• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lion Head Rabbit Descussion

Sorry, but i do not get what shazzabell4535 is saying when this breeder has bred these babies for her, and she's going to watch them grow up? :?

I think she means she's put her name down with the breeder as specifically wanting lionhead babies and that she can have them from little rather than an older bun?!

I had a fixed idea that I wanted a pair of pure breed mini lops and also a set colour! I looked at a few rescue sites half heartedly but spotted my ideal pair on a breeders site and went and got them. I was fairly new to this site at the time a bit like you I found out costs and care info first! I have a boy and a girl and they are indoors. Litter training is a nightmare when they are little they are quite messy they wee and poo everywhere it takes a lot of patience but Ive got them to wee in 2 places now but the carpet I had in the bottom of the cage will have to be replaced! At 12weeks they started getting amorous so had to be separated! My little boy started spraying everywhere sofa walls radiator etc so my lounge is rather smelly at the mo! I had him neutered at 16weeks I stayed up with him through the night tempting him to eat and drink as it is life threatening if they don't eat regularly! He still can't go back with Daisy for another 6weeks as he will still be fertile! Daisy will be spayed at 6months a much bigger op and you will need to syringe painkillers afterwards and separate them for a few days again!

I love them to pieces but I wish Id spent longer on this site first there are some truely gorgeous little bunnies that turn up at rescues even young ones. I thought I disliked red eyed White rabbits but have even fallen for a few of them as well! If Id have waited a little lobger Id have probably ended up with 1 completely different breeds! Also if you fall in love with 2 a long way from you bun runs can be organized to get them to you!! Just because you have them from little doesn't mean they'll like to be picked up mine don't!! With rescue buns they can work out their personalities and tell you!

These bunnies could be with you for 10years and will be a big part of your life so don't feel obliged to have to buy from the breeder unless you really are sure that's what you want to do!

Please post piccies of your new family members when you get them we love piccies t

Last edited:
If you get two girls don't wait until they start fighting to get them neutered. Ask your vet about it when they go in for their first jabs. Between 6 months and 12 months would be the best time for them to be neutered together. Try and find a good rabbit vet as it is a serious operation.

Can I just say that when I was looking for rabbits, I wanted lionheads. I looked around a couple of rescues, and found some mini rex babies. :lol: Also, I think I spent about 2-3 months just researching and asking a ton of questions on here, before even looking for any rabbits. I'd also say, don't feel you have to have the rabbits from the breeder. I always knew I'd get rabbits from a rescue, it makes you feel like you have done some good.

I think you also need to aware of the possible on going costs that problem teeth bring.

I've owned 2 lion heads, who weren't related, & both have had problems with their teeth, not caused by bad diet but bad breeding.

My current lion head bun has dentals with the vet every 6 weeks which cost £50 -£60 a time, which aren't covered by any pet insurance.

I must say that teeth problems aren't restricted to lion heads but any breed can suffer tooth problems but like with pedigree dogs, the more an animal is bred to for its looks, the more health problems it seems to have.

We have two loinheads one female and other is a boy. Got them from two different rescues centres, I will always get my rabbits from rescues they do so much hard work and really care for the rabbits they look after, It took nearly 8 weeksto find a wife which was going to be good with Womble as he is very timed.

We have had pick them up last night from a week of bonding( which most centres do) and they are grooming each other i am so glad I had this forum, as we had rabbits before but I know sooo much more. We have a big wendy house and a run .bigger the better , and dont forget to put money in a saving account for the vets bills . (other rabbit we had teeth grining down operation £150 ) and a couple of weeks later he died ) :(

So not cheap but love them dearly.

Can I ask does anyone have a double mained Lionhead? or really fluffy ones? I have 3 that are like pmo poms and they have to be clippered in summer just so I can see their eyes lol

Looking at those recent Lionhead pics, I can tell the difference with mine. My eldest male actually looks like a lion, oh I wish I knew how to post pics :(

Bunny friend is your Lionhead a crossbreed? she is exactly like my Stuie, never seen a female that colour before :love:

Can I ask does anyone have a double mained Lionhead? or really fluffy ones? I have 3 that are like pmo poms and they have to be clippered in summer just so I can see their eyes lol

Looking at those recent Lionhead pics, I can tell the difference with mine. My eldest male actually looks like a lion, oh I wish I knew how to post pics :(

Bunny friend is your Lionhead a crossbreed? she is exactly like my Stuie, never seen a female that colour before :love:

Yes I have a Lionhead who has a full mane and have to keep him trimmed! :wave:

All of mine have full manes but there are some with well they are really thick furred, all over their bodys. Sometimes hard to keep up with. :roll:

All of mine have full manes but there are some with well they are really thick furred, all over their bodys. Sometimes hard to keep up with. :roll:

Yeah Phelix's fur is quite thick but I wouldn't say fluffy, but his mane is amazing! Can't see his face most of the time if I don't trim it!

