• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr Chief being neutered

It might also be the space restriction making him grumpy. They never understand its for their own good.

I've not had yucky poop with pain meds. Is it possible they gave him something at the vets like an antibiotics that might upset him?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

This is what I was thinking. How long did the vet say he should be in the pen?

It might also be the space restriction making him grumpy. They never understand its for their own good.

I've not had yucky poop with pain meds. Is it possible they gave him something at the vets like an antibiotics that might upset him?

It could be the pen. He isn't asking to come out though. He is quiet really just sitting on his tray he likes. Although he could be sulking and moody with us [emoji38]

They didn't mention any antibiotics. Could the soft poo be because his gut slowed down maybe from not eating much again? He didn't eat much when we went out. I cleaned litter tray before we went and 4 hours later there were no poops.

He is eating again well. Munching lots of veggies so I'm not worried at moment. Just wondered about the stinky soft poop really x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

This is what I was thinking. How long did the vet say he should be in the pen?
Well they didn't actually say. We have next check up on Tuesday at 6pm though.

We don't want to let him out completely as he will go under the bed (his fave spot) and we can't see him. He also won't be near water bottle. And it gets very messy putting all the food and hay under the bed.

We were thinking of gradually letting him out more for a while each day to stretch his legs and just watch he doesn't jump on/off bed or anything but that's not always that easy. We can put a step by bed though.

But also means he can have affection from us and he really is a soppy bunny so will miss cuddle time. And we can let him have time under bed for a while after eating and let him chill maybe?

Well they didn't actually say. We have next check up on Tuesday at 6pm though.

We don't want to let him out completely as he will go under the bed (his fave spot) and we can't see him. He also won't be near water bottle. And it gets very messy putting all the food and hay under the bed.

We were thinking of gradually letting him out more for a while each day to stretch his legs and just watch he doesn't jump on/off bed or anything but that's not always that easy. We can put a step by bed though.

But also means he can have affection from us and he really is a soppy bunny so will miss cuddle time. And we can let him have time under bed for a while after eating and let him chill maybe?

I think if you can keep an eye on him, and make sure he doesn't jump up or off anything, it might do him good. I hope he continues to make a good recovery x

I've also taken the dog crate tray out. I'm worried water is dripping on tray and although I'm wiping it up it could still get him wet by accident. And he is supposed to be on soft bedding and don't want him injuring himself.

I think if you can keep an eye on him, and make sure he doesn't jump up or off anything, it might do him good. I hope he continues to make a good recovery x
Thank you. Yes I think you are right. He is probably wondering what he has done to be segregated from us. I think he looks at us as other bunnies in a warren living together aswell so he wants to be part of the group.

It's going to be fun bonding him with baby if this is the case. He could be stuck in puppy pen for days and days without a break! x

Last edited:
Rodney gets very sulky when confined but was mostly OK with bonding once we started.

The side by side living was hard for him as his free roaming was halfed so he got extra chew toys while Blossom was out and vice versa.

I'd see if you can increase his space a bit and just keep an eye on the jumping.

Hubby has had half this operation and he was definitely grumpy for a good week or two!

We will probably let Mischief out more with the side by side living arrangement. He won't cope well with 6 panels (all we can fit in there with the cage) and we were thinking of putting baby in the XL cage in the lounge when we let him out as he could touch baby through cage bars? Don't know if this is right. I will worry about that at the time though as think I need to deal with it in stages due to my own MH [emoji38]

He is in 8 panel pen now. We can't increase it anymore so we will let him out for a while couple of times a day and gradually increase the time out. Maybe open up the pen for clear access later on.

Oh dear poor hubby!

After neutering he will have big hormone surges for 6-8 weeks so this will contribute to his grumpiness.

I only keep my Bucks caged for 48 hours after neutering. I let them have access to their usual space after that but just prevent them from jumping onto anything.

Worth bearing in mind that Baby Rabbit may be able to squeeze through cage bars. Nipping can occur through bars too if two unbonded Rabbits are caged side by side.

After neutering he will have big hormone surges for 6-8 weeks so this will contribute to his grumpiness.

I only keep my Bucks caged for 48 hours after neutering. I let them have access to their usual space after that but just prevent them from jumping onto anything.

