• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

(Myxi) *PIC ADDED/may find upsetting*Please, if there are any spare vibes going...

Glad you feel you are getting somewhere :) but sorry you have been made to worry so much more than you should! Hope Harry continues to pick up xx

What lovely thoughtful gifts! xx

Thank you.xxx

I recognise that I worry a lot... I worry about worrying... :roll: but this is why I always second guess myself. :oops: coming off the phone, I thought, maybe they are right and Harry is actually ok...

He's doing well. I know he's nomming, drinking and pooing, (no more squishy poos) and I think he rather fancies himself the house rabbit... :lol: must admit, waking up to the sound of hay nomming is bliss. :love:

I worry about worrying, and I worry about not worrying!! :oops:
I hope I didnt make you feel like you had been worrying unnecessarily - I didnt mean that at all - just that others ( vets etc) should not have given you more cause to worry more! Sometimes I think they forget how much we can care for our pets which I always find very strange.:?

Take care and nose rubs to special Harry xxxx :love:

I should be thankful...

He's eating well and seems alert and the swelling not so aggressive. It could be a whole lot worse, but I look at his little face and it makes me so sad. :( His mouth and nose just looks so, for want of a better word, deformed...? I know it's not like that really, he's still my gorgeous gentle bun and thank goodness he's not completely pickled in nodules/affecting his eyes etc. But I so hate seeing him like it.

I've also noticed he smells strange too... Even when I've had to handle my outside bunnies, they smell like hay... :love: but Harry smells different. I just don't think it's right and it's bothering me. Maybe it's because he can't groom himself properly? I've bought some designed-for-bunnies grooming wipes to see if they would help... But not sure if I should use them. :? The only way to describe it, is like damp/musty bunny.... :shock:

Poor Harry... :(

But I offered some of the treat that was sent for him and he very much enjoyed it. :D

Aw bless his heart, he is lovely and i'm sorry you're both going through this :(

Regarding the smell... it's not a "farmy" smell is it?

Aw bless his heart, he is lovely and i'm sorry you're both going through this :(

Regarding the smell... it's not a "farmy" smell is it?

Thank you silverrabbit :wave:

Farmy smell? I get what you mean - like a wet barnyard/animal smell :? (I wish you could send sniffs via net... :lol:) I've checked him all over. (Poor boy, hates me fussing him like that... Head rubs ok though ;) ) I can't see anything that could be causing it. He's clean etc.

I'll mention it to vet on Monday (again... :roll:)

Xx

Thank you silverrabbit :wave:

Farmy smell? I get what you mean - like a wet barnyard/animal smell :? (I wish you could send sniffs via net... :lol:) I've checked him all over. (Poor boy, hates me fussing him like that... Head rubs ok though ;) ) I can't see anything that could be causing it. He's clean etc.

I'll mention it to vet on Monday (again... :roll:)

Xx

Only mentioned it because I think a farm animal type smell (sweetish) can be a sign of coccidiosis. Where I used to volunteer some of the sick bunnies smelled of farmy smell and they had this tummy problem.

From what you say it's probably not that though, was just my random middle of the night ramblings :roll:

Ha, your vet will be like Oh no, not the forum again :roll: :lol:

Only mentioned it because I think a farm animal type smell (sweetish) can be a sign of coccidiosis. Where I used to volunteer some of the sick bunnies smelled of farmy smell and they had this tummy problem.

From what you say it's probably not that though, was just my random middle of the night ramblings :roll:

Ha, your vet will be like Oh no, not the forum again :roll: :lol:

*faints*

Another battle... :? Cue western showdown tune...

:lol::lol:

I will insist the vet sniff Harry bunny... (Can you imagine?! :lol:) Maybe then they will believe me... :roll:

Aw flower, your doing a fabulous job, with Harry:thumb:

Doesn't bare thinking about all those other bunnies that get this and are just left :cry::cry:

I think the reason he is doing so well is because of YOU!:p he's containing to thrive because of your care, attention, expert eye and smell!! ;)

Has he got anyone on his genitals?

Does he live with another bun?.

I'm so glad he enjoyed that little treat ;)

Not sure what my vet would say if I asked him to smell my bunnies.. almost tempted to try it to see the reaction :lol:

Sending more vibes xx

Update

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't updated, I've not been able to get to get on here, just through being so shattered. :oops:

Harry is doing much better on metacam so it was worth the fight (He doesn't smell as bad as he did either :roll:;) )
He's looking better too. He saw another vet and he is pleased with Harry's progress, but again doesn't want to go ahead with his booster vacs, as Harry is already fighting. He's told us to carry on with the metacam and that we've been doing the right things.

Thanks RU, if I didn't have you then I wouldn't have known what to have done/ what I needed to ask for. :oops:

Though the vet can't say for certain, he feels that this will be something that will go soon.

:love:

:wave: thank you everyone, me and Haribo really appreciate it. He's a gorgeous bundle of fluffs. :love:

The vet said he's seen this in vaccinated animals before... We mentioned the fact that the previous vet (vet no.2 :?) was unsure if it was even myxi. The vet said it would be difficult to say for sure/100% but from what he has experienced/seen, he said it does look like myxi to him. We could get a biopsy done to determine what he's actually got but the vet feels this is unnecessary stress for Harry - considering he's eating/drinking/output is normal... He wouldn't want to put Harry through it and then him stop eating for example.

All that matters is he's a comfortable and happy bunneh. ;):love:

Back