• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It must be disease

It's been exactly 48hours since Rolo died and Daisy is still fine....Am I right in thinking this means its probably not disease? I'll still be cautious for a few days etc x

It's been exactly 48hours since Rolo died and Daisy is still fine....Am I right in thinking this means its probably not disease? I'll still be cautious for a few days etc x

No, I would still be on the look-out for any signs of illness. Do you have any more rabbits - and, if so, have you had them checked over and vaccinated?

No, I would still be on the look-out for any signs of illness. Do you have any more rabbits - and, if so, have you had them checked over and vaccinated?

ok, the vet said if it was something like VHD they would go within 48hours of each other! and yh 3 more, but I have only had Daisy vacs for now, as she was with smartie and rolo, so the vet considered her most at risk if it was disease will be getting 2 more done in feb, but they are indoor buns, which I keep total separate, changing clothes and washing hands etc, im trying not to handle them much.

I'm still not convinced its disease! Having looked at the timing etc, smartie and crunchie died a week before Rolo, both crunchie and smartie had problems which my vet says probably caused their deaths, yes its a crazy coincidence for them to go on the same day...

Rolo came with smartie and for 3 years they have never been separated! its looking more likely that he died because of missing Smartie..

ok, the vet said if it was something like VHD they would go within 48hours of each other! and yh 3 more, but I have only had Daisy vacs for now, as she was with smartie and rolo, so the vet considered her most at risk if it was disease will be getting 2 more done in feb, but they are indoor buns, which I keep total separate, changing clothes and washing hands etc, im trying not to handle them much.

I'm still not convinced its disease! Having looked at the timing etc, smartie and crunchie died a week before Rolo, both crunchie and smartie had problems which my vet says probably caused their deaths, yes its a crazy coincidence for them to go on the same day...

Rolo came with smartie and for 3 years they have never been separated! its looking more likely that he died because of missing Smartie..

As has already been advised, I would have all your rabbits vet checked as a matter of urgency.

Did the losses occur after Elsie had her Kennel Cough Vaccine ?

yes about 9/10days after, but Elsie hadn't been near the buns that died, I would of thought Matilda and Grayson would of been affected if it were that as they live in the same room as Elsie :/ They even shared the same water until someone said it could be a problem:roll:

:wave:I hope all your other bunnys are okay and am very sorry for your loss. I truly dont want the following to offend you. Didn't you just buy a puppy? What would happen if she had a accident? Eg. If she broke a leg. (Yes its a horrible thing to think but accidents happen.) My friends dog broke his leg and it came to nearly £2000! If you can't afford to vaccinate your rabbits was it the best idea to buy aa puppy? Im sorry if this sounds mean I am just concerned about your animals. I truly hope its not a disease and just a very sad coincidence :(

:wave:I hope all your other bunnys are okay and am very sorry for your loss. I truly dont want the following to offend you. Didn't you just buy a puppy? What would happen if she had a accident? Eg. If she broke a leg. (Yes its a horrible thing to think but accidents happen.) My friends dog broke his leg and it came to nearly £2000! If you can't afford to vaccinate your rabbits was it the best idea to buy aa puppy? Im sorry if this sounds mean I am just concerned about your animals. I truly hope its not a disease and just a very sad coincidence :(

She's insured! :)

it's just a tight month as I'm sure it is for most people!!

Have to say I agree with this - insurance doesn't cover everything, and even with insurance you could end up with vets fees running into hundreds of pounds. If you have pets and you know January is a tight month you make sure you have money put away for emergencies.

I hope your remaining rabbits are ok, and the person who advised against a dog and rabbits sharing a water bowl was correct!

She's insured! :)

it's just a tight month as I'm sure it is for most people!!

Rabbits can cost just as much as dogs, as you are probably finding out. I would definitely think about insuring your remaining rabbits to ensure you don't have this worry in the future.

You must also bear in mind that insurance only covers a certain amount per year and per illness (It was about £1500 for rabbits, not sure what it is for dogs). With the breed of dog you have, she is very likely to develop some major health problems at some point in her life, and the insurance may not cover them. Most insurers won't cover ongoing dental issues in rabbits, either, so this is also something you must consider. Dental buns can rack up £1000's in vet bills. I would also sugest putting money away every week to cover their vacs.

I do believe that it is a disease that has killed your buns. It may be that they died because they were weakened by other illnesses/health problems. You need to stay vigilant, and definitely get the other buns vaccinated asap.

We can only give you advice, it is up to you to take it on board.

Seems strange to me that a new puppy has had all the necessary vaccinations and is insured - and yet none of your rabbits were vaccinated.

Can we please keep replies constructive. The OP's already mentioned that one of the bunnies has now been vaccinated and she'll be getting the others done next month so there's no point in picking apart what's happened previously.

Me not getting them vacs wasn't to do with money, I've umm'd and arr'd for months about it as heard healthy rabbits becoming ill from having te vacs! The problem is I just can't afford to get 3 buns vacs right this very minute! I never insure cats or rabbits... It's just not something I've ever felt the need to do! Most people I know outside of this forum that own animals other than dogs do NOT have them insured! But I'm not gettin into an insurance argument it's my choice! As is it ur to insure your rabbits if you wish to!

In other news daisy is still fine and tucking into her greens!

Have to say I agree with this - insurance doesn't cover everything, and even with insurance you could end up with vets fees running into hundreds of pounds. If you have pets and you know January is a tight month you make sure you have money put away for emergencies.

I hope your remaining rabbits are ok, and the person who advised against a dog and rabbits sharing a water bowl was correct!

:thumb:

We had Mia (cat) insured, but we had to fork out £700

Yes, strange..... and very sad for the bunnies :(

Really! If I spoke my mind about that comment I'd been banned for life! All for the sake of not insuring them lol !!

I think this thread should be closed now! It's getting ridiculous! And per, one person doesn't do what the forum expects and you get shot down and ganged up on!

Last edited:
Back