• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just been told off

Must admit, I find carrots pricey cos I buy them with the tops on...:roll:

Yes I argee. I tend to skip the carrots with tops now. Poor neglected animals! :roll: I do get things like celery (they can have the leaves) and corn (they can have the husks & silks) though. Capsicums are the other thing that can get pricey - particularly red ones. Sometimes I just get the green caps due to the price, plus red caps are higher in sugar.

What is Kale and where do I get it from? I keep reading about it on here but haven't seen any :oops:

Another fan of the 50p spring greens from asda here!

I have to agree with your hubby about buying them prepackaged stuff. I don't necessarily think that they should have to be bought the cheapest stuff but buying it pre-chopped just seems really lazy to me. It only takes a matter of seconds to chop up a carrot into four bits. I love sitting and hand feeding them :love: Plus the added price etc. Could be better spent on bunny toys :lol::lol:

I get mine from Sainsburys. It is pre-packed and called curly kale. About a £1 a bag I think. Lasts well too :)

Mind you...here we are all saying curly kale, spinach but am I right in thinking high calcium in both????:oops:

My buns have organic veg/herbs and me and OH get the cheap stuff :oops::roll:

Mostly I prefer to feed them freshly picked long stems of meadow grass (from across the road from where i live) weeds and dandy leaves, all washed really well :)

Sorry, I agree with hubby. Pre-packaged stuff is what supermarkets called 'added value' meaning that they take a cheap product, chop it up, re-package and then triple the price. If you don't mind paying the extra, fair enough, but I would think it wasteful and I am sure the bunnies don't give a stuff as long as the stuff arrives in some shape or form. :lol::lol:

Not to mention the chemicals they wash and package it with to keep it 'fresh' longer. Mine only get pre packaged food very occasionally when we share a bag of spinach, rocket and watercress salad. Most of the time mine get spring greens, broccoli, parsley, carrots and I've even been known to ask one of the staff in Morrisons can I take all the cauliflower leaves the other customers have ripped off and dumped in the bottom of the shelf, to which I always get a bemused yes and to take them for free. :)

Must admit, I find carrots pricey cos I buy them with the tops on...:roll:

just bought huge bunch today 75 % off they looked fine, my buns were like " WHAT TOPS AS WELL " :shock: they looked a lil confused which end do we eat first :lol:

I avoid bagged stuff for my buns to be honest, I dont care what they say there is a gas to keep it fresh and its not just oxegen

i get my kale from asda but they [the rabbits] only have it once a week because its too high in something - calcium? builds up in some poor little organ - kidneys? they have spring greens, the outer leaves of savoy cabbage, sweetheart cabbage and we're going to try a green cabbage, which looks tasty (but not all at once). they have green beans as treats with a small piece of carrot once a week, and apple once a week. they haven't ever had banana - they were most suspicious of it when i offered a bit. i have a 'garden' (laughs bitterly) full of dandelions so they have dandelion leaves too. and parsley, mint, basil. they don't like coriander. but i get bored, and they must too. they have pak choi if i'm in m+s that day. they have spinach once a week at the most, too.
aha, i see someone's posting about the calcium as i write...

Going to go with Hubby too....I never trust pre packaged stuff.
Mine go nuts for anything veggy :lol:
I think Elve lost some piggies because there was something wrong with a bagged salad. I wouldn't risk it.

:shock: I feed mine on edible weeds and wild herbage from my garden. I do not wash it and I don't cut it into bite size portions. If they ever get to hear of this mythical prepped stuff they may down paws and go on strike.

{Mine are on a high hay/wild rabbit nosh with a few pellets diet but I do have a large garden and easy access to the countryside and hedgerows.}

I feed mine this way too - the only thing I buy now for them is the carrots (cos mine never grow :roll:) which are their treat, and pots of herbs if they've eaten all the ones that are growing. It seems to suit Clos tummy better to have a seasonal diet of 'wild' foods.

Mine do get pre packaged occasionally!

Like today, my mum had packaged spinach left over from making a curry so the bunnies got some spinach leaves. They went mad for it!

Not to mention the chemicals they wash and package it with to keep it 'fresh' longer. Mine only get pre packaged food very occasionally when we share a bag of spinach, rocket and watercress salad. Most of the time mine get spring greens, broccoli, parsley, carrots and I've even been known to ask one of the staff in Morrisons can I take all the cauliflower leaves the other customers have ripped off and dumped in the bottom of the shelf, to which I always get a bemused yes and to take them for free. :)

Agreed. I dont feed my guinea pigs anything that pre packaged other than baby tomatoes...

Don't give mine anything pre-prepared either. Spring greens are favourite, closely followed by carrot. I buy the ones with tops on from time to time cos they love them. If I buy non-topped ones I always cut off both ends before cutting them up :lol::lol::lol: cos I always think they're the nasty bits :lol::lol::lol:

the spring greens in asda are 50p just now so that's good value when u have 7 buns to feed! but the pre-packed chopped carrots in asda are sometimes 50p too so i will buy that then.
can't get kale in my asda but have a great local fruitshop that gets kale in for me. they sell me the previous day's parsley for 10p a bag which is great!

Mine only get value veg too...50p spring greens, 60p lettuce, 60p celery and economy bags of funny shaped carrots...bargain!

I personally can't see the point in buying expensive veg...and I definitely wouldn't buy pre-chopped veg because it goes off quicker.

I always buy carrot battons ready cut and ready sliced spring greens. Its so much easier and since I dont buy veg for myself I dont like preparing it.

kale only comes prepared, ive never seen what it looks like uncut :lol::lol:

i havent given spring greens since Judy's thread about a possible stasis link, no carrots either :cry::cry:.

i only give human veg now because in the winter when theres no brambles, roses, hawthorn or dandelions Alvin and Hollys tummies would need to get used to human veg again and i dont like that idea much so im keeping it in the diet just incase of future upsets :shock::shock:

kale only comes prepared, ive never seen what it looks like uncut :lol::lol:

i havent given spring greens since Judy's thread about a possible stasis link, no carrots either :cry::cry:.

i only give human veg now because in the winter when theres no brambles, roses, hawthorn or dandelions Alvin and Hollys tummies would need to get used to human veg again and i dont like that idea much so im keeping it in the diet just incase of future upsets :shock::shock:

Am drying a very large store of bramble leaves etc ready for winter so that the boys don't have to have too much human veg.

Am drying a very large store of bramble leaves etc ready for winter so that the boys don't have to have too much human veg.

i started but because ste came home ive used up my stocks.. theres no way im going to get them through winter the amount they currently have as treats or scattered in hay... a bit worried tbh, Alvin is doing so good and im scared itll all get undone by human veg :(

i started but because ste came home ive used up my stocks.. theres no way im going to get them through winter the amount they currently have as treats or scattered in hay... a bit worried tbh, Alvin is doing so good and im scared itll all get undone by human veg :(

Do you use herbs? I give those rather than veg, and you can buy pots of those all year round :)

Back