• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training & bonding

poppymoon

Wise Old Thumper
any tips or links please on how to assist a new bun with litter training during the bonding process? she is about 2 yrs old, has been spayed 3 weeks and is constantly peeing everywhere. eric is litter trained (although he does seem to be copying the scattering poop behaviour atm) but i'd like to try to at least start her on the litter training routine as a house bun (washer on the blink from loads of towels:roll:)

I was just going to ask a similar question. Im in the process of trying to find the right girlfriend for Dylan who is fully toilet trained but my OH is really worried about the new arrivals toilet habits. Is it hard to litter train a bunny who has previously lived outdoors? Is this why you are struggling? :wave:

its a quandry:?
eric is fully litter trained but his new friend esme is 2 yrs old and a rescue bun. i don't know much about her history but she wasn't a house rabbit.
i know that to litter train from scratch involves restricting space etc but as eric is free range (not as much as usual due to his new friendship), i don't want to jeopardise the bonding by restricting esme's space.

my OH is pretty understanding about my thoughts that eric should have a friend, even tho he was perfectly happy on his own - sadly, happier than he seems at present - but he said this morning that if i can't solve it and the house stinks, she'll have to go:shock: (i have purchased many carpet cleaning products today:oops: but esme's a bit of a digger too so i have to be on my guard - very fussy landlord:().

How long have you had them together?
I just got my two on saturday, and they peed and pood (very smelly) all over the room. It was rank, and i was thinking id have to put them outside!
Anyways less than a week on and they are both using the litter tray for pee and using it for poo more and more.
I was going to restrict the space to get them to use the trays, but they just started using them, so i was glad.
I just picked up all the poo and put it in the trays, i also wiped the pee up with kitchen roll and put that at the bottom of the litter trays. I also moved the litter tray to a place that they seemed to be going alot.
Good luck! x

This is my worry exactly. My OH will be very upset if we have this prob, we have recently moved into a brand new house and understandably he is worried about our new carpets etc. Dylan is fully free range to, i was planning to restrict space to an area where accidents can be cleaned up easily. I am also worried about Dylan copying this behavior if we have the same prob.
PS, i better not let me OH see this, hehe.

How long have you had them together?
I just got my two on saturday, and they peed and pood (very smelly) all over the room. It was rank, and i was thinking id have to put them outside!
Anyways less than a week on and they are both using the litter tray for pee and using it for poo more and more.
I was going to restrict the space to get them to use the trays, but they just started using them, so i was glad.
I just picked up all the poo and put it in the trays, i also wiped the pee up with kitchen roll and put that at the bottom of the litter trays. I also moved the litter tray to a place that they seemed to be going alot.
Good luck! x

they met on saturday too. i'm trying the same as you - put poops in the tray and soak up pee with kitchen roll and add that to the tray. no success yet:roll: i've even put her own tray in case she doesn't want to share. she doesn't seem to have a preference of where to pee yet - wherever she is at the time (playing in a tunnel, eating - pee'd in the food dish - or on my feet). i don't mind the poop scattering (eric has started to copy this a bit tho) but trying to keep the house calm is wearing me down somewhat - thought i was doing right by eric from what i've read on forums about buns needing company but he's having a strop and now OH is too:roll:

Aww, im sure they will start getting on and behaving soon!
Im just glad that i got lino in the bunny room, cos i had to wipe pee up loads since they came!
Ive also had to wash loads of towels, cushions, and basically anything soft....they were peeing everywhere.
I know its a pain but persevere cos hopefully in a few days youll be with two litter trained happy buns x

Aww, im sure they will start getting on and behaving soon!
Im just glad that i got lino in the bunny room, cos i had to wipe pee up loads since they came!
Ive also had to wash loads of towels, cushions, and basically anything soft....they were peeing everywhere.
I know its a pain but persevere cos hopefully in a few days youll be with two litter trained happy buns x

thanks. i hope so. x
(ps loved your new pics:D)

Back