• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Large lump on face

I was just checking Mischief's mouth as he was biting the bars the bars of the puppy pen and made under his mouth a bit sore.

I happened by come across a large lump on his jaw area right by the side of his mouth. It is a bit smaller in size than a grape. I need to check again as he was getting stressed but I think it felt more like a cyst than a hard lump.

Has anyone any idea what this could be? Could it be a cyst? Or maybe an abscess from where he was chewing the bars? He is chewing a lot of toys aswell so could it be a splinter from a ball or something? Or even his teeth? I'm a bit in a panic here as to what it could be!

And just thinking he may need an operation or X-ray or something and anaesthetic again so soon after his neutering [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just had another look at the lump and it does move a little and I think it is an abscess on his cheek a little way back from his mouth. It looks too far forward to be his teeth but I don't know anything about this.

I also can see what looks like a puncture wound on it on outside of lump so furthest away from his mouth. I'm wondering if it could be from a chew toy or hay perhaps? He has been very actively chewing all his toys! I've taken out any harder chew toys for now.

He is eating hay right now and has been eating normally I think. Lots of hay is gone in the morning and all his food. He was quiet when the weather was hot so put it down to that and since then he has picked up a bit and he has run about and wanted strokes as normal.

When I put him in the puppy pen he was biting the bars again so I've had to let him run free. The lump is close to his mouth and wondering if that caused it and could aggrevate it.

I read that rabbits can have facial swelling, a common disease. I don't know, but usually dental disease or tumor is mentioned. I am adding the link below. I'm really sorry for Mischief, I hope he gets well soon. You're a great bunny mom, it's really great that you noticed it so early.

https://amp.modbee.com/living/article100016417.html

I read that rabbits can have facial swelling, a common disease. I don't know, but usually dental disease or tumor is mentioned. I am adding the link below. I'm really sorry for Mischief, I hope he gets well soon. You're a great bunny mom, it's really great that you noticed it so early.

https://amp.modbee.com/living/article100016417.html
Thank you xx

I didn't notice a lump last Friday when I noticed his sore mouth but the skin was broken where he had rubbed his mouth from biting the puppy gate. And the vet checked him over and did not notice it either. Plus I have checked his mouth since and all was fine.

I only thought to just check his mouth tonight in case he had rubbed it on the puppy pen again as heard him biting it this morning. We have given him loads if toys and he seemed to stop biting pen until now.

I do think it is an abscess for that reason as it has grown so rapidly. I also noticed he didn't like his ears touched today twice plus he keeps scratching his ears so I'm worried he has an ear infection and it has caused an abscess from that [emoji22]

He had the all clear from vets and we were just looking forward to new baby for him and now this happens!

I'm just hoping it is an abscess from a bit of hay or something rather than teeth or his ears as I read that can be difficult to treat. Poor Mischief. I have given him 1mls of loxicam in case he is in pain until I ring vets tomorrow [emoji53]

Oh dear, I hope it is not an ear base abscess. I would make sure he is seen by a Rabbit Savvy Vet today. Sending lots of vibes for him x

Yes I'm hoping it's not an ear infection aswell. Will a vet be able to see if he has one straightaway without X-ray?

That thing I talked to you about Inspector Morse...well since then the fur around his ear base has fallen out where the oil drops were in his hair follicles. I can't see how that it could be related to an ear infection though?

I just thought he was sensitive with his ears due to that. What if I missed something?

He hasn't eaten as much hay as usual and not eaten any pellets plus his poops are less and a lot smaller and harder. I tried to get him to drink but he just attacked the bottle. He won't drink from a bowl [emoji22]

He had some greens with water splashed on them so I will just try and keep him eating and I'm ringing the vets at 9pm.

Sorry to hear this, hope Mischief's lump can be quickly treated by vet, sending loads of vibes for him xx

Oh, no, poor Mischief. I'm so sorry he has a lump and is now not eating and drinking like usual. :( I hope the vet will be able to help him and that it won't be very difficult to treat, and that he'll feel better soon. Sending him so many vibes.

Best of luck with Mischief xx Poor lad's going through it :(
Thank you. I know he just recovered from his neutering [emoji53]

He is booked into vets for 6pm tonight. I've noticed he is still biting puppy pen and I wonder if he has caused the lump by repetitive rubbing as can see how the cage bar is rubbing right on the side of the lump when he bites it!

Would that maybe cause an abscess? He had an open wound there which seems to have healed up. I try and stop him but he does it now and again. I think we may have to lose the puppy pen.

I hope he is going to be ok in the pen when the baby arrives! Can see bonding in that being a problem now. He just wants to be next to me. He just lies down right next to me on the floor by my bed [emoji175]

Sending vibes for Mr Chief!

Rodney used to do the same and he often got marks on his cheeks from the bars but I think his beard prevented any actual wounds.

You may find once baby arrives he becomes besotted and doesn't do it so much or if he's not a cardboard eater you can line as much of the cage as possible with cardboard to prevent him doing it.

Or Nic cubes but I appreciate that's more expense again.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Sending vibes for Mr Chief!

Rodney used to do the same and he often got marks on his cheeks from the bars but I think his beard prevented any actual wounds.

You may find once baby arrives he becomes besotted and doesn't do it so much or if he's not a cardboard eater you can line as much of the cage as possible with cardboard to prevent him doing it.

Or Nic cubes but I appreciate that's more expense again.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
I'm hoping he stops doing it. He chews cardboard regularly. He has a little box and tubes in his cage for chew toys along with his other balls and things. He gets through cardboard pretty quick!

I don't know what Nik cubes are. I will look them up. We are ok for money and are willing to spend a bit to make him safe but I just hope this abscess doesn't rinse us for money going back and forward to the vets! [emoji53]

Luckily we have bought most of the stuff for baby coming. I was supposed to go and visit my dad on Saturday. I haven't seen him in 18 months due to covid as he lives miles away. He will be so disappointed if I have to cancel [emoji22]

Last edited:
:( You don't need this stress. I hope the vets appointment goes well & the lump is easily treatable whatever its cause x

Back