• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Journey to vets

Hi everybun. I hope everybun are well. Sorry for not posting for ages!

Tjis is a quick question really. We are looking to take Mr & Mrs Chief to vets for check up and jabs. We have previously taken them to vets seperately in different carriers as they are so big. My OH has a bad hip so we need to bear that in mind. I can't carry either of them due to my bad neck/back.

Does it matter if they are carried seperately but put together in same cage at the vets? Or is it better to take them in same carrier bearing in mind Mischief hates the vets and doesn't eat when he comes back. If so we need to try and find a massive carrier! [emoji849]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is it a long journey, and would you be going by car. If it's not to far, and you have room, could they be put next to each other in the car, so that they could at least see and smell ?

Is it a long journey, and would you be going by car. If it's not to far, and you have room, could they be put next to each other in the car, so that they could at least see and smell ?
Hi Pets mum [emoji112] It is a 15-20 min ride in a taxi. We will both sit in back seat holding them so we can put them so they can see each other.

Hi Pets mum [emoji112] It is a 15-20 min ride in a taxi. We will both sit in back seat holding them so we can put them so they can see each other.

That's sounds ok to me, maybe give them something to munch to occupy them :). Good luck anyway, and hope Mr and Mrs Chief pass with flying colours :thumb:

I usually find it easier in separate carriers. Even two small bunnies can get remarkably heavy in one carrier, and it's awkward to sort them out in the consultation room. Much easier with one per carrier. If they are both going on the same journey, there shouldn't be an issue when they get home. It's also easier to get standard carriers in and out of a car. The bigger the carrier, the more awkward it is. The advantage to having a bigger carrier is for longer journeys eg moving house, when it's mainly stuck on a seat in transit for hours.

I agree with Shimmer. Do what's best for you and the Bunnies should be fine. Hope it all goes well!

That's sounds ok to me, maybe give them something to munch to occupy them :). Good luck anyway, and hope Mr and Mrs Chief pass with flying colours :thumb:
Sorry for late reply. Suffering with pain atm. I doubt they will eat tbh but we will give them a healthy treat or 2. Thank you for your help and luck :) x

I usually find it easier in separate carriers. Even two small bunnies can get remarkably heavy in one carrier, and it's awkward to sort them out in the consultation room. Much easier with one per carrier. If they are both going on the same journey, there shouldn't be an issue when they get home. It's also easier to get standard carriers in and out of a car. The bigger the carrier, the more awkward it is. The advantage to having a bigger carrier is for longer journeys eg moving house, when it's mainly stuck on a seat in transit for hours.
Thank you for your help. You give me some good reasons to go with 2 carriers ;) I had to cancel vets due to my health but they are booked in tomorrow.

I am nervous as Mr Chief has a white discharge from his eye and we could not take him before. This was next time vets was free. I wonder should I have just booked an urgent appointment but we need to take them for jabs aswell. He hates going to the vets so much.

However his eye still has a little discharge from it today. We have noticed he scans the room a lot in last few months aswell. We thought it was older age but now I am worried he has eye infection. I feel so guilty but my OH had to look after buns and I thought his eye looked better!

I have noticed he does not move about so much but he has always been lazy. I thought he was getting older. I now wonder if it is his eyes! I will feel terrible if this could have been prevented [emoji26]

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you haven't been well, and hope that the vet visit goes well tomorrow. Don't feel guilty about cancelling earlier visit, you need to look after yourself too. Hope you and Mr Chief feel better soon xx

Sorry to hear that you haven't been well, and hope that the vet visit goes well tomorrow. Don't feel guilty about cancelling earlier visit, you need to look after yourself too. Hope you and Mr Chief feel better soon xx
Thank you. Yes the buns had a little spruce up and nails clipped ready for vets. I hope they both pass vet check. Fingers crossed x

They are back from the vets. Jabs and check up over. They were both so good. Lillabelle was amazing! She just sat there and let vet check her over and even let vet put the torch in her mouth to have her teeth thoroughly checked. She has come on so much since Jane suggested we feed her pellets by hand [emoji4]

Mr Chief was a bit stressed out and the vet commented on his fast breathing but I said he always does this when he goes to the vets. His heart is fine albeit a fast heart rate. His eyes were not good as bloodshot and red but were fine at the back. She has given us some eyedrops for him.

