• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muscle wastage

Well I thought he had. But no bloods or xray done?! She said she could feel no thickening - which suggests its not arthritis. She did all the usual, ears, eyes, teeth, claws and bum checks and could find nothing else. Then she said he had lost muscle around that leg and that it was probably just age related (as he'll be 9 in April). She also said she didn't feel xrays etc would show anything and wasn't worth putting him through that amount of diagnosis because he is a very stressed rabbit and it would probably show nothing. She also spoke of a friend who had just gone through the same with her rabbit and said she had hers tested for everything and they all came to nothing.

To be honest I felt assured by her, she seemed to be making sense, and had said he isn't showing signs of pain. He's been put on metacam which he is taking with a small piece of mashed banana. I tried to medicate him direct but he could very upset by it and now hides from me until I say all done, which means I'm not going to try and pick him up anymore! I offered it to him direct but he wasn't interested (though the girls sniffed it on me and tried to eat my top)

The thing is Jane, I'm scared of vets when it comes to rabbits. They really don't seem as on the ball as they are with other pets. The vets I used this time for Jazz were the savvy ones I found when getting the girls spayed. When I took them for a check at my usual vets they said it was a highly dangerous and unnecessary operation and that two girls will always fight and should just be separated - and they are a vets listed on the rabbit savvy list :(

I know I can't have him forever, and thats not what I'm trying to do. All I want is for him to be comfortable and happy.

You could speak with the Rabbit Savvy Vet again and ask her if she thinks some gentle physiotherapy/massage may help. It can promote blood circulation to the muscles and help reduce the rate of loss of muscle mass/tone. But if Jazz is a stress head he may not be able to tolerate that amount of hands on care ? When trying to manage a chronic condition with some Rabbits their quality of life means that we can only do the absolute minimum with regards to direct intervention/hands on care. Some Rabbits can put up with a lot of handling/medicating every day for months/years. Some can barely cope with it for a day. If Jazz is fine within himself (you may be more bothered by his wobbliness than he is) then you may just need to continue as you are. I too would not want to rush into any diagnostics that may require a GA.

I'd keep a check on his hocks, especially on the 'stronger' back leg as he may be taking much more weight on that side causing some fur loss.

Thank you for this. I think I will phone and discuss this as an option :)

Might be worth a try before going into X-rays and all that stuff, which is quite stressful. It's worked well for my rabbits, when it's been necessary. It takes a few days to kick in, and lasts 5/6 weeks :)

You could speak with the Rabbit Savvy Vet again and ask her if she thinks some gentle physiotherapy/massage may help. It can promote blood circulation to the muscles and help reduce the rate of loss of muscle mass/tone. But if Jazz is a stress head he may not be able to tolerate that amount of hands on care ? When trying to manage a chronic condition with some Rabbits their quality of life means that we can only do the absolute minimum with regards to direct intervention/hands on care. Some Rabbits can put up with a lot of handling/medicating every day for months/years. Some can barely cope with it for a day. Jazz is fine within himself (you may be more bothered by his wobbliness than he is) then you may just need to continue as you are. I too would not want to rush into any diagnostics that may require a GA.

I'd keep a check on his hocks, especially on the 'stronger' back leg as he may be taking much more weight on that side causing some fur loss.

You've hit the nail on the head Jane, he doesn't seem bothered by it. He's just getting on with things. I've seen him eating his cecals today so he can still reach etc. He enthusiastically munched his fenugreek crunchies this afternoon. He is very fluffy but has lost fur on his stronger back leg which I have applied vaseline to, it's not red or cracked in any way.

Back