• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

newbie. rabbits died today...fox? mystery

If I personally could only go and see my rabbits every other day then I would consider that they would probably not be the pet for me. I spend a lot of time with my rabbits because I want to, not because I have to.
QUOTE]

I would agree with that.....I can't see that a bunny is any different from a cat, a dog or even a small todler. Except for one or two people, no one would go away for two nights leaving a todler in the house, leaving out some water & food for when they got hungry & if they do and are found out then there is huge uproar in the press. A bun is as completely dependent on you to look after them and you have a duty of care to give them fresh food, fresh water and fresh hay at a very minimum once a day but preferably twice a day. I know for one that if I shoved two days worth of pellets at my lot then they would scoff the lot in hours and starve for the rest of the two days. If I left them unlimitted pellets they would eat far more than was good for them and become absolute porkers :roll::roll:

I don't think adult rabbits have much in common with toddlers. Rabbits feeds themselves, you just have to provide it. They also know how and where to go to the toilet. You wouldn't even leave a toddler alone for an hour. I don't think treating rabbits like toddlers would advance their welfare in the slightest.

If I personally could only go and see my rabbits every other day then I would consider that they would probably not be the pet for me. I spend a lot of time with my rabbits because I want to, not because I have to.

If I could or only wanted to spend five minutes a day with them every other day then I don't see the point in having them, full stop.

Having a pet isn't a right nor is it compulsory, if you've no time, don't have them, it's as simple as that. I know people are saying yeah with education the standards can be improved, but daily food and water is a basic right and people seriously don't need to be "educated" that mammals need this daily, sorry it doesn't take ten minutes to feed a two rabbits whatever your situation.

Totally agree :thumb:

I don't think adult rabbits have much in common with toddlers. Rabbits feeds themselves, you just have to provide it. They also know how and where to go to the toilet. You wouldn't even leave a toddler alone for an hour. I don't think treating rabbits like toddlers would advance their welfare in the slightest.

I know plenty of todlers who can use a toilet (with a seat and step) and can feed themselves if you put food out in front of them. they can be very capable of looking after themselves for a few hours if you give them a few toys to play with. We don't leave them for hours on end becuase as a parent you invest very heavilly in offspring. Your whole genetics and society as a whole is programmed to do everything you possibly can to ensure the child reaches adulthood. This means giving them the best welfare possible. The same approach to welfare should be applied to pets (even if we don't have to baby sit them 24/7)

Back