He would not let her check his mouth easily at all. When she finally managed to check one side she said his molars were overgrown. He would not let her check the other side. So he will need his teeth done soon. The vet said this is probably why his eyes are sore and have discharge. He is eating fine though which is good. We will need to get him booked in for teeth work soon but it was so busy at the vets I will just ring them instead.

They also still need to lose more weight. Lillabelle has just a slight belly but Mr Chief is basically still fat so we need to cut their food down more. I am going to have a chat with another vet who can help with their diet as I need to check how much food to give each of them. Plus it means I will have help to get their weights down quickly especially as Mr Chief has teeth work and anaesthetic soon.

Thanks everybun for your kind and helpful comments and good vibes [emoji173]

Well done bunnies, glad they got on ok, Lillabelle sounds the perfect patient :D. Hopefully Mr Chief will get his dental done quickly and his eyes improve. Hope you are feeling better too xx

Well done bunnies, glad they got on ok, Lillabelle sounds the perfect patient :D. Hopefully Mr Chief will get his dental done quickly and his eyes improve. Hope you are feeling better too xx
Thank you so much. Yes they were both superstars! [emoji173] Yes we will get him sorted soon. But I am nervous about the anaesthetic. Especially as we did not get his weight down enough [emoji852] I just hope he gets on ok and we can get him healthier and then happier aswell in a short timescale.

Well I am except I knocked my toe nail off and also have a very bruised toe from a fall in the shower today! [emoji23]

But thank you nonetheless x

My OH picked up the Exocin eye drops today for Mr Chief. We have to apply them to each eye twice daily for 5 days. I presume the eyes won't get better until teeth are filed down though?

I am also now going to remove any herbs or green veg left after their feed times. I was thinking an hour later? Does this sound about right? Or maybe sooner? I would appreciate input on what happens with everybun as I am obviously still feeding them way too much [emoji852]

Mr Chief always lies right next to the feeds guarding it and feeds off it until it goes. That is probably why he is still so overweight. They do eat hay but they always go back to these feeds first.

We are also going to stop feeding them dandelion roots as the vet said this is still extra calories they do not need for now. Are dried flowers ok for them to eat though? Vet explained how even healthy foods can be given too much of as extra calories. That makes sense but when is too much?

I have read somewhere that rabbits can't lose weight too quickly due to their livers? Obviously they are losing weight way too slowly though.
Does anyone have diet amounts per weight I could stick to.

I presume as Mr Chief loses weight he will become more active? Lillabelle is still very active. Any advice would be welcome so they can become a healthy weight. Thank you everybun x

Quick update...Mr Chief's eyes look much better as in not so bloodshot but the discharge from his eye is still there. He had it as a baby so I think it is for life unfortunately. If the eyes start to worsen again I will ask the vet for regular eye drops.

They are both looking much better for the changes in their diet. They have both lost weight already and are constantly jumping on the bed or begging next to my bedside but I am not giving in this time. I am adamant. No treats! I have been loving them too much and giving in too easily!

I have dropped their 2 meals of fresh veggies by a third and the herb feed at night by at least a third. Does anybody know if flowers and dandelion root are high in calories? I have big bags of fresh herbs with flowers in plus a big bag of dandelion roots so I wondered if it would be too much to give them small amounts.

Mr Chief is doing half binkies again and chasing Lillabelle around the room 2-3 times when he was lucky to do half a room. I feel so guilty as I was obviously over feeding them [emoji17]

Glad they are both doing well, I wouldn't have thought the flowers or roots would be too calorific, more the nuggets. It sounds like whatever you are doing is working, so I would keep with it. Don't feel guilty, your bunnies are so lucky to have you caring for them so well. Well done bunnies :thumb:

Glad they are both doing well, I wouldn't have thought the flowers or roots would be too calorific, more the nuggets. It sounds like whatever you are doing is working, so I would keep with it. Don't feel guilty, your bunnies are so lucky to have you caring for them so well. Well done bunnies :thumb:
Oh thank you. That really helps. I do usually give them a half a fibrefirst or a loop (from same company) but I have stopped them for now. This means they can have a little dandelion root as a thank you treat when they behave well being brushed or getting nails clipped etc

They are our world tbh and they bring us a lot of love and laughter with their shenanigans [emoji23][emoji173]

Back