• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making a wee hide box U/D All done!

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I got sent an email from my mum yesterday and it had this in it...

Can you find out if it is OK to use plywood to make a wee sleeping box for the rabbits? I was going to make a mini hutch for them so they can lie on wood rather than the lino if it is cold in the hut.

The do have the carry basket but it is probably cold too.

I was going to make a wooden frame and use plywood for the sides, top and bottom. Also put wee feet on it like the outside hutch. I was thinking 3ft x 2ft x 2ft with a lid on a hinge. They can have hay in it to keep warm. What do you think?

We haven't managed to find anyone strong enough to lift the hutch into the shed yet so we'd like to make them something that's off the floor of the shed. Is it OK to use plywood for this?

Last edited:
Many commercial hutches/boxes use plywood so I don't see why not :)

Thanks Tasmin, we weren't sure if it was OK to use it. Mum is pretty handy so she'll probably do it at the weekend at some point though I'll go through on Saturday to lend a hand. It'll be better for them than lying on the lino and they seem to like sitting in the big hutch that's in the run during the day. I guess we can always swop them around later.

Here it is all finished, I reckon it looks no bad! The buns have room to stand up inside it and the lid is on hinges so it's easy to clean out. We're going to add a wee tunnel to the front so they can use it to jump onto the top of it.

Image0252.jpg

Image0251.jpg

That looks great!!! Well done mum!!

However...I wouldn't call it a "wee" anything.....the buns might take you up on that!!! :lol::lol::lol:

They'll definitely be snuggle buns this winter!

Aye it turn turn out to be a bit bigger than we thought it would, hopefully they don't use it as a bog. :lol: It's not clear from the pic but it is actually raised off the ground by an inch and a half or so. We figured they'd just chew legs if we put them on (they chew our legs anyway).

Mum started it last night and it got finished today so both of the buns have had a shot in it so far. We've stuffed it with hay so they're nice and cozy in it. looks like it came in the nick of time too as Honey had a bit of stasis again today, thankfully we caught it in time with fibreplex and metacam and she was back to normal within the hour more or less.

That looks great!!! Well done mum!!

However...I wouldn't call it a "wee" anything.....the buns might take you up on that!!! :lol::lol::lol:

They'll definitely be snuggle buns this winter!

Wow! That's awesome! I'm impressed. :)

What a talented and lovely mum you have to make that for your buns!

That's fantastic. It's both wonderfully warm AND gives so many buns a sense of security if there are ant predators outside.
Well done you & your Mum. :thumb: :D:D:D:D

Back