• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my Rex bun has gained weight to 2.6KG from mostly eating hay

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
https://youtu.be/Ram2Fc-haq4

So I adopted my Rex bun about 2 to 3 yr. ago, she's now a few yr. old, and in the past so many years, I remember I tell people in my facebook group to encourage their rabbit to eat as much as hay as possible, w/ unlimited amt. of hay supply.

She's the white bun in the video

Now since my other bun Fudgie has that dental growth, both buns in the past 2 month only get 1/4 of a carrot per day. And 2 to 3 leaves of spinach. Prior to that, Andi get 1/2 a carrot per day.

So for the most part, I notice Andi eat a lot of hay, as such, I tend to make the assumption that her overall wt. gain is from hay. In the end, it would at least 85% of her diet.

As of the other day, I take her out to my backyard twice a day, and I take her to the far end of my backyard, so she has to hop back the entire 70 ft. at least once in order to hop back to the kitchen.

So I expect her wt. to stabilize or lower, but at 2.6KG, is there anything further I can do?

I’d cut out the carrot completely, they aren’t a necessary part of a Rabbit’s diet.Carrots are full of sugar and if they are fed at all it should just be a small piece once or twice a week as a treat, certainly not every day.Do you feed any pellets at all ? What type of hay do you feed?

Well, I give about 2 teaspoon for 2 rabbits, and they eat them altogether. It's the same amt. all these years

Andi is probably eating most of the pellets because Fudgie will eat more slowly due the Dental problems. You might have to feed their pellet ration to them separately to stop this.

Well, I give about 2 teaspoon for 2 rabbits, and they eat them altogether. It's the same amt. all these years

Andi is probably eating most of the pellets because Fudgie will eat more slowly due the Dental problems. You might have to feed their pellet ration to them separately to stop this.

I can separate the two on pellet feeding. Fudgie bad tooth has been removed. I am waiting for a follow up soon. (vet is on holiday)

to cut to the chase, can a rabbit gain weight due to eating a lot of hay?

then I don't know how to explain her wt. gain. The diet serves is the same for all these rabbits from all these decades, since 2007, w/ improvement from ?? pellet to Oxbow Organic. Everything is the same for all the rabbit since 2007. I'll do the double outdoor thing this entire spring + summer, and carry her to the far end of the garage so she can do her 70 ft. hop x 2 min. per day.

then I don't know how to explain her wt. gain. The diet serves is the same for all these rabbits from all these decades, since 2007, w/ improvement from ?? pellet to Oxbow Organic. Everything is the same for all the rabbit since 2007. I'll do the double outdoor thing this entire spring + summer, and carry her to the far end of the garage so she can do her 70 ft. hop x 2 min. per day.

No two Rabbits will have the same metabolic rate. Like humans, some people can eat what they like and remain slim, others just have to look at a piece of cake and they gain 5lbs.

Rex Rabbits are genetically prone to weight gain and are usually very greedy.

then I got lucky. With my bridge bun, my mini Rex Bobby, I got him for 12 yr., he never gain any wt.

the truth is, among all my buns in the past 25+ yr., I can't pin out 1 bun is more greedy than the others. When it comes to serving treats, I feel that they are all just as greedy

Last edited:
Back