• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my bun won't eat

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Hi,

Marley has stopped eating. This morning we noticed that Marley wasn't his usual self this morning-he wouldn't come out from under the bed (where he sleeps) and has refused all food. I think it's because we have changed his pellets from Oxbow alfalfa to oxbow timothy...I was doing it gradually.
I took him to the vets and he has been given Metacam, Metoclopramide, Baytril and another painkiller (but I have forgotten the name). I have also been given Supreme recovery to syringe feed him with. She had a look at his teeth and couldn't see any noticable spurs and couldn't feel any blockages in his tummy.

He is not himself at all and is just sitting hunched up in the corner. I have syringe fed him twice since I got back from the vets-last one at 2pm. I have also been syringing him cooled boiled water and have been giving him Infacol. I also have the heating on so he doesn't get too cold.

I am so worried about him. Is there anything else I can do? I have tried everything to tempt him to eat...basil, parsley, toast, porridge, apple, bananna and he isn't interested in anything.

I am finding it hard to syringe him..sometimes he refuses to swallow and it just dribbles out of his mouth..should I try mushing his usual pellets with water and feeding that instead-he might prefer the taste? Ideally how much water and syringe food should he be having? He weighs 2kg.

This is just what Lola was like.

I made some tea with dandelions and syringe fed her that, she did dribble some but at least some got in. I soaked her pellets in hot water, left it to cool and mushed them up. I rubbed her tummy and also tried to get her to run around to get her bowels moving.

I tried to tempt her with everything, dandelions soaked in warm water went down first.

Did the vet not give you any syringe feed? Mine didnt at first, they gave me it the second time.

I do believe the syringe feeding saved her life, as her tummy went into action after. It did stress Lola, she hated it but its worth sticking with.

Lola made a miraculous recovery, I hope Marley gets well soon x x x

Thanks Cat..I am so glad Lola got better-she is such a gorgeous bun :love:

I will try mushing up his regular pellets-we have been given some Supreme recovery food to syringe but I don't think it's very tasty...I let our other bun Bella smell the syringe when it was full-she sniffed it and ran away!

I don't have any dandelions to make a tea with-there are lots on the common near us, but I don't want to pick them incase they have pesticide on them. We have cammomile tea, do you think that would work?

I'm going to syringe feed him again in an hour or so-I feel awful doing it as he really doesn't like it, but I know it's for the best.

I just hope he gets better.

Thank you!

Did the Vet give Marley any fluids under his skin ?

If the other painkiller he had, apart from Metacam, was Vetergesic, Torbugesic or Buprenorphine then he will probably be very sleepy as these drugs are opiates which have a sedating effect aswell as being strong analgesics.

Did the Vet check his bladder ? Sometimes a bladder infection/bladder sludge can present as acute abdominal pain and anorexia leading to GI stasis.

I would try to get him to take about 20ml liquid feed every 2 hours.
If he struggles dont force the issue, try just syringing cooled boiled water instead. A Herbal Mint and Camomile Tea can be soothing for a Buns sore tummy. Many of my Rabbits will take this if they are poorly.

Try some very gentle abdominal massage too. That can help disperse painful gas in the intetines and encourage gut motility.

Thank you.

He hasn't had any fluids under his skin..the vet said he wasn't dehydrated, she pinched his skin, but I suppose that isn't a reliable test.

I think it may have been Buprenorphine-I hadn't heard of the painkiller before and it hasn't been detailed on the vet receipt, three injections have been charged for, but 4 were given.

I will ask about bladder problems, he did a wee this morning on the floor and it was clear and not white, but he hasn't done one since.

I will try cammomile tea and tummy rubs aswell-though he won't let me touch his tummy at the mo.

Am to call the vets tomorrow morning and let them know how he is and bring him in if he isn't any better. She mentioned him being nursed in the surgery if he doesn't get any better and possibly a GA to rule out dental problems. I hope it doesn't come to that and he gets better soon.

Thanks so much!

Did the Vet give Marley any fluids under his skin ?

If the other painkiller he had, apart from Metacam, was Vetergesic, Torbugesic or Buprenorphine then he will probably be very sleepy as these drugs are opiates which have a sedating effect aswell as being strong analgesics.

Did the Vet check his bladder ? Sometimes a bladder infection/bladder sludge can present as acute abdominal pain and anorexia leading to GI stasis.

I would try to get him to take about 20ml liquid feed every 2 hours.
If he struggles dont force the issue, try just syringing cooled boiled water instead. A Herbal Mint and Camomile Tea can be soothing for a Buns sore tummy. Many of my Rabbits will take this if they are poorly.

Try some very gentle abdominal massage too. That can help disperse painful gas in the intetines and encourage gut motility.

