• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lay down

mrsboyle

New Kit
We have started to bring daisy in for an hour at night when the kids go bed, and tonight was the 3rd night and he was hoppng about then he sat next to me so i was stroking him and he just lay there really still breathing really fast.

Is this a good sign or bad :roll:

Last edited:
Laying down is normally a good thing if the rabbit has it's legs out. If a rabbits sits hunched it is not a good thing.

Please be careful if bringing outside bunnies indoors this time of year. Rabbits can not regulate their body temperatures very well and should not be subjected to extremes of temperature like low cold to homes with good central heating. It can cause many issues.

Rabbits grow thicker coats to deal with winter temperature so if you subject them to a heated room (especially in modern homes with UPVC windows where there is good insulation) they can overheat. A rabbit who is too warm may lay down and pant to try and cool down. Bunnies can deal better with being colder than hotter.

It then follows that if they are warm/hot and you put them back outside in the cold they can suffer too.

It can cause problems with their respiration.

During the day time it may not be quite so bad, but evenings - I'd not do it personally.

If you are going to bring a bunny in, please turn your heating off or right down ahead of his visit.

Helen

We have only brought him in becuase our vet told us to for his eye drops.
didnt think it would do much harm letting him play for extra 15 mins

We have only brought him in becuase our vet told us to for his eye drops.
didnt think it would do much harm letting him play for extra 15 mins

No it may be alright however, the comments above for you are good advice and just something to consider, maybe open a window and just cool it down slightly ? I think it may be happening as he is not totally used to it and possibly a little stressed after the eye drops aswell. In time I am sure he would get used to it and not feel nervous, as it is he may be thinking ' well what happens now then, what do I do'? I think if it were me I would maybe just keep him to one room for a while and build up from there to make him feel more confident. :D

Back