• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

(Myxi) *PIC ADDED/may find upsetting*Please, if there are any spare vibes going...

Sorry I missed this Schez :(

Sending vibes for Harry and you and all his friends.

Which vets are you with?

Thank you for all the (((vibes))) and well wishes. Harry is doing well in himself. It's so odd. He looks so poorly... Yet he's scoffing hay and nomming pellets. :shock: it's been a long day away from him, and as you can imagine I was very anxious to check on him. There were a couple soft poos in his cage. So not a lot but can anyone tell me what I need to wary of?

Sorry I missed this Schez :(

Sending vibes for Harry and you and all his friends.

Which vets are you with?

Thank you Graham :wave:
I'm with Blake vets... (Bridgwater) I can't remember the ladies name I'm terrible. :oops: (If I remember rightly, you use these too? But it was a petite lady with bobbed, blond hair? I'll try and get her name tonight, I'm taking Phoebe in for 6:10)

This is what we are up against; please be aware that the flash makes this look very alarming. It was an odd angle to to try and show his poor mouth. Looking at him head on, you can only see that his nose looks "odd".

Horrible :censored: disease, even in this form. :(
I keep thinking, what else could I have done to prevent it. :?

Thank you for all the (((vibes))) and well wishes. Harry is doing well in himself. It's so odd. He looks so poorly... Yet he's scoffing hay and nomming pellets. :shock: it's been a long day away from him, and as you can imagine I was very anxious to check on him. There were a couple soft poos in his cage. So not a lot but can anyone tell me what I need to wary of?

Thank you Graham :wave:
I'm with Blake vets... (Bridgwater) I can't remember the ladies name I'm terrible. :oops: (If I remember rightly, you use these too? But it was a petite lady with bobbed, blond hair? I'll try and get her name tonight, I'm taking Phoebe in for 6:10)

This is what we are up against; please be aware that the flash makes this look very alarming. It was an odd angle to to try and show his poor mouth. Looking at him head on, you can only see that his nose looks "odd".

Horrible :censored: disease, even in this form. :(
I keep thinking, what else could I have done to prevent it. :?

Oh bless him :love:

Sue? Caroline? Rachel?

Good luck tonight - have subscribed to this thread so I know about him later on!

We may have met at some point, I used to spend my life in there :lol:

Oh bless him :love:

Sue? Caroline? Rachel?

Good luck tonight - have subscribed to this thread so I know about him later on!

We may have met at some point, I used to spend my life in there :lol:

:lol: we may well have done then! :D
Thank you for checking in and sending my Harry vibes. The vet (thinking about it, it might've been Caroline...) said that most vaccinated bunnies are just unwell for awhile but make a full recovery. Just depends on Harry's immune system. She was brilliant though, phoned me later on to chat about things and to check immunisation dates. There's not really anything I can do apart from monitoring him and getting him back to the vets if necessary.

Oh love him, poor Harry :oops: and poor you :oops: I know how much you love your rabbits

I'm glad he's still eating hay and stuff that's a good sign:thumb::p please keep us updated.......remember you can call me anytime....I mean it :wave:

Please please PLEASE stop blaming yourself and looking for reasons why this happened :cry: you have all you bunnies vaccinated and they all have a fabulous, loving home with you......no more could have prevented this, ok? Many bunnies get this and owners don't even realise because their stuck in a crappy hutches at the bottom of the garden :cry::cry: you noticed straight away and got him to the vets, your doing all you can and more :thumb:

Sending lots love and nose rubs xxxxxx

Oh love him, poor Harry :oops: and poor you :oops: I know how much you love your rabbits

I'm glad he's still eating hay and stuff that's a good sign:thumb::p please keep us updated.......remember you can call me anytime....I mean it :wave:

Please please PLEASE stop blaming yourself and looking for reasons why this happened :cry: you have all you bunnies vaccinated and they all have a fabulous, loving home with you......no more could have prevented this, ok? Many bunnies get this and owners don't even realise because their stuck in a crappy hutches at the bottom of the garden :cry::cry: you noticed straight away and got him to the vets, your doing all you can and more :thumb:

Sending lots love and nose rubs xxxxxx

Xxxxxx thank you so, so much. I think deep down I know I couldn't have done anything else but it hurts to see Harry like it. :(

I'm just getting ready to take Phoebe in (and some questions about Harry :oops::D - I'm going to question pain relief... But she seemed pretty adamant yesterday he was not in need... :?)

