for them.

You know nothing about the circumstances. Maybe someone else was asked to check on them that didn't, maybe the person was ill or had an emergency.

Even if they had checked on them 20 times that day it wouldn't have stopped the fact that something got in during the night and killed their rabbits.

It shows the importance of checking hutch and run security certainly but in no way warrants being looked down for asking a question.

I had 6 chickens that were killed by a fox last year that broke into the coop. Was that my fault because I didn't check on them enough? Of course it wasn't, but I did learn how to make the coop super secure.

The rabbits were not roaming the garden, they were in their hutch.

Wouldn't a suitable reply of been, It could have been a fox have a really good inspection of the hutch and run and repair any damage. Also try google for some ideas on how to make the enclosure fox proof. It would also be worth inspecting the whole garden in case there are any areas that the fox has used to enter the garden as if you get rabbits again you will need to repair these too so that any future bunnies don't escape.

To the original poster, I am sorry to hear of your loss.

thnk you.
i did re-check the pen and there was one small gap in the wooden roof where i think i fox could have got a paw in...but it must've stretched and taken a sweep at her ear....otherwise it was fully fox proof - good wire, sides and bottom...and the little gap was a result of wear and tear and had only appeared days before......so sad. i thought we'd secured them enough until we got a sunny day to fix it proprly...apparently not.

i do check rabbits daily or at lest every other day. they always have water and food. just caught short this weekend with my new baby - 6 weeks old - and rain....so sad.

not your job to tell people how to post.. i think you should try using the report button if you dont like posts :?

could have been a fox or if the hole was small, maybe the rabbit had died and were got at by rats or mice who again will go straight for the face. Rabbits can die of shock if for example a fox was trying to get in, there is also a disease called VHD which can kill in a few hours if the rabbit is not vaccinated.

If you do thing about getting rabbits again please make sure that you find out as much as possible about caring from them from this forum, books and your vet. You do need to check on and feed your rabbits twice a day at a minimum. Two days is unacceptable.

my partner also checks on them so someone sees them daily. just not always me. i have had rabbits for years and was not a bad keeper. my previous bunnies - years ago - died of myxomatosis so i am aware of dangers.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss.

Maybe if you think about getting more in the future ( I know they won't replace bunnies you have lost) , you could get a completely fox proof hutch and run, and lock them in the hutch at night, so less chance of fox getting to them. It can also be a good idea to cover the hutch front at night, so that the rabbits don't get a shock from seeing a fox or cat?

I am sorry for your loss.

Maybe if you think about getting more in the future ( I know they won't replace bunnies you have lost) , you could get a completely fox proof hutch and run, and lock them in the hutch at night, so less chance of fox getting to them. It can also be a good idea to cover the hutch front at night, so that the rabbits don't get a shock from seeing a fox or cat?

going by the replies here I feel it's best i dont get anymore.
Least not for some time anyway.
I rescued one of my bunnies from a miserable indoor life where he was kept in a little cage, five years ago... I bet that the night the fox came he wished he was back in that cage.:cry:

:cry:So sorry for your loss.
It does sound like it could have been a pole cat.
Please don,t blame yourself.

it has to be a fox, rabbit doesn't kill like that. So sorry for your loss. Get yourself a bullet proof cage that brunt force from the fox paw cannot puncture thru

Guys if you feel someone has said something unacceptable please use the report button. As it is I don't think any of you have.

Sorry for your loss, it does sound like a fox attacked them through thr mesh, and the second one had heart failure through the shock maybe.

i check them every day or every other day, to feed and water them. My garden isnt attached to my hosue but we made sure they had a very sturdy run which for the last 4 years had kept out all beasties. They were very independant bunnies - never liked being picked up etc and had lived a happy life out there for several years together.
They were fine on Friday when we fed them..

thanks for your advice all. We do have pole cats round here...
Can I suggest you don't get rabbits again! :cry: once a fox knows where to go it will keep coming back.

Thats the reason i never leave mine out at night, foxes can get anywhere if they want, nasty foxes sorry bout your bunnys , but without sounding nasty to you every other day isnt good enough when raising bunnys , i see to mine at 5am before i go to work clean out litter pans change all hay water etc, cant wait to get home at 2pm to do the same again, let them out of run for about 3hrs in2 garden feed n water clean all hutch out around 7pm, check on them again around 9pm then lock them up for the night ,:)

I hope you are coming to terms with the loss of your bunnies. Many people have lost bunnies to a fox on here, despite really trying their best to protect them. If you have a determined predator, even the best preventions do not always work.

Please try and remember that this was not your fault and you loved these bunnies for five years. When you feel better you might like to share some photos on rainbow bridge about them.

Thats the reason i never leave mine out at night, foxes can get anywhere if they want, nasty foxes sorry bout your bunnys , but without sounding nasty to you every other day isnt good enough when raising bunnys , i see to mine at 5am before i go to work clean out litter pans change all hay water etc, cant wait to get home at 2pm to do the same again, let them out of run for about 3hrs in2 garden feed n water clean all hutch out around 7pm, check on them again around 9pm then lock them up for the night ,:)
i guess i'm more of a country girl. Rabbits are outdoorsy animals. They are not kittens which need constant attention. I am a mother who cant spare time to see to rabbits 3 times a day... That isnt to say they were not cared for. I think my OH gets less attention than your rabbits!!
Mine were healthy so please do not be disrespectful by saying my care was not "good enough". They were very healthy and happy.

i guess i'm more of a country girl. Rabbits are outdoorsy animals. They are not kittens which need constant attention. I am a mother who cant spare time to see to rabbits 3 times a day... That isnt to say they were not cared for. I think my OH gets less attention than your rabbits!!
Mine were healthy so please do not be disrespectful by saying my care was not "good enough". They were very healthy and happy.

As it happens rabbits need more attention than kittens (assuming you're talking about cats), many people on here are mothers too and manage to care for their rabbits as well as their children. It is good that you're not taking on any more buns if you can not care for them and leaving them for two days at a time is not acceptable. If you are considering taking on more animals you have a duty of care to attend to them at least daily, perhaps you would like to read the animal welfare bill http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200506/cmbills/058/2006058.pdf .

I am sorry you lost your bunnies :(

If you dont have time to see to them at LEAST 3 times a day i suggest you dont get anymore:( My rabbits do like attention just as much as my dogs! Im not sure why people are of an opinion they dont:?
Im sorry for your loss

Back