• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mishka has been in a fight, lost part of her eyelid

Just phoned to see how she was doing (was told to phone at 1pm) and she hasn't even gone in yet.. I've never been so on edge. I had confidence in my previous surgery (one vet was bad but I think I'd even trust him more at the moment) and I have none at all here. She's using outdated methods and send too stubborn to change. Goodness I don't know what to do :(

Just phoned to see how she was doing (was told to phone at 1pm) and she hasn't even gone in yet.. I've never been so on edge. I had confidence in my previous surgery (one vet was bad but I think I'd even trust him more at the moment) and I have none at all here. She's using outdated methods and send too stubborn to change. Goodness I don't know what to do :(

This is a horrible situation to be in :(

Maybe I'm missing something here.. I know you've just moved, but could you find another vet? I know its not good.. But if you're generally unhappy about how this is being done.. I'd pick her up and find someone else, there must be other vets around? Could you get an emergency appointment?

Obviously I don't know how bad it is, but given correct pain relief.. Maybe it could still be done today or tomorrow? I know they may not be rabbit savvy, but they may be better than the vet you clearly don't agree with :( sorry if this isn't helpful, sending you both loads of vibes and hugs xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

I wish I had done.. there are only three vets in the area but if I'd known I'd have taken her to one of the others. When I phoned she was just going in/had just gone in so I think it's too late now but I wish I'd had the courage to speak up and say no, I'm taking her somewhere else earlier. I honestly wasn't expecting it. I thought companion care see a lot of rabbits as p@h sell them so they must know what they're doing. Plus my last cc was fantastic. The mistake I've made is assuming that all companion care surgeries must have the same practices; clearly that isn't the case.
I just want Mishka home :( I won't be going back there again.

You have to hope that everything will be ok and Mishka will recover quickly. I have been in similar situations and know how you are feeling, it's an awful place to be. Hoping you get some good news soon xx

I wish I had done.. there are only three vets in the area but if I'd known I'd have taken her to one of the others. When I phoned she was just going in/had just gone in so I think it's too late now but I wish I'd had the courage to speak up and say no, I'm taking her somewhere else earlier. I honestly wasn't expecting it. I thought companion care see a lot of rabbits as p@h sell them so they must know what they're doing. Plus my last cc was fantastic. The mistake I've made is assuming that all companion care surgeries must have the same practices; clearly that isn't the case.
I just want Mishka home :( I won't be going back there again.

Yea I think they vary massively my local one isn't the best imo but I've heard others are great.

Hopefully everything will be fine and even though you weren't happy, it'll get you out of the current situation. Sending lots of hugs and vibes again, it's not your fault and hopefully this will be resolved. It's so tough knowing what to do for the best sometimes I know exactly how you feel there xxx

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Thank you so much all XX just called them and apparently she's okay, got to pick her up at 6 pm so I'll know more then. Main thing is she seems to be okay

I'm really worried I've done there won't thing.. they're not using gas! I only found out at the last minute. My last companion care used isoflurane, I assumed this one would do the same. She said she's using a combination of three anesthetics, the only name I recognized was ketamine, and that "a lot of vets mask then down which is the wrong thing to do as it stresses then" - she also scruffed her again!

Glad she’s doing well! Just to put your mind at rest the ketamine will be the anaesthetic induction agent and if the stitch up is short she shouldn’t require any other anaesthetic gases. I know I didn’t need anything for my bunny except oxygen for her dental/scan/X-rays. I imagine the other two drugs would be a pain relief and a sedative. Even if she doesn’t need the isoflurane, I’m sure they will have supplied 100% oxygen!

Glad she’s doing well! Just to put your mind at rest the ketamine will be the anaesthetic induction agent and if the stitch up is short she shouldn’t require any other anaesthetic gases. I know I didn’t need anything for my bunny except oxygen for her dental/scan/X-rays. I imagine the other two drugs would be a pain relief and a sedative. Even if she doesn’t need the isoflurane, I’m sure they will have supplied 100% oxygen!

i agree with this. What the vet described of her protocol is sound especially that she says masking them down is wrong - I'd be happy with her competence ... apart from the scruffing ... I'd want to get the hell out for that reason alone!

I don't know.. Like I say the scruffing was the first bad sign for me. I don't like seeing my rabbits treated roughly and especially by a vet who should know better. Poor Mishka came out yesterday looking like she was in a state of shock. I didn't need to say anything, my Mum immediately asked what on earth happened, she looks terrified. She picked up on how terrible she looked before I said a word. That's why she wouldn't eat yesterday, this vet scared her. She was playing and eating prior to that.

As for her competence... I got halfway home with Mishka today and looked inside the carrier to see the cannula still in her ear! We had to go all the way back in heavy traffic (when poor Mishka just wants to be home) to ask them to remove it. "Oh the vet should definitely have noticed that" the receptionist said.
You think?:censored:

Ugh.. good news is she has been eating a little since she's been home. I bought her some dried petals which she has and she's also had some protexin pro fibre

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot, I also asked the nurse if she'd been eating; he didn't know
I then asked him if I should continue the eye drops; he didn't know. He looked up the notes and thought about it for a bit and said they probably wouldn't do any harm. Very helpful.

Oh, I forgot, I also asked the nurse if she'd been eating; he didn't know
I then asked him if I should continue the eye drops; he didn't know. He looked up the notes and thought about it for a bit and said they probably wouldn't do any harm. Very helpful.

Definitely a change of vet practice needed - how awful for you all :(

Many years ago a vet began to scruff my rabbit out of his carrier.

I said in my stern voice "No-one scruffs my rabbit" and he put him down immediately and backed off.
(Literally - I can be scary :lol:)

It's your call, you are paying him and he ought to treat your rabbits with respect.

Can't believe the cannula was left in either :roll:

Back