I didnt know they gave buns Buprenorphine - its what is commonly used to help heroin addicts detox:shock:

Oh Aimee I hope Marley feels better soon.

Please let me know how he is getting on. Text/ring me anytime you want. xxx

Thanks guys,

He's no better, no eating, no poos or wees. He just isn't himself and he is so unhappy. I am going to take him to the emergency vet and try to get some fluids injected into him. He was given 0.8ml of 0.5% metacam earlier so will ask if he needs some more pain relief or another Metoclop inection.

Hiya this is what happened to Matilda and she kept dribbling the recovery food. Basically the vet made it up very liquidy more than I did at home and gave her fluids as well. She also showed me to put Matilda on a table with her facing away from me and then pull her head up and syringe her. She took so much more down. Matilda made a full recovery the next day. I hope everything goes ok at the vets and Marley recovers x x

I am getting more and more worried about him. He still hasn't eaten anything and it has been over 24hours now.

The emergency vet gave him 40mls of subcut fluids and Vetergesic painkiller. I am to take him in to his normal vets when they open this morning.

I have been syringe feeding him as much as he will take every two hours (although I am worried I am not doing it right).

Should I ask for him to be kept in at the vets on a drip and syringe fed?

Im so sorry to hear about Marley.I think it would be an idea to get an X ray done and have his teeth checked.Sending massive vibes Marleys way

I am getting more and more worried about him. He still hasn't eaten anything and it has been over 24hours now.

The emergency vet gave him 40mls of subcut fluids and Vetergesic painkiller. I am to take him in to his normal vets when they open this morning.

I have been syringe feeding him as much as he will take every two hours (although I am worried I am not doing it right).

Should I ask for him to be kept in at the vets on a drip and syringe fed?

I would say 'yes'
The Vet needs to establish the cause of his anorexia. But whilst this is beeing done supportive care is essential and giving fluids and meds IV is preferable for a Bun that is very 'flat'.
Syringe feeding is something that should only be done if a GI obstruction has been excluded. Syringe feeding a sick and stressed Rabbit is also something that requires extreme care.

Please let us know how you get on.

I recommend dental teeth check, including x-ray on molar growing upwards towards the jaw.

For the time being, I'm never a big fan of Sc. Recovery or CC. I always believe that since a bun is not eating, you need tasty good food to tempt him to eat. I recommend the following force feeding:

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

You also need a lot of fluid to supercharge his system. Inject Sub-Q NaCl under his skin:

needle9sq.jpg

it's a very simple task:

1) You hold down the bun
2) lift the loose fur 2 inch from the back of his neck, now you form that empty air "pocket" from the diagram above
3) push the needle in, if it's a small bun, push in approx. just over 0.5 inch
4) release the valve from the NaCl tube
5) You'll notice the drip keep on coming from the valve
6) when done, turn off the valve and pull the needle out

P.S. When you buy the tube/valve kit, ask for the Macro Kit, the macro kit allows the NaCl to drip much faster into the body

here's a very useful link on GI stasis:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=124510

wow you make it sound so easy:shock::wave:

poor marley.id get a recheck....gut obstructions...bladder issues or ga for full dental......all worth asking to be checked n recheckd.
i found critical care by oxbow is tolerated way better than science recovery.....dont know why with my buns but there you go.

if they wont take that..i usually feed stage one human baby food jars...fruit ones like hipp organic pear and apple pudding........ans sometimes that with a watery cc topping and syringe it all together..messy..difficut and upsetting for bunster and you. if the struggles stressing bunny out stop and ring the vets..ask for an overnite stay and fluids....and if yiu can do all this it means youll have clearance from the vet re a blockage.

my vet says you cannot tell if a buns dehydrated by pinching its skin......if in doubt...sub cut fluids........she gave bertie it in the exam room at our tiny branch surgery and he picked up a lot..combined with zantac........

when bandit was dying..the vet said you could tell he was dehydrated...she pulled down his lower eyelid and it hung there istead of going back.

i hope the vet can find out whats wrong asap....vibes for marley xx

I have just heard from Aimee that poor Marley has passed away.

Please all send her, Nav and Bella some peaceful vibes. They are such a lovely couple and Marley so very sweet.

Rest in peace beautiful boy. Thank you for showing Bella true love. xxx

I have just heard from Aimee that poor Marley has passed away.

Please all send her, Nav and Bella some peaceful vibes. They are such a lovely couple and Marley so very sweet.

Rest in peace beautiful boy. Thank you for showing Bella true love. xxx

Oh no !! :cry:

Binky Free Marley

xx

Bella had to have a dental too but seems to be coming round nicely.

Poor boy, I am sitting here crying so god knows how they are feeling.

You will be missed Marley. I hope you will be happy at the Bridge. I know your mummy and daddy will look after Bella so don't you worry. xxx

Back