• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mr Chief being neutered

Hi everyone.

I'm a bit concerned about Mischief.

He had his stitches out yesterday and vet said all was fine. Since then though he has been very quiet and lying under the bed. He is eating and pooping although only about half his greens and most of his pellets and a lot less poops than normal. My OH saw him drinking earlier. But he has spent most of the day under the bed.

Could it be the heat? We have the fan on and it is quite cool in our flat as in the basement but obviously it is still a hot day.

We have tried calling him out and he just lies there. And my OH just cleaned out his litter tray and tidied up and he normally comes out to investigate. Are other bunnies behaving like this due to the weather? I know I need to react quickly if he is poorly. How do I know if it is ill health or just the heat? Thank you xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Its Mischief who really hates vet visits & slobbers (sorry I could be thinking of another bun?) If so it maybe that another visit has made him anxious . It could also be the heat though I'd expect it to be cooler now & bunnies would pick up? Whether he is out of sorts physically or psychologically I'd say the important bit for tonight is coaxing him to eat as much as possible so he doesn't get in to problems through his gut slowing down. I hope he is doing much better by tomorrow

Its Mischief who really hates vet visits & slobbers (sorry I could be thinking of another bun?) If so it maybe that another visit has made him anxious . It could also be the heat though I'd expect it to be cooler now & bunnies would pick up? Whether he is out of sorts physically or psychologically I'd say the important bit for tonight is coaxing him to eat as much as possible so he doesn't get in to problems through his gut slowing down. I hope he is doing much better by tomorrow
Yes that's him. He does have a slightly sore line under his chin which I think might be wear he has been biting the puppy pen to get out. We are letting him out as much as possible now but still put him in there at night as then he eats his hay and food more. If we don't he will not eat enough hay.

That makes sense thank you. I will make sure to try and keep him eating. We have severe thunderstorms here at moment so hopefully when the air clears he will pick up. I gave him a cuddle and he ate a treat.

He had some greens and blueberries earlier. I'm hoping as the air cools he will be more active. I will keep close eye on him tonight xx

I just coaxed him out again and pushed him into puppy pen but left door open and showed him his bowl of greens and he ate some and then just came out and lay down again. But I will try and get him to eat more x

good update. you make sure you look after yourself too. vets must be so confusing to bunnies. hoping he'll be totally back to himself tomorrow x

Thank you. My OH has been looking after me like he always does [emoji178] I've had a bad week. Really want this pain to end so I can wash my hair [emoji22] I just haven't had the strength for it plus the heat aswell.

Hopefully Mischief will be better once the storm passes and I won't have to worry.

I just thought he has started to moult and has started to get a line on his nose. He has extremely long thick fur even for a frenchie. Maybe the moulting process is making him quiet aswell? Or it could just be the warm weather and being in a carrier to vets. Hopefully I will have a better update soon xx

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that it will be the heat that has effected Mr C. All my Rabbits are less enthusiastic about food during the day, they are all eating more overnight. During the day they are also more sedentary too.

That's a good point my two have almost become nocturnal. They definitely perk up when it starts getting a lot cooler around 10pm

To be honest I'm the same I find the heat relentless

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. As IM said I think it's the heat. He was in his puppy pen last night and this morning it was totally trashed! [emoji23]

Hay everywhere, bits of chew toys and cardboard plus all his food and a lot of his hay has gone.

I put fan slightly directed on to him last night but at same time don't like to put it on him full on so he can't escape it. He has no house in there to go in. Just blankets over half the pen as a covered area.

There was a massive thunderstorm here in Margate last night. The lightning felt like it would strike us in our bed it was so close and fierce! Did others experience that? I love thunderstorms! [emoji3]

I will keep eye on his moulting aswell Zoobec. Thanks for the note on gut slow down. I had forgotten that. He is pooping fine at moment and I am brushing him regularly but I'm starting to find big clumps of white fur from his chest area I think. So if he was to ingest it I could see it causing him problems.

On that note I need to get him a better brush. Has anyone any good suggestions? His fur is very thick and long so needs to be able to brush through the fur.

Thanks for posts everyone xx

Last edited:
I'm finding the Cat Zoom Groom fantastic for Rodney's thick fur.

Then a damp hand for his nose if he let's me as that seems to work better on the short hairs he has there.

I'm finding the Cat Zoom Groom fantastic for Rodney's thick fur.

Then a damp hand for his nose if he let's me as that seems to work better on the short hairs he has there.

Thank you. I did think a cat or dog brush might work well but it's difficult to order online as you can't see what you are buying xx

Back