• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breathing noisily (from nose?)

Mr Chief suddenly started breathing very loudly last night. He was running about fine and then we heard this weird noise under the bed and it was Mischief. It sounded like a loud snuffly noise coming from his nose. I wiped it carefully and checked he wasn't choking.

After that it changed to a quieter snuffly sound then it stopped. He has been fine ever since. I tried searching for other posts like this but I found choking posts but nothing from noses.

We are going to take him to PDSA in morning as it is nearer to us and Mischief hates the vets. I wondered if he got something stuck in his nose?

He has been shaking his ears for a couple of days aswell. I checked his ears and he has some wax build up again so he needs ear drops anyway.

I'm more concerned these signs are leading to an upper respiratory tract infection as he had a serious lung infection a while ago. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience with their buns at all please?

Hope everybun is well. Nose bumbs from Mr Chief and Lillabelle [emoji173][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Could be the start of an URTI, his sinuses might be full of gunk which is yet to come out Given that his ears are gunky again the two issues are probably connected. Definitely a good idea to get him Vet checked ASAP.

Nebulising could be very beneficial if he is very nasally congested, alongside whatever treatment the Vet prescribes.

If you have recently started to put central heating on this could have triggered a flare up of his Respiratory Tract problems. Central heating creates a dry atmosphere. Using room humidifiers can sometimes be beneficial if CH was to be bothering him.

Hope all goes well at the Vets :)

That would be scary, so I am glad he is breathing better.
Sending vibes for Mischief, and cuddles for Lillabelle

Sending vibes for Mischief, I hope it's nothing serious. My bun had pasteurella at the start of the year and she was very snuffly but given Mischief has a history of respiratory issues perhaps it is more likely to be linked to that.

Hope vets visit goes well, and it's nothing to worry about. Sending lots of vibes for your boy xx

Sneding Mischief lots of vibes. I hope it's something easily treatable and that the vet visit won't upset him very much. Sophie has had noisy breathing some of the time for years now, but we've never found anything wrong with her nose or the rest of her respiratory tract, so I can't really tell you anything about it... Since Mischief has had respiratory issues before, though, it could very well be related to that.

Sorry for late replies due to my own health

My OH took Mischief to PDSA on Monday and vet checked him over. She said his nose is snuffly so could be the start of a URI so prescribed Baytril. His ears are full of wax but otherwise looked fine and gave us ear drops to soften his ear wax. His breathing sounds fine so that is good news!

Mr Chief seems perfectly fine other than that. He is chasing Lilabelle around and doing little binkies where he does a little jump and shakes his head. This is active for Mischief! [emoji23]

He really frightened me but my OH said I was worrying too much. I think you can't take breathing issues lightly. I am happy he is eating and drinking fine aswell [emoji4]

Thank you everyone for the kind post on here as always. They do scare us sometimes! x

Could be the start of an URTI, his sinuses might be full of gunk which is yet to come out Given that his ears are gunky again the two issues are probably connected. Definitely a good idea to get him Vet checked ASAP.

Nebulising could be very beneficial if he is very nasally congested, alongside whatever treatment the Vet prescribes.

If you have recently started to put central heating on this could have triggered a flare up of his Respiratory Tract problems. Central heating creates a dry atmosphere. Using room humidifiers can sometimes be beneficial if CH was to be bothering him.

Hope all goes well at the Vets :)
Thank you. We do have to keep an eye on his snuffling and have to take him back if it persists.

We do not have the heating on yet as try to live without it where we can. We still have the windows open and a cold fan on 1st setting. Is that unusual?

I should think the buns do better without heating on aswell? Don't rabbits do better if cool? We will have an oil heater on really low when it gets too cold. We can't do freezing any more than the buns do! Mr Chief likes the warmth of the heater though [emoji173]

Sending vibes for Mischief, I hope it's nothing serious. My bun had pasteurella at the start of the year and she was very snuffly but given Mischief has a history of respiratory issues perhaps it is more likely to be linked to that.
I hope your bun is fine now x

I am another one to worry, though with bunnies I think it is best to be cautious.
I hope abx will keep any uri from taking hold.

Sneding Mischief lots of vibes. I hope it's something easily treatable and that the vet visit won't upset him very much. Sophie has had noisy breathing some of the time for years now, but we've never found anything wrong with her nose or the rest of her respiratory tract, so I can't really tell you anything about it... Since Mischief has had respiratory issues before, though, it could very well be related to that.
Mischief is the same! He makes such cute noises while he sleeps. Little snores and squeaks! However I am aware that he did not really snore as loudly before his LTI but he has always snored! [emoji7]

Mischief and Lilabelle send nose bumps and hope Casper and Sophie are well [emoji173][emoji173]

I am another one to worry, though with bunnies I think it is best to be cautious.
I hope abx will keep any uri from taking hold.
Yes I have always worried but then we have had to nurse a couple of mine through bad illness so that has made me more vigilant I guess. Buns are such delicate creatures xx

Mischief is the same! He makes such cute noises while he sleeps. Little snores and squeaks! However I am aware that he did not really snore as loudly before his LTI but he has always snored! [emoji7]

Mischief and Lilabelle send nose bumps and hope Casper and Sophie are well [emoji173][emoji173]

Sophie snores as well, and really loudly sometimes! I can always tell when she's fallen asleep. :lol:

Thank you. :love: They're not doing too great at the moment, but we're managing.

Sophie snores as well, and really loudly sometimes! I can always tell when she's fallen asleep. [emoji38]

Thank you. :love: They're not doing too great at the moment, but we're managing.
Oh no really? I'm sure you have said on posts on here but I haven't been keeping up to date. I feel bad not coming on here unless I have a question for my bunnies. I'm just struggling day to day and my OH has started doing the cleaning for the bunnies. I just do their feeds now and hay/herbs etc. The nice part [emoji23]

What is going on with your babies? Have you a post on here you could link me to please? Sending good vibes for both of them [emoji173]

Oh no really? I'm sure you have said on posts on here but I haven't been keeping up to date. I feel bad not coming on here unless I have a question for my bunnies. I'm just struggling day to day and my OH has started doing the cleaning for the bunnies. I just do their feeds now and hay/herbs etc. The nice part [emoji23]

What is going on with your babies? Have you a post on here you could link me to please? Sending good vibes for both of them [emoji173]

Aw, it's really understandable that you're not able to manage coming on here except when you need to ask something about Mischief or Lillabelle. You can only do what your health allows you to, and nothing more, so it makes sense that reading everything on here is too much. I'm sorry you're struggling. I can relate to only doing the nice part of taking care of the bunnies. :lol: My mum has been doing most of the cleaning for me for the past half year because it's too hard on my health, so I'm mostly only doing the feeding, too. ;)

You've already found their threads, and I really appreciate your reading some of them. Basically, they've both been having bladder problems for a few weeks now. First Sophie, and then Casper developed the exact same symptoms a little while later. We're still not really sure what's going on and why they both have bladder issues at the same time, but we're treating them for E. cuniculi now just in case. Thank you for the vibes. :love:

Back