• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My precious Erin has a tooth root abscess- Op Done Further U/D post 42

Thank you so much everybody.

I'm off to work now so probably won't be able to update until about 7pm. I get to ring for news 'mid-afternoon', which I've decided is 3pm. I don't know when she is/was having the op but know that FHB was very booked up when we were booked in so couild be quite late, especially as we know she will be staying in.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

I had a very tense afternoon as the op before Erin's took a lot longer than expected so at 4.00 pm when I rang she had only just been anaesthetised, so I didn't get my news until after 5

It was as FHB believed in the consultation that it was just the one tooth affected and it was injury rather than constitutional ie she has good teeth and it's likely that a piece of hay acted like a needle and punctured the gum and it became infected that way. Apparently it was full of bits of hay :mrgreen: Frances was tempted to leave the tooth in but thought that it was risking it happening again in the same area so did remove the tooth, the bone in that area was infected (I'm not sure what the implications are there ?). Anyhow, the abscess has been cleared and there is a hole which isn't too big and might not need much doing to it, she may not have to stay at the vets for very long, that will be determined tomorrow depending on how much care the wound is likely to need and how difficult it would be. So basically mission accomplished and good result. She was however cautious when I asked if the prognosis was good so as not to jinx things but between the lines this was an unfortunate incident for my girl and not something she was predisposed for like poor Shadow would have been.

Elijah is quiet without her I wish I could tell him how well it has gone. :love:

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for your support.

I had a very tense afternoon as the op before Erin's took a lot longer than expected so at 4.00 pm when I rang she had only just been anaesthetised, so I didn't get my news until after 5

It was as FHB believed in the consultation that it was just the one tooth affected and it was injury rather than constitutional ie she has good teeth and it's likely that a piece of hay acted like a needle and punctured the gum and it became infected that way. Apparently it was full of bits of hay :mrgreen: Frances was tempted to leave the tooth in but thought that it was risking it happening again in the same area so did remove the tooth, the bone in that area was infected (I'm not sure what the implications are there ?). Anyhow, the abscess has been cleared and there is a hole which isn't too big and might not need much doing to it, she may not have to stay at the vets for very long, that will be determined tomorrow depending on how much care the wound is likely to need and how difficult it would be. So basically mission accomplished and good result. She was however cautious when I asked if the prognosis was good so as not to jinx things but between the lines this was an unfortunate incident for my girl and not something she was predisposed for like poor Shadow would have been.

Elijah is quiet without her I wish I could tell him how well it has gone. :love:

That's great news :D

Hope she's home soon.x

Fab news that they got it all out and it wasn't too bad :)

Hope she is home soon geting cuddles from you and Elijah.

Glad to hear the op went well and hoping she'll be home again soon. :)
Swift recovery vibes for Erin. ((((((Hugs))))) for you and Elijah. xxxx

Thanks again for the continued support.

Erin didn't eat particularly well over night but within what would be expected with a sore mouth! I get more news tomorrow about how well it is healing and the likelihood of when she's coming home. It's likely to be Monday or Tuesday when she can come home. At the moment I'm just so relieved that it seems to be nothing too serious and hopefully was caught early enough to not have done any further damage. I asked about the infection in the bone as well as I was dwelling on that a bit but FHB said she knew that it would be infected and it's wasn't anything untoward to worry about.

So, they are keeping the wound clean and making sure she's eating enough and she will be home when she's safe enough to be passed back. :D

She's brighter today and the abscess wound is healing well. She's eaten a bit by herself but still needs syringe feeding.

How is she doing? I hope she's home and recovering well x

She's recovering well thanks. Eating more each day and bright and wound healing. I have a provisional appointment to collect her on Tuesday. FHB knows me well enough to know I'd really struggle with something like this so is keeping her there for as long as necessary to deal with the wound.

Thanks for asking.

Glad she's doing ok. Am a big fan of FHB, she's done wonders with Scarlet's dental issues. :thumb:

Suprisingly as a ten bunny household, we've not had much dental work done in the past but I count myself very, very lucky that I take them there for vaccinations and that FHB found the abscess early, so hopefully that's saved Erin a lot more misery than she would have been due if it had been left longer before being noticed. Also very reassuring that she wanted to deal with it the soonest day she could even though she had a heavy workload the following day.

Sorry only caught up with your thread. I hope Erin continues to do well after her tooth removal. She is in the best hands.

Thank you.

:shock::shock: Talking of history of dental work - it's just dawned on me - I was in hospital having my wisdom teeth out 20 years ago this weekend - they got it done just before May Day. I can empashise with Erin more than she knows :lol::lol:

Suprisingly as a ten bunny household, we've not had much dental work done in the past but I count myself very, very lucky that I take them there for vaccinations and that FHB found the abscess early, so hopefully that's saved Erin a lot more misery than she would have been due if it had been left longer before being noticed. Also very reassuring that she wanted to deal with it the soonest day she could even though she had a heavy workload the following day.

She's fab, we took Scarlet in for a check on a day when she doesn't do procedures but she still kept her in to do a dental that afternoon because it was best for Scarlet. She's a star.

Back