• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My new little Mini Lop!

Turns out the Bunny has GI Stasis. Took him again to the vets, extremely bloated and grinding his teeth. He was there for 6 hours on IV, given to injections and antibiotic. Hasn't done him any favors so far (got back 4 hours ago). Given food to syringe feed him with however he absolutely refuses to take it. I'm giving him tummy massages every 1 hour for 15 minutes and trying to get him to run around as much as possible to try and get that little stomach going. I have been told to prepare for the worst BUT there is still a chance. How do you guys feel about this? He absolutely refuses syringe feed even when i hold his head still. I really don't have much hope at this point and I REALLY could use some pointers, advice, absolutely anything to get little Tirion through this Stasis and Bloat.

I have always found this article invaluable, for info and tips ...

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I also use Infacol (infant gas meds) and give 1 ml every hour for 3 doses. Tummy rubs are good!

How about trying to syringe him some tasty baby food? Often much more appealing than critical care or mashed pellets.

Make sure your vet has given you some pain meds (Metacam) to give him when the injection they've given wears off.

I have never lost a bunny to stasis in over 20 years - I am praying he will be OK :D

update; he's still very bloated - however has started eating a little. Munching on Greens every now and again and a little bit of hay which is the most i've seen in a few days. However he still absolutely refuses force feed

Sending lots of vibes for your young rabbit. I suggest it may be worth posting again in the Health section so that more knowledgeable people can see it and respond more fully.

However, are you confident that your vet is rabbit savvy, as not all are? Has the vet given you any meds to give him at home? Is he drinking anything and (importantly) is he pooing? Has the vet actually diagnosed Bloat or GI Stasis, because as far as I know the treatment is different for each?

Hoping that your rabbit starts to improve very soon.

Sending lots of vibes for your young rabbit. I suggest it may be worth posting again in the Health section so that more knowledgeable people can see it and respond more fully.

However, are you confident that your vet is rabbit savvy, as not all are? Has the vet given you any meds to give him at home? Is he drinking anything and (importantly) is he pooing? Has the vet actually diagnosed Bloat or GI Stasis, because as far as I know the treatment is different for each?

Hoping that your rabbit starts to improve very soon.

good timing! he literally just did his first poop within days, not alot, but it's progress to his recovery! first the greens last night and now the little poops! He hasn't drank however he was on an IV and the force feed food is made up of 90% water.

Was taken home with the powdered food and Baytril(?) i think the name is.

If your rabbit is refusing the liquid feed and is not drinking then he is not getting any fluid at the moment. Baytril is an antibiotic, which the vet has presumably prescribed suspecting an infection. Rabbits with GI Stasis would usually be given gut stimulation meds, painkillers and extra fluids, although I am not sure whether this would still be the case in a very young rabbit. If he has Bloat then different treatment would be appropriate, but I'm afraid I have no experience with this. Sending more vibes for your little one.

If your rabbit is refusing the liquid feed and is not drinking then he is not getting any fluid at the moment. Baytril is an antibiotic, which the vet has presumably prescribed suspecting an infection. Rabbits with GI Stasis would usually be given gut stimulation meds, painkillers and extra fluids, although I am not sure whether this would still be the case in a very young rabbit. If he has Bloat then different treatment would be appropriate, but I'm afraid I have no experience with this. Sending more vibes for your little one.

He was given multiple stimulating Injections yesterday and has to go back for more tomorrow, if he doesn't pass all tomorrow he'll also be given gas relief meds and a gut stimulant i believe. He seems rather lively today, so I have hope! :thumb:

I hope your gorgeous wee man pulls through. Bunny ownership is often fraught with worry..

Come on small man, lots of healing vibes being sent. Xxx

another quick update; His stomach is still bloated; HOWEVER it is alot softer and feels more like a half filled balloon now so the pressure is releasing! he is also drinking on his own out his bottle, grooming himself alot more! I've never been happier to see a rabbit drink before :D

Tirion and I are rather happy tonight, he hasn't stopped eating and drinking for hours! not much poop so far but the vet said it'll take a while after food intake for the tract to 'reactivate'. :D

back to the vets today for checkup; he is no longer bloated and vet is happy to not keep him on medication. Just need to him to start pooping in the next 3 days or we'll have to go back

Sounds like your little friend is on the mend. Brilliant news. When one of our bunnies was like that we fed her on pureed vegetable baby food and gave her tummy rubs. Trust me when I say you'll never be so happy as when you're cleaning up those bunny poos again as you know he's well on the mend.:D Can you post pic of your bunny when he's well again please. Sending bunny hugs from ours to yours

Unfortunately Tirion took his last breath tonight guys. Just as he was getting lively, starting pooping, drinking and eating. But the bacteria from the Statis took him, the antibiotics didn't work fast enough.

RIP Little man :(

2e4i13o.jpg

Please note that the corn thing on that picture was attached to the cage when we bought it and was taken out after the photo, was only a chew toy for his teeth but after I looked at it abit further i didn't think it was too safe

Back