Worth bearing in mind that Baby Rabbit may be able to squeeze through cage bars. Nipping can occur through bars too if two unbonded Rabbits are caged side by side.
I did read that before yes. I think it may actually have been one of your posts. I did think that this morning as he is VERY grumpy. I have never seen him like this before. He was growling when we moved towards him and god forbid us touching his toys! He would pounce at us! [emoji38]

I'm used to it as my first frenchie was a very grumpy little mare. She used to growl and pounce if you ever went in her area and used to run at my daughter and chase her out the room! We are just keeping it quiet and as possible for Mr Chief and respecting his space, moving slowly if in his area for any reason.

I love that he is protecting his area and toys though. He has been lying guarding his grass hoop which is now half a hoop. He lay munching away at it last night and he looked in bunny heaven. He also loves Mr Carrot and if you go near it he picks it up in his mouth [emoji7]

He absolutely loves his digging herb garden. I let him play with it before bed for a while and he didn't stop digging and eating it. We will have to look into growing weeds and herbs in our yard for him somehow.

Yesterday when we let him out he changed into a different bun. He was exploring everything hopping around marking it all and coming up to us for attention and cuddles then off exploring again. So content.

We can't stop him from jumping on bed. We have a low bed anyway and we have created steps either side of the bed with wooden crates and a sofa cushion on top. He can do a hop up onto the bed easily without straining.

Last night he was playing with his toys and chewing so loud I could hardly sleep but I didn't mind. And he lay by the pen right where I sleep the other side which was so cute [emoji175]

He has been let out again and taken panel away but after a quick look about and a long cuddle wuth us lying side by side on bed he has now lay down in play pen for a sleep. I'm happy about that as means he sees that as a secure place.

He is eating well. Gradually more veggies and hay and even a few pellets. He had another soft stinky poop in litter tray last night. But otherwise lots of good poops and size is bit better too plus drinking loads.

As everyone said it was a straightforward procedure and he is recovering well. Thank you all for your support through this time [emoji173]

We are going to keep puppy pen for Mischief and cage for baby a little apart so they can't nip each other.

When we let him out we are going to put baby in lounge in another big dog crate so he can't hassle or nip her. I'm not sure about the other way around yet as we don't have somewhere to put him. We will work it out somehow. She can't get right through these bars but would be able to get her face through so we are aware to watch she doesn't get nipped [emoji6]

I'm pleased that it sounds as though Mr Chief is recovering very well. I hope things are still positive. Is it tomorrow that you return to the vet for his check-up?

Sorry not replied my pain is back and I'm really struggling.
Mischief had his check up yesterday and he is really swollen still so we need to carty on with anti-inflammatories til Friday and take him back Friday at 6pm for another check up.

They are pleased he is eating/drinking/pooping well though [emoji4]

Apparently he was thumping his back foot loads when in vets for his neutering. All the staff seem to know him now. They called him 'the beast' as he is so big [emoji38] x

I am following this issue closely. I send so many vibrations for him. Xxxxxxxxxx

Sometimes they do swell up but it disappears eventually. The Vet told me it was fluid, nothing to worry too much about. Sorry to hear you are in pain :cry:

Thank you everybun for your kind words x

I think he is doing ok. He is very stroppy at the moment. I opened up his puppy pen gate for him to come out but I don't think he realised.

He started chucking about his hay (at moment in a litter tray) and all his toys and he has totally wrecked a towel chewing it aswell. He has made a right mess and we are having to do a thorough clean out every day and now it is trashed again! [emoji30]

He is like an angry teenager! Reminds me of my daughter when she used to throw things around her bedroom [emoji23]

Anyway I got up and showed him that the gate was open and he has come out and lying under bed now (his favourite spot).

He was so cute last night. He lay next to me with his head on my arm and fell asleep for about half an hour. He was twitching and squeaking. I never knew rabbits squeaked until I had him. He sounds like a guinea pig [emoji38]

He also did a huge sigh of comfort. He kept waking up and wriggling a bit closer to me then shutting his eyes again and going to sleep. It never fails to amaze me how he falls asleep in seconds! I wish I could do that! I guess bunnies doze rather than sleep? But then when he is asleep nothing seems to wake him!

I'm so glad the op is over and know he is safe and well. I know I may have seemed I am over-worrying to some but I've not had a pet neutered before and I'm well aware of the risk of anaesthetic. Plus he is my baby. I don't have much in life as hardly go out the house except to see my kids and he brings me so much comfort.

And now I can just enjoy him and look forward to the little baby bunny coming in 3 weeks today!

I'm so excited for me and Mr Chief [emoji3]

Last edited:
Back