• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr Chief being neutered

Glad to hear your good news. :) I follow and read this topic closely. I think your concerns are very right. The same process awaits me soon. When that time comes i can bother you often. :roll:

One thing we did notice is he was breathing really fast on way to vets this time. I guess he remembers last time more vividly.

When we got back and got him out his carrier the fur under his chin was soaked and looked like his fur was missing in places. We dried him off best we could with a towel but didn't want to upset him too much trying to look at it.

Anyway later we looked and it was fine. No missing fur! No pink patches. It must have been so soaked that it looked bald.

He must have been heavy breathing so much that he dribbled maybe? Has anyone seen that before? We are just a bit concerned about his teeth. He is eating hay and other chew toys with no trouble at all.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Glad to hear your good news. :) I follow and read this topic closely. I think your concerns are very right. The same process awaits me soon. When that time comes i can bother you often. :roll:
I will be happy to support you through it as you have done for me [emoji175]

One thing we did notice is he was breathing really fast on way to vets this time. I guess he remembers last time more vividly.

When we got back and got him out his carrier the fur under his chin was soaked and looked like his fur was missing in places. We dried him off best we could with a towel but didn't want to upset him too much trying to look at it.

Anyway later we looked and it was fine. No missing fur! No pink patches. It must have been so soaked that it looked bald.

He must have been heavy breathing so much that he dribbled maybe? Has anyone seen that before? We are just a bit concerned about his teeth. He is eating hay and other chew toys with no trouble at all.

I am well used to this happening with most of my recent rabbits. They have been so frightened going to the vets that they have all panted and also drooled, so that they were wet under their chin. With Tethra he panted so violently that when waiting to be seen in his carrier, the carrier would visibly shake :(

I'm sorry your pain has flared up again. I hope his wound recovers soon & you feel better soon too. He does sound like a diva - albeit an adorable one:love:

I am well used to this happening with most of my recent rabbits. They have been so frightened going to the vets that they have all panted and also drooled, so that they were wet under their chin. With Tethra he panted so violently that when waiting to be seen in his carrier, the carrier would visibly shake :(
Aw bless him. Not nice knowing they are frightened like that is it [emoji22]

Yes he was definitely scared this time. Makes you wonder how much they actually remember? He wasn't this scared going back after his chest X-ray and he had anaesthetic then too.

Maybe he was worried we would get other parts chopped off poor little thing! [emoji20]

It looks like somehow the stitches have gone on his wound! I don't know if it's where it was swollen and or he has pulled them out.

The wound itself looks like it is healing fine and has scar tissue that is forming well. It looks dry, no bleeding or oozing. And the swelling has gone right down aswell. I just worry in case wound is open to infection [emoji53]

We are due to go to vets this evening (Friday) at 6pm but I think I will ring them to check it's ok to leave it until evening.

He is fine otherwise - eating, drinking and pooping fine and no signs of pain or seeming unwell. He did a little half binky just now[emoji173]

Last edited:
It sounds like all is well if the wound is dry etc. He is eating etc well so I am sure your Vet will also confirm he is ok. It sounds like you are over the worst bit now!

Really hope the vets confirm that Mr Chief is well on the mend now, it does sound positive. Taking a frightened pet to the vets, is just awful, knowing that they don't understand. I had to take my cat George for a dental a couple of months ago. He was so scared he started shaking as soon as I left him, and when they put him in one of their cages, they could hear it rattling all over the surgery :(

I checked this morning and looks the same. There is a sort of split where the stitches should be but it looks dry. I think we are lucky thst the area is all shrinking and possibly there is little blood around the area now?

He is fine. Usual stroppy self throwing litter tray and bowls and toys about asking to come out his pen this morning. He makes such a racket!

I thought of leaving him in there but he is just too moody. Now he is asleep under bed quite happy after his usual morning snuggles.

Dreading the vets as hate seeing him so stressed but it has to be done. Hopefully there will be a trip today and only maybe one more to take stitches out completely?

We were thinking...when they are bonded they are supposed to go together aren't they? I'm just wondering how we would carry both of them when she is bigger! [emoji23] We have a small dog crate they could go in but I won't be able to lift it.

Plus I wonder if he would be more of a hindrance as he is so scared of the vets. Perhaps he will make her shake aswell?

Thank you for your posts Pets Mum and Tonibun it helped me sleep last night knowing he seemed ok [emoji4] xx

My vet uses surgical glue and disolving stitches, plus a layer of stitches inside. Sending vibes for his check tonight.

Mischief is fine [emoji4] He has had a little nibble and broke a stitch but luckily the wound has healed enough that it hasn't affected it much.

We have to take him back on Tuesday evening to get stitches taken out.

I also asked OH to ask for eye drops. His eyes are still weepy and a little bloodshot and I have to wipe is eyes every day and they do get a little red on the area where it is weeping. I used Isathal eye drops from PDSA before with good results. They stopped weeping and his eyes looked less red and bloodshot. So my OH asked vet if they would be a good idea and they have ordered some in. Probably cost a fortune when we could have got them through PDSA but it's done now and he is worth every penny! [emoji173]

I gave him his pain meds an hour before he went into carrier and I don't know if it made the difference but his breathing wasn't as fast this time and under his chin is much drier so result there!

Whether it is good practice to give him meds before vet visits is another question however he is currently on them anyway so I just gave it an hour earlier than normal.

One more trip hopefully and it's done and dusted! [emoji3]

They said he needs stitches out apparently? I guess vets all work differently? Or maybe my OH heard it wrong? We will find out on Tuesday...
Thanks for the best wishes everybun xx

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit concerned about Mischief.

He had his stitches out yesterday and vet said all was fine. Since then though he has been very quiet and lying under the bed. He is eating and pooping although only about half his greens and most of his pellets and a lot less poops than normal. My OH saw him drinking earlier. But he has spent most of the day under the bed.

Could it be the heat? We have the fan on and it is quite cool in our flat as in the basement but obviously it is still a hot day.

We have tried calling him out and he just lies there. And my OH just cleaned out his litter tray and tidied up and he normally comes out to investigate. Are other bunnies behaving like this due to the weather? I know I need to react quickly if he is poorly. How do I know if it is ill health or just the heat? Thank you xx

Last edited:
Back