• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Large lump on face

My Heidi loves willow balls and chews them into pieces. Sometimes she picks it up and places it in her litterbox,yet does not use it as a ball. She gets fibafirst and will come for a piece along with hand fed pellets.
My Raven loves his science select garden sticks. I break the stick in pieces to limit his consumption since they are treats.and He comes begging for them .. I use them to monitor his health, and to buy his affection.
My Amber and Zorro get pellets as treats.
Some bunnies will play with empty cereal boxes. Even empty cardboard tubes from kitchen roll or other products can be filled with a treat or used as a toy.

Last edited:
It takes a lot of time to establish trust with rabbits for the first time. It took 1 month for Cookie to get used to and trust me with. I played with him only in his room for 1 month. And he just learned not to be afraid of me. But it took months for Cookie to totally love me, lick me, sleep with me. Really patience, treats, slow motion and touches are very important. It is also very important to communicate with her by constantly sitting on the floor. And don't always take care of her while she's sitting on the floor, after a while she will wonder and come to you herself. You can keep small prizes with you at those moments. And never hold her unless you have to, it scares her even more.
Yes I realise it takes patience. Tbh we have had a lot going on with Mischief aswell and I feel guilty not giving her enough time. Really we are giving her the attention but we have to take turns and it's difficult then as we start to get somewhere with her and she relaxes and then she has to be put away again xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

My Heidi loves willow balls and chews them into pieces. Sometimes she picks it up and places it in her litterbox,yet does not use it as a ball. She gets fibafirst and will come for a piece along with hand fed pellets.
My Raven loves his science select garden sticks. I break the stick in pieces to limit his consumption since they are treats.and He comes begging for them .. I use them to monitor his health, and to buy his affection.
My Amber and Zorro get pellets as treats.
Some bunnies will play with empty cereal boxes. Even empty cardboard tubes from kitchen roll or other products can be filled with a treat or used as a toy.
Thank you. Yes I have ordered a selection of edible balls and string type toys for Mischief which he loves and I think I may carry on with those for him. I haven't tried them on Lillabelle yet.

I save cardboard tubes but I haven't tried filling them with hay and stuff for Lillabelle yet so will do that. I will try cereal boxes aswell [emoji4]

I am mindful of not giving her too many different new foods. She has parsley now which she loves. Next one we are trying is dill as Mr C had a bit the other day that got stuck in a parsley bundle and loved it [emoji3] but they would make good training treats I thought.

I was thinking of trying apple or pear with her as a treat in teeny amounts. Not too much at a time. Do you think it would be ok on her stomach?

I will try the other Science Selective range but they are not keen on fibafirst sticks really which is unfortunate as now have a big box full of them. I will try them a little longer otherwise I will send them to you for your buns if you like [emoji6]xx

Thank you. Yes I have ordered a selection of edible balls and string type toys for Mischief which he loves and I think I may carry on with those for him. I haven't tried them on Lillabelle yet.

I save cardboard tubes but I haven't tried filling them with hay and stuff for Lillabelle yet so will do that. I will try cereal boxes aswell [emoji4]

I am mindful of not giving her too many different new foods. She has parsley now which she loves. Next one we are trying is dill as Mr C had a bit the other day that got stuck in a parsley bundle and loved it [emoji3] but they would make good training treats I thought.

I was thinking of trying apple or pear with her as a treat in teeny amounts. Not too much at a time. Do you think it would be ok on her stomach?

I will try the other Science Selective range but they are not keen on fibafirst sticks really which is unfortunate as now have a big box full of them. I will try them a little longer otherwise I will send them to you for your buns if you like [emoji6]xx

I think teeny bits of herbs as training treats are perfect, I wouldn't bother with the fruit - you want her hungry enough to eat lots of hay. Forage or hay stuck in cardboard rolls could well work

Mr C had his post op check over the phone. We felt it would be best for him not to take him back to vets next week. They are happy with him and we are stopping pain relief now and just need to carry on with syringe feeding water and apple juice until he drinks by himself.

He has another post op check in a week's time and we need to take him to vets for that one. His results are not back yet [emoji51] Whatever they are we feel we did the right thing anyway as we can find out exactly what is going on with him.

I think teeny bits of herbs as training treats are perfect, I wouldn't bother with the fruit - you want her hungry enough to eat lots of hay. Forage or hay stuck in cardboard rolls could well work
Ok will do. We don't need to worry about her being hungry! She eats like a horse![emoji38]

She gets through a massive amount of hay at night and 3 eggcup fulls of mix feed and has still lost her tummy. She has grown loads and is very leggy now. At 11 weeks she can jump on our bed without any effort. She is a very long bunny. But we are upping her mix feed again. Alfafa hay should arrive tomorrow.

I'm mindful of not feeding her too many veggies as she needs plenty of hay/mix for condition. She has a small bowlful twice a day. Like a tiny ashtray size full. But maybe it's too much?xx

I would not give apple or pear to a young bunny because her gut bacteria is still forming.
Thank you for offer,yet I just got a new box of Fibafirst and it will last a long time. Besides,your bunnies may change their minds-break in pieces and add to pellets.

I would not give apple or pear to a young bunny because her gut bacteria is still forming.
Thank you for offer,yet I just got a new box of Fibafirst and it will last a long time. Besides,your bunnies may change their minds-break in pieces and add to pellets.
I am going to use herbs for training her as they are healthier. If we stick to a simple diet she will be happy with that hopefully.

