• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Needing vibes here :(

Hi I have replied on your other thread:

3 days in its very typical for a rabbit with EC to still be getting worse despite treatment. I would say they are likely to get worse for up to a week before you start seeing times of improvement - during this time you will have to syringe feed and water as they ned it and provide them with lots of support - possbly sub cut fluids as well.

They will have dizziness obviously and there is a drug that can help with that which your vets should know of, but i am surprised they are talking pts so very early -

are they very rabbit savy?

I have had several rabbits survive really severe head tilt - and all of them have had heads back up the right way with only the very slight tilt a year on - despite in some cases being almost upside down.

Whilst Liquorice still has a zest for life, then I would do everything possible to help her during her illness. She may make a full recovery and a partial one, but don't give up on her, until she has given up herself.

Vibes for Liquorice. xxxx

If it was an inner ear infection it's most likely not going to be visible from the outside. It may be worth talking with your vet about a longer course (2/3 weeks) of antibiotics to cover that possibility.

This is what happened with my Mimi when she had head tilt. At first the vet couldn't see any signs of infection, but a couple of days later he could and she ended up having 15 days of antibiotics. Eventually, after a loooooong slog of about 6 weeks she started to improve and a couple of months later her head was back to normal. I never thought it would right itself as it was so severely tilted, she couldn't walk or even stand up without rolling.

One thing I did for Mimi which Im sure helped is I gave her *gentle* neck and shoulder massages twice a day to help keep the muscles from spasming. She loved it and would rest her head in my hand and fall asleep while I was doing it. I imagine having your head tilted like that for so long must get very painful.

On the pain note aswell, I don't think Liquorice has had Metacam? If not this in my opinion is absolutely imperative. It is a painkiller and anti-inflammatory. About 20 mins after her dose of Metacam Mimi would spring to life and start eating. It was obviously the pain that was stopping her from eating.

Maybe consider seeing your vet again for a chat, or even getting a second opinion? I would be concerned about a vet who is talking about PTS so soon, when head tilt can be such a long slog.

Loads of vibes for Liquorice and you xxx

Fairytale had EC - now totally normal. She will need a month of treatment. Has vet given correct dosage? She doesn't sound very rabbit savvy.. :?

Agree re metacam and definitely second opinion!

Back