• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bunny From RSPCA?????

Tamsin said:
Although the RSPCA hutch minimum is larger the RWA run sizes is larger so:

RSPCA
Hutch: 6'2' = 12'
Run: 6'x3' = 18'
Total Floor Area = 30'

RWA
Hutch: 5'x2' = 10'
Run: 8'x4' = 32'
Total Floor Area = 42'

Personally I'd be happy with a very large (sheltered) run and a small sleeping box. My rabbit's have always made much better use of the run area than they have sleeping areas. Unless the run isn't perminantly attached to the hutch then I I don't think a 6' hutch is strictly necessary.

After all there isn't that much diff between a run and the living area of a hutch. It's easy enough to put a solid roof/protected side on a run.

Tam

Is that per pair? Or per bun? & what would be the size needed for bonded groups? For example - my 9?? :lol:

weepeep50 said:
Had our home check, thought we were going to have to wait until tomorrow or Thursday for verdict, but just had a call from the RSPCA and Dexy is ours. WHOOPPEE :!: :!: :!: We are so happy, he is so lovely and cuddly
Will have to wait until the weekend, though, as O/H works in Hampshire Weds and Thurs and we still have to construct a run at front of shed. I think they were impressed with how I set out the shed.
Jo :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations!

Angie65 said:
Is that per pair? Or per bun? & what would be the size needed for bonded groups? For example - my 9?? :lol:

I dunno :)

RSPCA said:
Rabbits need as much exercise as a small dog. Their accommodation should have a sheltered sleeping area of at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an attached 6ft x 3ft run to allow them to sit up straight and look around.

rwa said:
The minimum size for average sized rabbits is 5 foot long, 2 feet deep and 2 feet high. ... The hutch must be tall enough for the bunnies to sit up on their hind legs. Larger breeds require much larger hutches.... Exercise runs should also be as large as possible; ideally, at least 8 feet x 4 feet x 2 feet high.

The don't make it absolutely clear but both orgs say buns shouldn't be kept alone so I'd say that would be for two average bunnies.

I don't think you necessarily need x feet per bun as one bun probably needs the same space as a pair. Though obviously nine :shock: would nneed more!

Tamsin said:
Angie65 said:

I dunno :)

RSPCA said:
Rabbits need as much exercise as a small dog. Their accommodation should have a sheltered sleeping area of at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an attached 6ft x 3ft run to allow them to sit up straight and look around.

rwa said:
The minimum size for average sized rabbits is 5 foot long, 2 feet deep and 2 feet high. ... The hutch must be tall enough for the bunnies to sit up on their hind legs. Larger breeds require much larger hutches.... Exercise runs should also be as large as possible; ideally, at least 8 feet x 4 feet x 2 feet high.

The don't make it absolutely clear but both orgs say buns shouldn't be kept alone so I'd say that would be for two average bunnies.

I don't think you necessarily need x feet per bun as one bun probably needs the same space as a pair. Though obviously nine :shock: would nneed more!

I'm gonna check my rough-in-my-head-measurements tonight, but i think they have 130sq foot, but come out into living room in a addition to that at least 3 hours a day (although - limited due to decorating at min). Mind-you then I got shelves & stuff, & hutch :? Will get tape measure out :D

Awww well done I think he is gorgeous. Being local to Exeter I have seen him :D My friend tried to rehome one and they wouldn't let her even though her rabbits have free range in her 5 bed home! They said she had to have a big hutch and run. Even though her house is bigger then this!

I think you also need to take account of whether the buns get any free run exercise in the garden or house- my bunnies get at least 2 hours nearly every day at the mo in our 120ft garden! - much more in the summer time and when evenings are lighter. If they didn't I'd prob invest in a bigger hutch for Amy and a run to attach to Princess' shed.

Amy has a long run and small hutch - but she only sleeps in the hutch and spends more time down in the run and out in the garden, which sounds like a lot of other people's bunnies!

Back