• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lion Head Rabbit Descussion

The majority of lionheads that you see are not actually pure bred lionheads, but a combination of breeds. Lionheads for breed standard have rounded faces, short ears (similar to the length of nethies) and are small in comparison to a standard bred rabbit. They are 'cobby' in appearance and you can definitely tell the difference between a pure lionhead and a mix. I have four rabbits with lionhead in them. Milly is a lionhead x with a cashmere, She looked like a generic lionhead until she got older and her coat continued to grow and fill out. Phoebe is a 'true' lionhead and Teddy is a show standard lionhead. He moves completely differently to any of my other rabbits because of how cobby he is. Maisy is a mix breed rabbit that has lionhead in her somewhere along the line. If a rabbit has a mane, but also has an elongated face similar to most other breeds then it is a mix. Personally I think they are the best ones to go for, because pure bred lions are prone to dental problems because of the shape of their faces.

Mine def sounds like your description of a true lionhead, infact spot on! I worry about his teeth, he had an eye infection last week and teeth were checked and are fine thankfully, but it was my first thought!

I have a cross lionhead too who is just gorgeous :love:

I have a lionhead who i've had 8 weeks he is only just coming out of himself now and comes running up to us :love: i'm getting him a friend after christmas from a rescue ;)

Looking at your pictures of teddy, i think giz is shaped a bit like him.
this is him when he was a baby after a very extreme haircut from his first visit to the vets!
100_1923.jpg

He has quite a round bum bless him. he always looks so much fatter than he is because he's so fluffy! I can close my hands around him he's that teeny tiny!

and this is him now :love:

DSCF2797.jpg

Just because someone (breeder or otherwise) says that a rabbit is something, such as a lion lop, unless lines go back for generations, you are never certain what the babies are going to be or look like.

I saw Sophie's Parents, (she is the result of an accidental mating) and her mam was a lop and her dad was a lionhead, but... She is beautiful anyway

At least with a rescue you can go in and choose which one/two/three. and depending on a home check then you could have a bunny/bunnies in two weeks.

You are right.... most people who advertise their rabbits as lionheads are just selling bunnies that have a mane or slightly fluffy tufts. They will have lionhead in there somewhere, but they wouldn't meet breed standards. Also, lionheads are a relatively new breed so there are lots of different types of rabbits out there that are sold as 'lionheads'.

Mine def sounds like your description of a true lionhead, infact spot on! I worry about his teeth, he had an eye infection last week and teeth were checked and are fine thankfully, but it was my first thought!

I have a cross lionhead too who is just gorgeous :love:

Yep they are prone to tear duct problems and teeth especially!! Teddy is a dental bun as it milly... I'm just waiting for Phoebe to have problems :roll:
It always puts me off lionheads, my vet friend always tells me to stay away from them but I just think they are beautiful. :love:

Looking at your pictures of teddy, i think giz is shaped a bit like him.
this is him when he was a baby after a very extreme haircut from his first visit to the vets!
100_1923.jpg

He has quite a round bum bless him. he always looks so much fatter than he is because he's so fluffy! I can close my hands around him he's that teeny tiny!

and this is him now :love:

DSCF2797.jpg

Oh he is just so cute!!!!! lovely markings. yes he is a typical lionhead with taht rounded bum! ha, He has shorter hind limbs too. He's beautiful :love:

Back