• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance the babies

Danni30

Young Bun
So bleu and belle are due to be picked up in two weeks ( cant wait )I have a pet health plan set up for them each for there vaccinations, flystrike and vet checks but just wondered is it worth getting them insurance have looked at pet plan they look pretty good ( I think)
What's your thoughts ?

Hi there

I think it's definitely worth getting insurance. Unless you're lucky enough to have rabbits with no health issues, vet bills for rabbits can get quite significant. The worst thing would be to find yourself in a position where finances mean that you can't get them treatment. Having insurance takes that worry away. My buns are insured with Petplan and I've had no issues when making claims.

As an alternative to insurance, the other option is to set up a savings account specifically for vet bills. This is something I understand many members on here do. The risk with that approach is that your bunnies may develop expensive to treat health issues before you've had a chance to build the pot up. The double kicker is that those issues could be excluded from the policy if you did then decide to take out insurance.

Good luck with your new arrivals. Exciting times! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Hi there

I think it's definitely worth getting insurance. Unless you're lucky enough to have rabbits with no health issues, vet bills for rabbits can get quite significant. The worst thing would be to find yourself in a position where finances mean that you can't get them treatment. Having insurance takes that worry away. My buns are insured with Petplan and I've had no issues when making claims.

As an alternative to insurance, the other option is to set up a savings account specifically for vet bills. This is something I understand many members on here do. The risk with that approach is that your bunnies may develop expensive to treat health issues before you've had a chance to build the pot up. The double kicker is that those issues could be excluded from the policy if you did then decide to take out insurance.

Good luck with your new arrivals. Exciting times! [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh I didnt even think of opening a saves account that a good idea but like you say doesn't cover the costs longterm I've just signed them up on petplan thank you

Part of my job is to deal with pet insurance through a vets. I could not be without it for my dog, and see people struggle who have been putting money aside each month into a savings account instead as one illness/accident could wipe out £1,000 plus of savings and it takes a lot of time to build that back up leaving them not covered. Whereas a lifetime policy if you choose a high amount you'd be unlucky to max that out and it replenishes each year.

However with small pets I haven't used insurance until recently, only one of my rabbits is insured as I hand reared her from a baby so got her insured straight away since I have all her history. My rescue rabbits were adults and the majority had already had a dental/stasis episode/EC treatment so had too much pre existing that wouldn't be covered. The rabbit I do have insured is with PetPlan, and she is having investigations (which have been put on hold due to lockdown) which are costing £400-500 and PetPlan have preauthorised this so I'm happy knowing they will cover that in full. Make sure your rabbits have a dental check once a year with your vet and if anything is noticed treatment must be carried out straight away in order for you to get dental treatment covered.

Speaking from experience, definitely recommend insurance! The bills do add up so it's always worth having. Hopefully you won't need it but it definitely gives peace of mind. Also just check what your plan excludes as they often have exclusions for things like dentals, I'm not with petplan so I'm not sure what they exclude although I hear they're quite good. I'm with Pinnacle for one of mine and Helpucover for another and pay less than £30 a month for both.

I have set them up on life time cover just over £20 for both which I thought wasnt to bad.
They exclude trimming, rasping and burring teeth that's all I can see on dental side off it , if I'm honest I didnt know what rasping and burring 🙄but there is obligations for dental if the rabbit had a dental check up in 12months of the the injury or illness and if any treatment recommended as result of the last dental examination with in 3 months of it taking place

Last edited:
Back