• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mite treatment

Hi sarah my three boys are being treated for mites at the moment ... they are due to get their second jab tomorrow they have to have a course of three injections ... 10 to 14 days apart.

The evil mites rolf had disappeared v v quickly with spot on treatment like some people have already said. He licked quite a bit off but enough stays to make a difference - this stuff also keeps flystrike and fleas at bay and v cheap from vets! Would really recommend it!!

Laura and Rolf

Just to update you all...

They went for their check up today and the vet was disapointed the Spot on cream hadnt really cleaned them up. I have been giving some mite shampoo. I washed them both earlyer with it and i go back on Thursday for the injections.

Well at least they are getting sorted :D My buns had their second of the three injections today they are going back again in 13 days for their final injection.

Hope your bunnies go on ok :D

Thanks 5 cuties!! I hope yours all get cleared up too. Did you try anything else before the injections like the spot on cream or shampoo?

My vet showed me one of the fur mites through a magfiying glass, yuck i could see the legs moving! :(

No they opted straight for the jabs ... they think that they are the best form of treatment ..... so went along with what they said.

Yuck at viewing them unders a magnifying glass, Im glad I dint look .... I couldnt believe how tiny they are ... just like specks of dirt

I guess if your bun has just a few of the mites then spot on treatment might be best. Wish i went stright for the jabs now!

Yes they are soo small, but they are ugly little things i tell you!

I wonder what causes fur mites?

I don't know ... I have been told various things by various people

They can get on your pets through contaminated bedding

Passing from one infected animal to another

And that when an animal is feeling under the weather .. they can just develop them ...

Don't know if these are all true.... any rescues out there like to add there experienced knowledge ???????

PLEEEEAASEEEEEEE

When i first went to the vet she said it was normally past with bedding, so i changed it and got rid of what i had left and started a new bag. When i went back today the man told me it could be anything!

Would be interesting to know how to prevent these from occuring in the future! :)

Great thanks for that! Yes my vet said they were fur mights that live in the fur. Least they arn't harmful!

Thanks for that :) x

Back