• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting and pooing - advice please

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Hi all

Maple has always had some really heavy moults and this current one is no different, think we're week 5 in so far and still going, that's with daily brushing and gentle pulling of the fur. She's a Dutch so not even a long haired rabbit!!

Anyway my problem is that she is always a bit sluggish and grumpy during a moult and often get those daisy chain like poos but I've just come back from a weekend away, my dad had Maple, and the poos he has cleared out are massive clumps of tiny dry poos wet slushy poos and the daisy chain ones. Obviously all linked to the fur in her tummy in my mind.

She is eating and drinking ( currently chewing a naturals breakfast cookie) but she hasn't taken treats as usual over the weekend and my dad said shes not been interested in pellets, mainly veg and herbs. She also just escaped from her quarters and had a good old run around the entire house so she is agile enough.

Do you think I should have any concerns or is this normal during a moult? She's two years old spayed and lives indoors. I don't want to take her to the vet unnecessarily as if she is stressed and tired from moulting and its nothing else she does get quite stressed at the vet.

Any thoughts? Is this normal bunny moulting behavior to have a mix of poos like that? I saw her eating cecatrophs last night so not sure if the soft wet pops were extras or a funny tunmy?!

I know I'm babbling now but I don't want to miss anything out!

She's actually just been to the loo in her cleaned out cage and I can see just a few (maybe 10 ) tiny dark hard black poos an she didnt poo over night ( thats not uncommmon though) If you would take her to the vet what would you ask for? I want to know exactly what I should ask for if I go down.

Thank you! :)

Have booked her in for 12.15 - eating fine but the fact the pops aren't appearing has me worrried, any advice I. What you think she should be coming away with appreciated!!

Back