• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Inadequate pain relief? X-ray photo added

I've read about something before (on here) that helps flush the wound and heal. Is that C10??

I'm not exactly sure what would be appropriate until have better idea of exactly what we're dealing with. But I'd like to ask vet about things like this or packing with Manuka honey etc.

Do you mean F10 perhaps?

I would never use it, but have regularly used Manuka honey without flushing out wounds first. The honey melts and cleans and disinfects.

I had 2 rabbits who ended up with open wounds from jaw abscess surgery. I used to pack the wounds twice a day with a high UMF manuka honey after cleaning it out with swabs and dilute hibiscrub, or just water. One of them used to attract flies around the wound, so I used F10 round the wound on the recommendation of the vet. I would certainly use it again if needed. It is OK on open wounds (not sure I would use it to flush out a wound, though - need to check) and the insecticide prevents fly larvae hatching (like Rearguard does, but was not suitable in this instance) - which was the issue I was working on.

http://www.mah-shop.co.uk/germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide---from-1125-807-p.asp

Just make sure that the F10 does not come into contact with cats.

Do you mean F10 perhaps?

I would never use it, but have regularly used Manuka honey without flushing out wounds first. The honey melts and cleans and disinfects.
It must be that I was thinking of, MightyMax. I'll do a more thorough search of old threads when time allows.

I have copy of x-ray if anyone is interested. dorsal ventral view. Second on is enlarged and I've added arrows point out problem areas.

299a9cfa-be25-4023-bed5-89a4ad82792e_zpsgqosayl7.jpg

image_zps98ihz40b.jpeg

On your right, you can see the swelling, the round bony prominence of ear is less defined and also the thinner end portion of mandible.

I had revisit with vet on Friday and we're back on penicillin shots AND he agreed pain med could be upped if required. I mentioned I thought they could have 0-3-0.6mg at least, which he readily agreed. In fact, he was confused as to why I had cat meloxicam. So I am more convinced the clinic did not speak with him Wednesday when I rang. :( Next visit, I will be asking him if the other vets there are on board with the higher doses for rabbits.

I'm to irrigate the wound best I can in the meantime. My boy is doing well, coping with medicating and my prodding around. Appetite is good. :)

Last edited:
I have copy of x-ray if anyone is interested. dorsal ventral view. Second on is enlarged and I've added arrows point out problem areas.

image_zps98ihz40b.jpeg

On your right, you can see the swelling, the round bony prominence of ear is less defined and also the thinner end portion of mandible.

I had revisit with vet on Friday and we're back on penicillin shots AND he agreed pain med could be upped if required. I mentioned I thought they could have 0-3-0.6mg at least, which he readily agreed. In fact, he was confused as to why I had cat meloxicam. So I am more convinced the clinic did not speak with him Wednesday when I rang. :( Next visit, I will be asking him if the other vets there are on board with the higher doses for rabbits.

I'm to irrigate the wound best I can in the meantime. My boy is doing well, coping with medicating and my prodding around. Appetite is good. :)

Thanks for sharing the Xray images. I am glad that the Vet is happy to prescribe the Depocillin and higher dose of Meloxicam. I hope that your Rabbit continues to cope well xx

image_zps98ihz40b.jpeg

Thank you so much for posting the X-ray. I'm glad your vet has agreed to the penicillin being continued, and also to the pain relief. Are you still on the Cat Metacam?

Good luck irrigating the wound. You really do have his best interests at heart and caring for him beautifully x

Thank you. I hope my care is enough!
Yes, still cat strength. :/ Just giving daily maintainence dose for now. He seems to be coping well.

Back