• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lilac weepy eye

Orenoko

Mama Doe
Lilac developed a weepy eye yesterday, I couldn't get her to the vet today because of work, but she's all booked in tomorrow morning.

She's had a blocked tear duct before, although I can't remember if it was in the same eye or not. It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, she's not rubbing at it or anything so that's positive. She doesn't let me near her to check it out to see if there's anything in it so I will have to leave that task for the vet! Hopefully nothing major.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thank you! She hates being handled so it will be traumatic and she won't be happy with me but needs must!

A weepy eye can be caused by tooth roots and may have to be "managed" as there is no cure. But best wait to see what the Vet says.

A weepy eye can be caused by tooth roots and may have to be "managed" as there is no cure. But best wait to see what the Vet says.

Yeah she does have a very smooshy face so I do always fear the worst but we'll see what the vet says. She's 6 or 7, has had one dental to my knowledge about 3 years ago so I'm hoping it's not serious but will wait for the expert opinion.

Sending loads of vibes for Lilac and I hope the vet can make her eye feel better.

We're just back from the vets, they think she has conjunctivitis, they couldn't find any teeth issues so she has drops and we'll see how she goes. Naturally she is very unimpressed and has flicked her feet at me as she went to hide behind the sofa lol

Hope the treatment helps. If it doesnt then skull radiographs may be a good idea as tooth root problems cannot be ruled out without radiographs.

Hope the treatment helps. If it doesnt then skull radiographs may be a good idea as tooth root problems cannot be ruled out without radiographs.
Thanks I will see how she gets on and speak to the vet if there's no improvement. Now we have the inevitable chase around the house twice daily just to put an eye drop in, it's times like this I wish she was just a bit friendlier!

Also just to add I hope this is all it is and not a symptom of something else, it's hard when you can't be in the consultation with them at the moment.

I hope eye drops solve her issue. Bunnies are so good at making evasive moves and hiding under and behind things. Don't forget to stretch before your furry personal trainer puts you through the obstacle course.:D

Haha she actually let me put the drops in straight away last night, this morning however is another matter! We've had two unsuccessful attempts so far...

Haha she actually let me put the drops in straight away last night, this morning however is another matter! We've had two unsuccessful attempts so far...

They learn quickly., so even tempting with food works only so long. Mine dislike being picked up more than the medicine once on my lap.

They learn quickly., so even tempting with food works only so long. Mine dislike being picked up more than the medicine once on my lap.
Indeed. With eye drops, I bribed Lopsy into a certain position with food and then got the drops in. He's really easy to manipulate as long as his face is in food though, so I'm pretty lucky! He didn't care about the eye drops either, he was much less keen on ear drops XD

Back