• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mini Lop jumped from about 1.5m and now I'm worried

dwitkos

New Kit
Hi, I have a 14 week old mini lop called Doughnut. Today he suddenly jumped from my arms when I was trying to put him back in his play pen, which was about 1.5 metres. He never jumped from such a height before. On the way down, I think he might have hit his water bowl with his front left paw after which he started putting the paw up, and slightly limping. After about 20 seconds he was walking normally again, even jumped up on his heidi house and then jumped back down without any issue (it's about 45cm tall and it's made out of a table so he likes to jump on top of it all the time). After a while, he started to put his paw up again, so I got worried and called the vet. I explained everything and they said that he's fine and just needs to rest for a day or two. He seems to be walking around and doing everything without any issue, eating normally, drinking etc. but he's just putting his paw up in the air from time to time and when he was eating hay in his litter box he was laying down on his stomach for a few minutes which I've never seen him do before as he is always standing up when eating. I very gently had a feel of his whole front left leg and it seemed fine, I didn't feel any broken bones or anything like that. Should I be worried or will he be fine? Nothing's like this ever happened to him and he is my first bunny so I still have a lot to learn and I really hope he's going to be okay..

Thank you in advance:)

Hi, I have a 14 week old mini lop called Doughnut. Today he suddenly jumped from my arms when I was trying to put him back in his play pen, which was about 1.5 metres. He never jumped from such a height before. On the way down, I think he might have hit his water bowl with his front left paw after which he started putting the paw up, and slightly limping. After about 20 seconds he was walking normally again, even jumped up on his heidi house and then jumped back down without any issue (it's about 45cm tall and it's made out of a table so he likes to jump on top of it all the time). After a while, he started to put his paw up again, so I got worried and called the vet. I explained everything and they said that he's fine and just needs to rest for a day or two. He seems to be walking around and doing everything without any issue, eating normally, drinking etc. but he's just putting his paw up in the air from time to time and when he was eating hay in his litter box he was laying down on his stomach for a few minutes which I've never seen him do before as he is always standing up when eating. I very gently had a feel of his whole front left leg and it seemed fine, I didn't feel any broken bones or anything like that. Should I be worried or will he be fine? Nothing's like this ever happened to him and he is my first bunny so I still have a lot to learn and I really hope he's going to be okay..

Thank you in advance:)

Without examining him it’s impossible for any Vet to know if he has sustained anything more than a slight sprain. If he is still holding his paw up I’d call the Vet back and insist that your Rabbit is examined. At the Very least he could probably do with some anti-inflammatory analgesia. If his discomfort were to continue or get worse he may stop eating and this can lead to gut stasis.

Jane is right, he may benefit from some anti-inflammatory, pain relief meds for a few days.
At least you have a good idea what body part took the brunt of the fall.
Sending vibes Doughnut will heal quickly.

I think he's okay. Honestly I called the vet and then wrote this post within 30 minutes of the accident, and ever since I wrote the post he hasn't been limping or putting his paw up anymore and acting normally like he does all the time. He definitely does not look to be in pain, far from that, so I think he's going to be fine :). Thanks for the advice though, if anything like this ever happens again I'll know what to do.

Back