• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new breeder

When you post on a forum you are inevitably going to get different opinions, that is what makes it interesting, I am only stating my personal opinion. It's not specifically about people 'rescuing' a rabbit, there are already hundreds of breeders out there, some good, most bad - if someone is looking to get a rabbit there is already a lot out there in addition to rescue animals waiting for homes, pet shops, garden centres, freeads/preloved, breeders etc - what I am saying is what is the point when there are so many already 'flooding' an already saturated market, I am not convinced because sadly as we know this species is mis-understood and doesn't get a lot of protection in terms of the law to stipulate the housing conditions, exercise entitlement etc - to me and I will not change my view - to breed any animal at the moment is not a good idea. The economic climate has affected a lot of peoples income etc and so many are being dumped because people cannot afford it. It couldn't be a worse time to breed any animal for fun in my view.

ok. of course you are entitled to your opinion, but lets make her feel a bit more welcome. :D

ok. of course you are entitled to your opinion, but lets make her feel a bit more welcome. :D

She is welcome, it's not personal about her I don't know her, I am just reflecting my opinion on what she is saying she will do, but, I am sorry I won't pussy foot around to tell her great what a good idea when I don't think it is. Got to sign off now anyway, I am sure the OP will do what she wants regardless of others who won't agree and wish her all the best of luck and just hope she manages to find good loving forever homes for all her kits who have no choice in the matter.:)

hiya :wave:

I am also not dead set against breeding. However, I do think if you are just doing it for the experience/personal enjoyment etc you need to think firstly that even if you do everything right, you could still lose much loved bunnies. Secondly that the love you have to give to bred bunnies could be given to rescue buns. Even if you don't see it that breeders add to the problem of unwanted rabbits, it should be clear that if you got rescue bunnies instead of breeding more, that's more space that that rescue would then have to help more needy buns! :D

hi welcome to the forum, the reason you find so many @anti breeding@ people on here is because the forum stems form rabbit rehome which is a predominatly rescue site! many of us have seen the horrors of inbreeding and poor generations adn the abnormalities that arise, you mention mini lops i wonder why you choose this breed? they wil lstill need accomodation of 6x2x2ft each bunny per hutch then you will need a 6x6ft hutch for each sex of bunnies and the ability to house all rabbits (including babies) seperatly should you need of course all rabbit hutches need a minimum of 6x6ft run attatched too. you will need to carefully consider how you would deal with a mother dying while giving birth and if your vet is rabbit savvy enough to deal with complications, you will have to deal with coccodis and ec protection too as well as vaccinating all the rabbits before they leave you which can be a costly procedure, you need to go back 5 generations, be aware mini lops are very prone to dental problems de to skull shape and you should be aware of this, also please think of if you have time and ability to hand rear the kits should you need to. rabbits should be bred no more than twice a year so you would not get many litters from each bunny. a doe should be retired at 2years and neutered and paired with a neutered male rabbits are sociable animals and prefer their own company, the neutering stops cancer whic h kills 85% of rabbits age 3yrs and over, you need to be aware of things like amastitus too and tumours which can happen and the mother rabbit mutilating or killing teh babies also. i hope this informaiton helps. i would never buy from a breeder there are too many factors im not happy with and all mine are rescues however should you be breed you need to be aware of the pitfalls and mitigate against them as best possible, i am not however anti breeding should it be done responsibly but i think in current times there is no need with so many bunnies being given up. you need to do a fact sheet up containing informatio nabout neutering and vaccinating and that should the bunny need rehoming that you will take them back (lifelong garentee and bunnies live 12 years)

:love:hello to everyone, im new to this site and hoping to breed my mini lops shortly for the first time so any help is much appriciated as i have never done it before, and i want to give them every help they need.

Hiya,
any advice just ask, i have been breeding lionheads for about a year and now also am breeding red eyed white and blue eyed white mini lops. (also have some himilayan babies due which i may bring into my stud)

breeding is a hobby that alot of people enjoy and alot of breeders show there rabbits, not all people do it for the money, unfortunatly there are people that do breed for the money, all my rabbits are my pets which i am sure yours are too!

i do feel for all those bunnies that dont have homes but thats due to the bad back yard breeders who cross breed rabbits! alot of people want full breed rabbits. =]

get in touch if u need advice :)

Jade x

Hiya,
any advice just ask, i have been breeding lionheads for about a year and now also am breeding red eyed white and blue eyed white mini lops. (also have some himilayan babies due which i may bring into my stud)

breeding is a hobby that alot of people enjoy and alot of breeders show there rabbits, not all people do it for the money, unfortunatly there are people that do breed for the money, all my rabbits are my pets which i am sure yours are too!

i do feel for all those bunnies that dont have homes but thats due to the bad back yard breeders who cross breed rabbits! alot of people want full breed rabbits. =]

Jade x

Wow thats nice of you Jade, maybe when you get chance you could post some pictures of your set up to give the OP an idea of how much space etc is required for breeding rabbits :)

Wow thats nice of you Jade, maybe when you get chance you could post some pictures of your set up to give the OP an idea of how much space etc is required for breeding rabbits :)

if the OP would like me to then yes i would be more than happy too, all my rabbits have 5-6 foot hutches, i have a 8 foot run and another on the way, and the rabbits also have full run of the garden when im home.
i also unlike some breeders keep my numbers low. i will have 4 mini lops and 2 lionheads.
and i dont overbreed my rabbits.
im a responsable breeder and i will help and advise those who need it =]

if the OP would like me to then yes i would be more than happy too, all my rabbits have 5-6 foot hutches, i have a 8 foot run and another on the way, and the rabbits also have full run of the garden when im home.
i also unlike some breeders keep my numbers low. i will have 4 mini lops and 2 lionheads.
and i dont overbreed my rabbits.
im a responsable breeder and i will help and advise those who need it =]

Brilliant, I would like to see them, it's good in general to show how it should be done :D

Hiya,

Jade x

Genuine question - why would you delibarately breed red eyed rabbits? i can accept that they are the natural consequence of some breeding combinations, but why breed it in deliberately? such animals almost certainly have diminished eyesight at best, significant blindness and scanning at worst, with increased risk of injury due to misadventure, inability to perceive depth and potential difficulties in bonding and relating to other rabbits because of this poor eyesight.

Hi Julieclare, welcome to RU! :wave: I hope you stick around and share pictures of your bunnies with us. :)

if i want to breed them and keep them for my self i shall do..... if they get everything from me where is the problem mate!!!!!!!!

The problem could be if you don't know their genetic history 5 generations back. This question has been asked several times and you haven't answered it. I'm absolutely sure you want to do this right otherwise you wouldn't have asked us for advice, and I'm sure you have every intention of giving the babies all the love and attention they could ever need. We're just concerned that even with the best of intentions there could be hidden problems such as tooth spurs that grow up into the rabbit's skull, or other deformities that aren't present in the two parents but could come out in the babies.

All the love in the world won't fix a mother who dies during birth, or kits with painful (and expensive) genetic problems. :(

AMETHYST

Back