My 3 lionheads are fab. They're all so different as they're crosses, so personality can depend on the breeding. I have a nethie x lionhead and she's very fiesty and determined, but she's paired with a french lop x lionhead and he's dippy as anything, but needs grooming more than the others as his fur is longer because he's a lot bigger. He's like a hopping brush! :lol: And then there's Mr grumpy drawers AKA Wuzzle :lol:

Last edited:
The majority of lionheads that you see are not actually pure bred lionheads, but a combination of breeds. Lionheads for breed standard have rounded faces, short ears (similar to the length of nethies) and are small in comparison to a standard bred rabbit. They are 'cobby' in appearance and you can definitely tell the difference between a pure lionhead and a mix. I have four rabbits with lionhead in them. Milly is a lionhead x with a cashmere, She looked like a generic lionhead until she got older and her coat continued to grow and fill out. Phoebe is a 'true' lionhead and Teddy is a show standard lionhead. He moves completely differently to any of my other rabbits because of how cobby he is. Maisy is a mix breed rabbit that has lionhead in her somewhere along the line. If a rabbit has a mane, but also has an elongated face similar to most other breeds then it is a mix. Personally I think they are the best ones to go for, because pure bred lions are prone to dental problems because of the shape of their faces.

I have two lion lop crosses. Charlie

IMG_6662.jpg

And Sophie.

IMG_6507.jpg

Just because someone (breeder or otherwise) says that a rabbit is something, such as a lion lop, unless lines go back for generations, you are never certain what the babies are going to be or look like.

I saw Sophie's Parents, (she is the result of an accidental mating) and her mam was a lop and her dad was a lionhead, but... She is beautiful anyway

At least with a rescue you can go in and choose which one/two/three. and depending on a home check then you could have a bunny/bunnies in two weeks.

Last edited:
The majority of lionheads that you see are not actually pure bred lionheads, but a combination of breeds. Lionheads for breed standard have rounded faces, short ears (similar to the length of nethies) and are small in comparison to a standard bred rabbit. They are 'cobby' in appearance and you can definitely tell the difference between a pure lionhead and a mix. I have four rabbits with lionhead in them. Milly is a lionhead x with a cashmere, She looked like a generic lionhead until she got older and her coat continued to grow and fill out. Phoebe is a 'true' lionhead and Teddy is a show standard lionhead. He moves completely differently to any of my other rabbits because of how cobby he is. Maisy is a mix breed rabbit that has lionhead in her somewhere along the line. If a rabbit has a mane, but also has an elongated face similar to most other breeds then it is a mix. Personally I think they are the best ones to go for, because pure bred lions are prone to dental problems because of the shape of their faces.
This sounds exactly like my Toffee, i can send you some pictures if you want.
His ears are tiny, he is proper fluffy, little round head and cobby. And alot smaller than Gho. He also had a very broad nose :love:

what do you mean by cobby? I have an incredibly fluffy lionhead, who needs his mane trimming regularly so he can see! when his fur is long his face looks quite flat, almost like a pug or a shitzu, but when its been trimmed it looks a lot more pointy.

This sounds exactly like my Toffee, i can send you some pictures if you want.
His ears are tiny, he is proper fluffy, little round head and cobby. And alot smaller than Gho. He also had a very broad nose :love:

I Love Toffee :love: He reminds me so much of my teddy but different colouring.. yeah send me some pics!

what do you mean by cobby? I have an incredibly fluffy lionhead, who needs his mane trimming regularly so he can see! when his fur is long his face looks quite flat, almost like a pug or a shitzu, but when its been trimmed it looks a lot more pointy.

It's difficult to explain... if you think about it in horse terms, a cob horse is well built and stocky. A lionhead is small, but is quite stocky in terms of build. the way their body is shaped is different to other rabbits, and they are more rounded around their bum and tail. Their hind legs are not as lean and long as other bunnies, and that makes them move differently.

Back