• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lion Head Rabbit Descussion

Hi,
]
I pay £74 for a spay including meds and check up.
£15 for myxi (twice yearly)
£12 for VHD

These are standard as i now get a discount due to 6 bunnies!!

mine are coming from a breeder that loves her rabbits like mad
they arnt born yet birth date 29th dec hopefully
does anybody know is it easy to litter train them

That's my mum's birthday!!!

I have a lionhead (got him from a pet shop yonks ago) - (will never get one from a petshop again - rescue all the way)
He is a very timid little boy, but has really come out his shell since we got Gho, and like Sarah said he's really tidy (unlike Ghostie!).
Vets think he's a cross breed of an angora though as he's soooo incredibly fluffy, i trim him myself now but when i didn't you couldn't tell one end from the other!
Spaying is a must m'dear, female rabbits are bursting to the seams with hormones and can be quite aggressive. It will also mean they will be more happy knowing they don't need to make babies and won't have uterine cancer :lol:

My lionhead has been hard work from day one even though she has been well handled and have spend a lot of time with her.

she is a lot better since getting her spayed as she used to grunt like mad before and this has now stopped though you still cant get near her to stroke her.

She loves the company of other rabbits.

I think it is something lions do, Bailey does grunt at me. they do seem to show territorial behaviour, but with trust they would never bite you.

Bailey came from Sues Rescue in Dewsbury and Alyssa came from the pah charity. x

how much is it going to cost to get a female rabbit spayed and they will need a booster every year has anyone any idea about prices
thanks sharon

hello im surprised the breeder hasnt informed you off the upkeep costs of rabbits. but here goes hope this helps. speying is essential with 2 females and please be aware you should be able to trace the genetics about 4 generations back to look out for any congenital problems they may have. they must not leave mum until 8 weeks and babies are more suseptible to gut problems so any slight off the food must be treated as serious immediatly and get to a rabbit savvy vetbe aware rabbits are exotics)
each rabbit will need pannacuring 4 times a year to prevent ec(around /£5 per bun), they will need myxi injections every 6 months(£!5) and vhd every year(around £15-20) they will each need to have a spey which they should go in together for and not be seperated else you will have to rebond..... this is around £65-120) this depends on vets... it takes up to 10days ish for them to heal after spey and they will need to be kept indoors during recovery, they will both need to eat right up to the operation do not starve like a cat or dog as this can be fatal. also ensure they are kept warm as temperature can drop post spey.

i also would recommend you looking into how many bunnys are in rescues(thousands) and possibly considering adopting an already bonded pair? it wil be cheaper as tehy are neutered already and wwill have the first vaccs adn pannacur already done. remember whatever accomodation i think you said they would have free run of a shed should have a run attatched to give theem a minimum of 4 hours run time a day. remember a pellet food is ideal but should be over 16% in fibre and 85% of diet should be hay :) other than that good luck with new arrivals and be prepared for them not enjoying being pickke ducp and only likeing to be stroked as rabits are prey animals x

It cost around £65 for Gho's spay including after care.
Myxi jabs are £20 (twice a year) and VHD which is yearly (also £20) so on each bun i spend £60 on vaccs alone (i have 2)
Worth it though, i get hay and pellets really cheap so that helps, a 10kg bag of pellets only costs me £12 and a bale of hay only £2. You need to shop around to get the best deals :)
Rabbit keeping isn't all easy, people believe they can be shoved in tiny hutches with a few pellets chucked everyday but rabbits are much more complex creatures :) They're so amazing :love:
There's nothing better watching your bun do a crazy binky!
Don't get me wrong, you're housing sounds lovely :)
Will they get a run?

i have a plastic moulded cage from snuggs , also they will be in shed and i have a enclose back gardern which is graveled and slabs which they will get time out every day.
i think it is expensive 4 the injection i might consider getting one boy that what i wanted in the first place . but i feel sorry 4 him living on his own . do they live quite happy on the own or is it cruel to expect this .. i think it would be a very lonely life.

sharon

i have a plastic moulded cage from snuggs , also they will be in shed and i have a enclose back gardern which is graveled and slabs which they will get time out every day.
i think it is expensive 4 the injection i might consider getting one boy that what i wanted in the first place . but i feel sorry 4 him living on his own . do they live quite happy on the own or is it cruel to expect this .. i think it would be a very lonely life.

sharon

My boy currently lives alone but he is indoors and with me for pretty much the entire day. I'm also going to hopefully get a rescue female.
Why not rescue a bonded pair? It'd help the rescues out, give some lovely buns a second chance and theyre already neutered :) That way you could get a male-female pair without the stress of spliting them and rebonding them after neuters :)

sharon

No, Rabbits need company of their own kind.

Why not get a pair from a rescue? You could then get a girl and a boy (both neutered and speyed) There are so many bunnies looking for homes and rescues normally spay and neuter them and get their injections done before they are rehomed.

Hi,
I have two lionheads (brother & sister) who are generally both lovely (and have just had 3 babies). It is very hard work to keep the fur okay and free from matts.

I have to say that I kept rabbits for years when I lived at home (years ago now) and thought it was a fab idea to get some for my son now *however* I had no idea it would cost so much!

The two rabbits cost me £15 (fair enough), the hutch was free (thanks to freecycle) but it cost me £40 for a run (which they dont use now as they have the run of the garden). The first jabs cost me £50 each rabbit and I have just had Bugs (boy) spreyed, another £50 .... so whats that so far about £200. That is without food, hay, bedding etc and of course some toys. Also planning to get Star (girl) spreyed in the new year (so another £50 or more) and they will be due for their booster jabs soon as well ..... neverending! Also they have both taken to digging to get to next doors garden so I am going to buy some wire and dig that under the fence to stop them ..... and they have eaten all my herbs, plants and strawberries!!

Having said all of that, they are both fab (well all 5 of them!), well loved, well cared for and seem like part of the family now *but* had I known then what I know now then I would have thought twice about it (being honest here).

What I am trying to say to to think very carefully about what you are getting yourself into .....

i could get resecue bunnies , but i will have to still get them of breeder if the doe gives birth . but if she doesn t take then i might see about rehoming 2

Where abouts are you from??

How come you 'have to' have the bunnies from the breeder? Have you already paid? :? Im sure she'd sell them to someone else :)

You'd be much better off going to a rescue, the bunnies are generally already neutered and vaccinated, and you'll only have to pay a one off fee of about £40, so you'd be saving yourself alot of money. My female bunny has just been into be speyed and it costs £70 :shock: Then vaccs are £20 each :roll: Panacur is £5. It all adds up :lol: xXx

the doe has been bred for me . i will enjoy watching them growing up. its only money after all. life about enjoying yourself i dont spend much else

The breeder bunnies will get homes where as there are so many bunnies in rescues across the land that may spend the rest of their lives in the rescue.
I think the rescue option would be best and cheaper too.

if it is a "decent" breeder they will not have bred their rabbit just for you as the doe is unlikely to just have 2 female babies.:roll::roll:...you have no obligation to buy from that breeder

and we have two lionheads coming in on Monday:D

if it is a "decent" breeder they will not have bred their rabbit just for you as the doe is unlikely to just have 2 female babies.:roll::roll:...you have no obligation to buy from that breeder

and we have two lionheads coming in on Monday:D

ooooh really....ages??

tells self must not have 8... :?:lol:

the doe has been bred for me . i will enjoy watching them growing up. its only money after all. life about enjoying yourself i dont spend much else
:wave: Hi Sharon, as someone has already pointed out, the buns must stay with Mum until they are 8 weeks old. If the breeder is a reputable one, she wouldn't dream of letting them go before this anyway.

Back