• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It must be disease

Trouble is if I take her to the vets... What can they do for her? If it is disease what can they do for her?

Mums gona ring the vets now x

Trouble is if I take her to the vets... What can they do for her? If it is disease what can they do for her?

Mums gona ring the vets now x

well better to try than just sit idle.
they can figure out what it is, and then treat.
if theyd had a pm done then theyd have a better chance of knowing what they were up against.
do you know how much your vet charges for a pm?
xxxxx

well better to try than just sit idle.
they can figure out what it is, and then treat.
if theyd had a pm done then theyd have a better chance of knowing what they were up against.
do you know how much your vet charges for a pm?
xxxxx

£125 minimum

In sorry to read this. :(

I have to say, I know it's expensive but you can't just leave them and hope. Can't you at least try to talk to the vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im sorry you have lost 3 rabbits and can only echo what others have said about taking your remaining rabbits in for a check up.

also and I dont want to sound harsh but you (and not just you) need to make sure you can afford rabbits and everything that their care may involve obviously including vet bills.

Im sorry you have lost 3 rabbits and can only echo what others have said about taking your remaining rabbits in for a check up.

also and I dont want to sound harsh but you (and not just you) need to make sure you can afford rabbits and everything that their care may involve obviously including vet bills.

I am sorry but I agree with this. I am very sorry for your losses but even sorrier for what your rabbits might have suffered all because they were not vaccinated. If you don't take action more will suffer. If you are too ill and poor to look after rabbits I really would suggest you don't get any more in the near future. Its not fair on them. You have got to do something for your remaining pets. Maybe contact the PDSA or Blue Cross to see if you qualify for any help, best to be as proactive as you can in this case.

I am sorry but I agree with this. I am very sorry for your losses but even sorrier for what your rabbits might have suffered all because they were not vaccinated. If you don't take action more will suffer. If you are too ill and poor to look after rabbits I really would suggest you don't get any more in the near future. Its not fair on them. You have got to do something for your remaining pets. Maybe contact the PDSA or Blue Cross to see if you qualify for any help, best to be as proactive as you can in this case.

pdsa may do cheaper rates for you.
what did the vet say?
xxxxx

Emmiee can you take a pic of the mould?
that's also something to tell the vet, do you have a stethoscope to listen to the lungs?
and am i right in saying the mould is on the underside of the dog kennel they stay in?

If you are not going to seek Veterinary advice then at least take the hygeine precautions I mentioned 2 days ago.

I am really sorry :cry:

I think taking your remaining Rabbits to the Vet for a check up today is pretty essential. Coccidiosis is one possible cause of the two tragic losses and this would put all in contact Rabbits at risk :cry: So a PM of poor wee Smartie is pretty essential too.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...sis-All-Rabbit-Owners-Should-be-Aware-of-This

In the meantime I'd do a thorough clean of the environment, removing every microscopic trace of fecal matter. Then a thorough total disinfection of the entire accommodation followed by a steam clean. You may need to house the remaining Rabbits elsewhere while everything dries out.

Also you need to use separate cleaning equipment for each area of accommodation.

If you have visitors who are likely to go on to have contact with anyone else's Rabbits then they must not go anywhere near your Rabbits or areas that your Rabbits have access to. I am assuming that your Rabbits are not/were not vaccinated ? If not then VHD is a possibility and so I would actually advise you to have no visitors at all for at least 2 weeks. If you have a VHD outbreak then the virus could easily be carried out of your home on the clothing/shoes of visitors. They could then endanger any other unvaccinated Rabbit they came into contact with. A visit to your home then a trip to P@H could potentially be catastrophic.

I am sorry that you have lost some pets, but I am very disappointed that advice given has been ignored.

I do have a pic of theould but I'm on my phone ATM so cnt upload, vets are in surgery ATM so ringing at 4, I have cleaned out disinfected and steam cleaned the kennel and daisy is just sat eating apple sticks!

I have worn gloves and took clothes off and now having a shower been outdoors for 3 hrs I cannot feel my fingers or toes!! no one else goes near the outdoor buns so that should be okay

Let us know how she gets on show the vets the mould also.
and it can be helpful to know what kind of wood the kennel is.

have all the buns that have passed been living together?
im not really upto full speed xxxx

2 of the 3 were together, the kenn wood is safe I remember checking before I got it done! And yh will show the mould

2 of the 3 were together, the kenn wood is safe I remember checking before I got it done! And yh will show the mould

not meaning for the buns, to find out what kind of mould it could be.
different woods have different ph levels and can host different mould.
if its a toxic mould then the buns breathing in the spores would not be good and not good for you either!

hope shes ok xxxxx

Back from the vets daisy is healthy and even slightly over weight!

Clear chest, teeth ears

She's also had yh combo vac

Did you mention the deaths and the possibility of coccidiosis? What does the vet think the buns died from? I'm not sure about vaccinating a bun that could already be fighting an infection that the other buns died from :?

I cannot win!!!

I dnt take her to the vets I get moaned at

I do take her I still get moaned at

What's done is done! She's been seen and that's all I can do !!

I cannot win!!!

People are just worried about your bunnies, the information you give the vets can change what exams they do so they may look for something other than a normal check up or recommend a prophylactic treatment.

Last edited:
I cannot win!!!

I think the point people are trying to make is vaccinating now may be ineffective (so a waste of money and a risk to her in the coming year). It also could mean that you're giving her more to fend off if she is fighting something from the other bunnies.

Did you make it clear to the vet why you were bringing her in? To check for potential signs that she was suffering from something that the others had died of? It's just that the teeth checkup and vaccination point more towards a general check-up than a check-up designed to check if she has any signs of the start of any illness/disease. A general check-up might not show any signs of trouble.

Are you able to upload the picture of the mould and let us know what the wood is? We can look into that and see if that could be causing anything.

This post isn't meant to be condescending or a moan, I'm just trying to mediate a little and work towards finding out what might have caused this. Hope it doesn't come across as offensive :wave:

EDIT: Also, if the other bunnies had died of VHD/myxo, vaccinating Daisy now wouldn't help as it takes 7-14 days for the vaccine to take effect. It's great that you got her done, but it seems very strange of the vet to do it. Are they rabbit savvy?

Last edited:
I cannot win!!!

I think it was more about the vets - I wouldn't usually expect vets to vacc if an animal could possibly have an unknown illness. But it depends on the situation, maybe they thought the risk of it being vhd was high?

I hope she's alright and doesn't contract whatever this illness is! I can empathize as I've had outbreaks before (not with rabbits tho) and it's awful :(

Back