• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just ordered 10 bales of hay!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm afriad I'm cruel and mine "slum it" and get the regular, bog standard bales from the farm;) :lol: .

I did get to try some of this though from Capel. They adored it but one sack did the whole gang for ONE NIGHT... :lol:

Last edited:
I think what I've got is probably soft, so I'm sticking with that - I don't want bags of stuff they won't eat! Plus even my fussy pigs are quite into it now, so I don't want to rock the boat there!

Are people buying the soft or the coarse and what do they think of each.

I think what I usually have is the coarser type where the stalks are nice and long, so I requested that when I ordered - but they sent the softer stuff this time (which, of course, Rosie is not as keen on :roll: ).

I thought the quality was poorer, but when I queried it, they said that it's because it's the tail end of last year's hay as the new season's hay is too 'new' still. I should have thought of that before I ordered 5 bales :rolleyes: :lol:

I love the Dust Free hay and it's the only hay I buy now (I get the ten bale packs too, fortunately we have a shed although it's now purely for hay storage :oops: ). At 3.99 a bag it's much cheaper than the hay I was buying previously and I don't have to carry it home :lol:

I brought ten bales of the stalky kind last time and the rabbits and GPs both love it :D One bag lasts me about 4-5 days with two greedy bunnies and two equally greedy piggies! :love:

I got stalkier as well as I know thats the kind my bunsters prefer and its suppposed to be better feed quality and good for teeth. :D

My current bag is very coarse but the buns absolutely love it, I've never seen such lovely crumbly golden poos! You can only express a 'preference' for soft or coarse though it depends on what is in stock so you might find that you just get what you're given at this time of year. I'm definitely going to carry on buying it though, it's so much more convenient than bales and I don't have to put up with hubby whingeing that I've got hay all over the car from buying a bale :lol:

Back