No problem. As you say they may grow to like them anyway xx

Last edited:
I am goung to use herbs for training her as they are healthier. If we stick to a simple diet she will be happy with that hopefully.

No problem. As you say tgey may grow to like them anyway xx

I believe Graciee posted to keep things simple and I agree.
Every bunny is different in what they can tolerate and their preferences. Good luck.

I believe Graciee posted to keep things simple and I agree.
Every bunny is different in what they can tolerate and their preferences. Good luck.
Thank you. I realise she needs to eat lots of hay to gain weight and her mix/pellets aswell so not too much veggies so will see how it goes xx

I wonder if anyone could help please?...Mischief was shaved for his op and scar is healing nicely. However we have noticed a white film all over the shaved area which is cracked in places. Is this part of the healing process? Just wondering if this is normal please?

He has got cracked skin in a couple of places in front of neck as it meets his chest where it is shaved. We tried to keep it dry but he makes it so difficult to go near and I nearly got bit a couple of times! Vet receptionist said to put a thin layer of sudocrem on these areas but again it is very difficult.

After we do the sudocrem he lies there breathing very quickly so it is probably sore plus stresses him out as it is such a vulnerable area maybe and he does struggle aswell. Not nice having to do that to him though [emoji22]

Just hope we are giving him the right treatment. If it doesn't improve this week with the sudocrem we may have to consider a vet visit but don't want to put him through that unless really have to.

Just want him recovered and results to be good news. My poor boy has been through so much recently and is so brave.

He has lost 0.2 kgs since his op but we have made his diet a lot healthier with various new hays and very little treats. He looks better for the weight loss [emoji4]

Really Mischief has been through a lot lately. It amazes me that they can deal with this with their tiny bodies. Also I never stopped praying for Mischief I still pray for him at least 3 times a day. I hope he recovers and becomes a healthy bunny.

It is hard to say what is going on re his skin without being able to see it. Can you post a photo ?
I will try however it is hard to even get to area as have to hold his chin up. I very much doubt I can get photo on my own so will be after 4 pm when OH gets back home.

It could be oils and salts from his skin where he has no fur. It is all over the bald patch so I don't think it could be where drink has dribbled down.

Is Sudocrem the best thing for sore skin? It's like the skin has slightly split. It could have got wet from dribbles of drink. We put a towel under his chin but he spits it out the corners of his moutg. It does look sore. I'm wondering if a spray would be easier to get to the area. As soon as I try to apply sudocrem he wriggles so much and freaks and I miss the spot. I even ended up getting some on his stitches last night! I don't know if it will be a problem now or whether the wound is healed enough!

I've booked him for vets tomorrow if it's no better but if I can avoid vets for now it would be better for him xx

I tried to look to see how it is this morning and at first glances it looks like it has improved. I will be able to see properly when my OH can hold him.

It's difficult as I have to lift his head up to see under his chin. He really hates it and makes me upset to stress him like that [emoji22]

It has to be done though.

Results are back from vets. I had voicemail this morning very early but when I woke and rang them vet had already gone into surgery for the day! So now have to wait for them to ring. So nervous! [emoji45]

For looking under his chin can you get him to reach up for a treat? You might be able to see then?

For looking under his chin can you get him to reach up for a treat? You might be able to see then?
Yes I do that to check it. When I said I have to hold his head I meant when trying to put cream on. I kind of dry it by getting him to lift his head then putting cotton pad there quick and just holding it there to absorb moisture.

However actually cleaning it with boiled water and cotton pad is just crazy. Almost impossible. Well without stressing him out. He fights so much and being such a big lad my OH struggles to hold him.

Then he does the throwing his head back and going into a trance thing which I hate. I do it quick then and then we let him go. He goes into fast breathing then for an hour. We honestly don't rough treat him. He just gets all stressed out with it [emoji22] xx

Yes I do that to check it. When I said I have to hold his head I meant when trying to put cream on. I kind of dry it by getting him to lift his head then putting cotton pad there quick and just holding it there to absorb moisture.

However actually cleaning it with boiled water and cotton pad is just crazy. Almost impossible. Well without stressing him out. He fights so much and being such a big lad my OH struggles to hold him.

Then he does the throwing his head back and going into a trance thing which I hate. I do it quick then and then we let him go. He goes into fast breathing then for an hour. We honestly don't rough treat him. He just gets all stressed out with it [emoji22] xx

It must be really hard. It’s so difficult with animals. Cleaning a growth that he had over groomed under my late German shepherd’s chest was also quite a task! 40kg of dog who hated anything that might hurt was nearly impossible too. As you say, it’s upsetting:cry:

It must be really hard. It’s so difficult with animals. Cleaning a growth that he had over groomed under my late German shepherd’s chest was also quite a task! 40kg of dog who hated anything that might hurt was nearly impossible too. As you say, it’s upsetting:cry:
Awww bless your poor pooch [emoji22]

It is hard. I really do get the feeling Mischief realises we are helping him or maybe it is just that he trusts us more now? But most of the time he now lets us do what we need to do.

But I guess the throat is the ultimate vulnerable area at the end of the day. It is hard to ignore those extincts especially when an animal doesn't understand xx

I have the results back from the vets...

The lump is benign. Some sort of inflammation. I don't know any more. I was so happy to hear the news I didn't ask for any more details. I will do that when I take Lillabelle tomorrow.

We are just so happy. My OH said he was nearly crying at work bless him. Finally we can hopefully relax and just get him sorted with his sore neck now. Stitches are dissolvable so that's ok. He has a post op check due next week to sign him off!

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Back