• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It must be disease

I'm glad Daisy seems to be fine and has been vaccinated now. Personally I never see the point in post mortems but each to their own. Sorry to hear you've lost three bunnies though Emmie :( Hope the others don't come down with anything. As bad as it sounds, now you have three less, can you afford to get the other bunnies done too?

Poor bunnies....so sorry, how sad :( hope Daisy remains ok x

Just a thought.... do your dogs go anywhere near your bunnies?

Glad she seems ok, and hope she continues to be ok.

pic of the mould and also the type of wood the kennel is and ill get my oh to try figure out what kind it is.
hes good with that stuff.
keep very close eye on other buns, and if you follwed jj's cleaning then hopefully everything will be ok xxxxx

Glad Daisy is doing ok. I'm sure everyone is just trying to help, but can appreciate you must be feeling upset. Whatever the cause, it must be awful to lose three rabbits in a week. :(

Sending hugs, and vibes that all your other pets stay well. xx

I think the point people are trying to make is vaccinating now may be ineffective (so a waste of money and a risk to her in the coming year). It also could mean that you're giving her more to fend off if she is fighting something from the other bunnies.

Did you make it clear to the vet why you were bringing her in? To check for potential signs that she was suffering from something that the others had died of? It's just that the teeth checkup and vaccination point more towards a general check-up than a check-up designed to check if she has any signs of the start of any illness/disease. A general check-up might not show any signs of trouble.

Are you able to upload the picture of the mould and let us know what the wood is? We can look into that and see if that could be causing anything.

This post isn't meant to be condescending or a moan, I'm just trying to mediate a little and work towards finding out what might have caused this. Hope it doesn't come across as offensive :wave:

EDIT: Also, if the other bunnies had died of VHD/myxo, vaccinating Daisy now wouldn't help as it takes 7-14 days for the vaccine to take effect. It's great that you got her done, but it seems very strange of the vet to do it. Are they rabbit savvy?

yes, I explained everything right back since Albert died in Sept.

I said about the fact the jabs would be pointless is it was disease, he said if she does have disease there is little they could do anyway and so vac would be best to stop her getting if IF she hasn't but its around, even tho it takes ages to kick in etc

the mould he said looks like mildrew..and shouldn't be a cause of death

Poor bunnies....so sorry, how sad :( hope Daisy remains ok x

Just a thought.... do your dogs go anywhere near your bunnies?

not really, they go in the same garden (rabbits in the kennel dogs on the grass) but not face to face or next to each other x

Thanks guys. I was only on for a minute, I should have taken the time to explain more when I posted.

I said about the fact the jabs would be pointless is it was disease, he said if she does have disease there is little they could do anyway and so vac would be best to stop her getting if IF she hasn't but its around, even tho it takes ages to kick in etc

I would be worried about a vet who just said it was a disease and there's nothing they can do. How rabbit savvy is he?

I still think coccidiosis is a possibility, and I would want antibiotic cover in case of that. It kills quickly with no symptoms, and fecal tests can give false negatives so the only way to be sure is a PM.

I sort of agree with the vet. He can't know what killed the others with out a pm or if daisy is showing no symptoms. However rabbit savvy a vet is they can't be psychic. So if vhd seems the most likely cause then vaccinating to protect her in the future is one of the only things he can do.

I don't know if this is still possible but if it is we would pay for a pm to be done for you. I will also happily speak to your vet to see if we could get a better deal on the pm as our vet only charges £30. Just let me know.

I am sorry for your losses. I hope Daisy stays safe x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I sort of agree with the vet. He can't know what killed the others with out a pm or if daisy is showing no symptoms. However rabbit savvy a vet is they can't be psychic. So if vhd seems the most likely cause then vaccinating to protect her in the future is one of the only things he can do.

I don't know if this is still possible but if it is we would pay for a pm to be done for you. I will also happily speak to your vet to see if we could get a better deal on the pm as our vet only charges £30. Just let me know.

:love::love::love:

Great support Liz :love:

I'm glad Daisy seems to be fine and has been vaccinated now. Personally I never see the point in post mortems but each to their own. Sorry to hear you've lost three bunnies though Emmie :( Hope the others don't come down with anything. As bad as it sounds, now you have three less, can you afford to get the other bunnies done too?

In this case where multiple rabbits have died suddenly from unknown causes, and there are other rabbits in the household, I would think that the reason for needing a post mortem is obvious :?

What a lovely gesture of support. Really hope OP takes you up on it, to put her mind at rest.:love:

No advice to add, it's already been said. Just wanted to add my condolences :( Such an awful experience for you.

Binky free buns xx

I'm so very sorry to hear about Rolo. :( This has been such a terribly tragic time for you. I'd be frantic.
I hope Daisy will be okay and sending (((((((Huge hugs)))))) for you. xxxx

In this case where multiple rabbits have died suddenly from unknown causes, and there are other rabbits in the household, I would think that the reason for needing a post mortem is obvious :?

Yes, but as I said, each to their own. I don't see the point in forcing someone to have it done if they don't want it/can't afford it.

My heart goes out to you at this very sad and distressing time. I'm so sorry for your losses.:cry::cry:

Fingers crossed for Daisy. xx

I can only echo what others have said. I would get a PM done...it's the only way to know what's what. After three rabbits have died without any symptoms, I would be on full quarantine. Changing clothes between holding buns, washing hands, completely steralising everything. I would presume it is VHD..in which case, there's nothing you can do but vaccinate (as you already have) and wait and see.

Personally...if you can't afford a pm, I would be wondering how you will afford to look after your remaining rabbits, should others need treatment. Obviously, you have already spent a great deal on the first bun to get sick, but if the others developed these symptoms, what would you do?

Daisy is fine this morning :) not happy she's been shut in one section of the kennel tho but still her hyper self! She's had breakfast etc

2 of the 3 had problems! Crunchie had recurrent abcesses which the vet said probably was the cause, and Smartie had facial paralysis from an inner ear infection which again the vet said was probably a cause! It was only Rolo who wasn't 'expected' to die! And he could of died as a result of missing Smartie who was his original duo bond!

Daisy is fine this morning :) not happy she's been shut in one section of the kennel tho but still her hyper self! She's had breakfast etc

2 of the 3 had problems! Crunchie had recurrent abcesses which the vet said probably was the cause, and Smartie had facial paralysis from an inner ear infection which again the vet said was probably a cause! It was only Rolo who wasn't 'expected' to die! And he could of died as a result of missing Smartie who was his original duo bond!

Im glad daisy is still ok. I thought the other two had unrelated health issues but thought i had missed something. We have lost three rabbits within days on several occasions so know how awful it feels. Thinking of you x

Back