I'm just relieved he's still nomming at least. :thumb:

Xxx

Poor Harry.

I don't understand why the vet doesn't want to give him metacam? Bubby and Java went on it straightaway when they had myxi (Java was nodular like Harry, then Bubby developed what was basically full blown myxi, despite having been vaccinated, but this was before the combi vaccine).

It took us about 3 months to get from the first lump to clean bill of health, and in that time Java didn't even seem to notice he was sick. There was a low point with Bubby where I was worried about her breathing, but she kept eating and the bad period only lasted a couple of days.

The probiotics came in once they'd been on metacam for a little while, but they hated the vet sachets - I thought they smelled pretty bad. I bought them probiotic strawberry yoghurt from the supermarket, they loved it, it was cheaper, and they only had a teaspoon full a day between them. Seemed to do the trick.

Java used to enjoy gently being sponged with a warm cloth when his sores started to scab, I imagine they must have itched like crazy but he used to be a lot more relaxed after a bit of a bath to soften them.

I think the thing is that as long as he's ok in himself you're doing ok :thumb:

Bless his heart. He may be leaving the cecals because his mouth hurts too much to reach round and eat them :cry: I really would be adamant about pain relief if the vet is still stubborn (why they think a rabbit doesn't need pain relief always amazes me :roll: if that was a dog or cat they'd be straight on it)

Update

I had a different vet yesterday. Phoebe had her vacs. No meds. I just feel like giving up.

But had a loooooong convo about worming... :? I have this chat every time I go in. But considering the 28 day course anyway.

No change for Harry. But still eating, drinking and his output is normal.

Sorry if this post feels blah. I'm just tired. People asked in work what's up, but you start to mention your pet rabbit is poorly and their eyes glaze over...

:(

Sorry they didn't give you meds for Harry, such a shame most vets don't seem to understand rabbits and it's not like a couple weeks of Metacam would do much harm. Really wish the bunny training was compulsory :(

I think the vets love harping on about worming because they tend to charge a lot more than online so must make good profit, esp as they suggest doing it every 3 months

Sending vibes for Harry and *hugs* for you xx

Sorry they didn't give you meds for Harry, such a shame most vets don't seem to understand rabbits and it's not like a couple weeks of Metacam would do much harm. Really wish the bunny training was compulsory :(

I think the vets love harping on about worming because they tend to charge a lot more than online so must make good profit, esp as they suggest doing it every 3 months

Sending vibes for Harry and *hugs* for you xx

I asked the vet to email figures RE.worming... My brain just couldn't take much more.
I said that I hadn't opted for it as there were differing opinions from people on effectiveness. He asked: "people? What? A forum?" I nodded and he said "ah" ... What does that mean? :shock:

On a positive note, Phoebe usually has trouble with mucky bottom... But she's been clear for over a week now :D I'm so proud of her... She was a bit of a state when she first came here. Thankfully her teeth and botty are fine. :D

I'm just tired you know? I'm so worried for Harry. I keep telling myself that it's ok as he's eating so well... But he just looks... Sad. He has times where's he's active and inquisitive (I melt when he's got his ears forward and sniffing everything including me :lol:) he's a dear little soul. If there's no improvement I'm gonna phone... Maybe, maaaaybe if I keep on, they will give me some just to shut me up. I keep looking at his face thinking, if that was us we would be demanding meds. I know he's eating but it must be uncomfortable?

So sorry I'm late to this thread, but adding lots of vibes for Harry from this direction. Thinking of you too. xx

How dare anyone on a forum question their advice :roll:

I don't think worming as precaution is necessary every 3 months, but I do worm a new bun and both parties before bonding. Flora is an EC bunny and I worm her every 6 months. People may say that isn't necessary but since doing this she hasn't had a relapse so it works for us :)

Great news for Phoebe too :love:

I would still ask for Metacam (aren't I stubborn :lol: ), purely because his mouth will definitely be sore. Imagine your mouth surrounded by cold sores :shock: ouchie! Wish the vet would listen (but don't tell him the forum said so ;) )

Poor Harry. I would definitely demand to have some pain relief. Tbh, in any kind of problem, pain relief should be a priority. It's also an anti-inflammatory, so would be good for his nodules. Maybe bring this up? :thumb:

Back