• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance claim- dental

wiggie

Alpha Buck
My rabbit is being treated for an eye and jaw abscess. She is a long term dental bunny who's last check was 2 weeks before the abscess. I know routine dental care is not covered but does anyone have experience of successfully claiming for related conditions such as this? We are with pet plan who say they will consider the claim.

Ash is a long term dental bunny too :wave: She had a tooth abscess a couple of years ago and Petplan covered it :) they've also covered other related issues like GI stasis and when her incisors were removed.

Hope your bunny gets through the surgery OK.

Thanks for that! It gives me hope! She has had one surgery on her eye already and will have the jaw op next week. She seems to be doing ok so far but gunna be a long one and expensive, hence the question.

Has been insured way before the rentals! Thanks guys. Looks like she may be coming home in a couple of days!

How much has it cost if you don't mind me asking? We think theres a possibly abscess and I lostmy job just as I got her so never got her insured as wanted to be in a stable job before promising to make payments. I do have temp work for 3 weeks and the OH will help if need be but I just wanted a ball park figure if you can.

How much has it cost if you don't mind me asking? We think theres a possibly abscess and I lostmy job just as I got her so never got her insured as wanted to be in a stable job before promising to make payments. I do have temp work for 3 weeks and the OH will help if need be but I just wanted a ball park figure if you can.

For me, the cost of removing Ash's abscess was £372.90 :shock:

Yes, was in exactly the same situation and Petplan paid the claim in full with no problems. The dental work is required to aid recovery of the other problems, so I really don't see that you would have a problem. Roger had abscesses, and needed dental work as well to successfully treat them, and Petplan were fine. I was told that their only requirement was that the bun had had a dental within the last 12 months.

Nope, didn't get any help as Ellie's teeth were a 'known problem', her jaw abcess removal was £296.97.

My rabbit is being treated for an eye and jaw abscess. She is a long term dental bunny who's last check was 2 weeks before the abscess. I know routine dental care is not covered but does anyone have experience of successfully claiming for related conditions such as this? We are with pet plan who say they will consider the claim.

I just realised an easy way to answer this. Have you got any exclusions on your bun's insurance with Petplan? If not, I really don't see that you have a problem. Roger was a dental bun but there was no exclusion on his policy, and when he needed surgery for a abscess under his tongue, they paid it in full.

Back