• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Tom

My Eulogy

My dearest Tom.

9 years ago you followed me into our house and made yourself comfortable on my bed. We didn't want to encourage you to leave your family who had brought you all the way from Sweden to be with them, so we made you leave. Every day you would wait by the door to be let in, or sleep on Mummy's car basking in the sunshine. We called you Graham because of your beautiful fur (as we didn't know what your name was then), and because you loved eating ham. We used to laugh that you were so vocal because you were Swedish and couldn't understand what we were saying to you. We did everything to try to deter you from coming in, but even when we wouldn't let you in through the front door, you would climb onto the roof and come in through my bedroom window and we'd still find you asleep on the bed. You were so loving and gentle, you even got on with Sam-dog, you never bothered him in his old age and used to keep him company and sleep next to him.

Your owner used to come round to the house to collect you, but eventually told us that we could keep you as she had "never seen you so relaxed", as she watched you lying, sprawled out on your back, on my bed. I was so excited that we could keep you as you had stolen my heart. :love::love: We never wanted to steal you, but it was clear you had chosen us to be your humans, especially when your old owners told us that they never used to let you inside, you just lived in the conservatory. The day we moved house I put you in a cat basket and you yowled and yowled to be let out, I opened the top of the carrier to put my hand in and give you some attention but you escaped and comforted yourself by spending the rest of the journey to our new home sleeping on my lap.

You were the friendliest, most gentle big boy I have ever known. You would cuddle with me for hours, lying like a baby in my arms and you used to love sleeping in the crook of my legs, or in my arms as we fell asleep. I used to feel your weight next to me on the bed and feel reassured and happy that you were there. You went wild for salmon and ham and knew that if you begged by the fridge no one could resist your big eyes and would feed you little snacks. Even though you knew you shouldn't you would lick the butter off my plate when I wasn't looking, it was no wonder you ended up a bit chunky!

You were an excellent hunter and would regularly bring us back "presents", ranging from frogs to spiders to baby squirrels, but in your old age you slowed down a little and you found it a bit more difficult. The live presents stopped but I would still wake up to find you sitting at the foot of my bed with a cat toy, just for me. You loved climbing and would scale our 6ft garden fence with ease. Despite being the friendliest, softest cat with people in the whole world, you were a big boisterous boy and we could often hear you asserting your dominance in the neighbourhood. We didn't want to stop you from going out though as it was clear you loved the outdoors, even when you did come back with a few scratches. You were so gentle with people that even our next door neighbours were happy to let you in because their little boy Jack loved you so much.

I can still see, and hear you now when I get out of my car, the way you used to dash up to meet me and rub yourself all over my legs. I'd pick you up and carry you to the front door and you would just lie there and purr. I loved you so much my darling. The time when I went away for too long and when I tried to leave I found you sitting in the footwell of my car, adamant you wouldn't let me go, still makes me giggle now.

You were so active, and so lovely, you would run to meet us if we called your name so you could come in for dinner, and bedtime. I'm so sorry you suffered such a devastating stroke towards the end of your life. It was so sad and so hard to see you struggle to walk, and your personality changed so much, but my darling boy was still in there. You would still wolf down slices of ham and you still cuddled up to me and purred. I shall bear the scar where you bit me as I gave you a bath for the rest of my life, you were feisty right to the end.

You were 16, nearly 17 and we loved you desperately. I miss you so very much my darling. You were a wonderful, beautiful cat and I'm so sad you are gone.

I'm so sorry you have lost your beautiful boy, Tom, just heart breaking. Sending hugs at this horrid time. xxx RIP Tom, you were much loved here on earth and terribly missed now that you have passed.

That is a wonderful tribute to Tom, full of such love. I'm so sorry you have lost him, he sounds such a character :love:

Run free Tom xxx

Sorry I have only just seen this, what a lovely tribute to a beautiful sounding boy. Sleep tight Tom and hugs for you Cari xxx

One of my favourite photos

IMG_161528218001522_zpsx2lvixxi.jpeg

Back