• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

im going to get an rabbit

Please look closely at some of the figures on that poster, I am sure that is more than you earn on a paper route, just remember, a rabbit is not a toy, they are a true friend and they have very big needs. Vet care when they become ill is very expencive....... very very expencive. Alot of people take out insurance on their buns to put a bumper on the costs......They are cuddily, but ever so fragile.

My rabbit Tipsy, cost me over £600 (I am too scared to add it up properly... I think its more £1000.....) because another rabbit bit her to assert dominance and caused her to get abcsesses...... she lived, but it still cost a lot!

Then theres my sisters rabbit, Toby, he has dreadful dentl problems, for some reason his insisors started growing abnormally (randomly, he was 5 years old when it started....) and now he had to have operations to have his front 4 teeth removed about 3 times a year at a wonderful cost of at least £100 a time. :( Hes 8 so still got a few years to go but hes happy other than that. We dont have the heart to put him down because of his bad teeth, its not his fault.

Its like a marriage, you have to be in it for sickness or for worse. Can you forsee your mum bailing out 3 digit (and maybe 4 digit) cheques to keep your new friend alive?

Sometimes its better to wait till you have a better income, so your parents dont have to pay..... that way YOU get to make the decisions. I know for a fact that if Tipsy were my mums rabbit, she would have been put down because the costs were mounting.

Good luck in whatever you choose. Is there a rescue near you where you can bunny cuddle and help clean out in the holidays?? Always better to pinch someone elses for a cuddle..... at least you dont have to pay for those!!!

Sorry for the ramble..........at 14, your parent/s will be in charge of most things, which can suck, I am 22 and not long past it. I would have very strong feelings against my mum if she prefered to put my rabbit down instead of bailing out lots of money to save him/her.

There's already been some great advice from people on this thread but I thought I'd say a little about considering a rabbit's lifespan.

You're reaching a point in your life when things are going to start getting really busy and a lot of things may well change, including things you might not even be thinking about now.

When I was 14 I'd have loved a pet but I was never allowed one. At the time I thought it horribly unfair but in hindsight my parents were doing the best thing for both me and the prospective pets!!! I found it very hard to think of my life changing so much I might not have time to care for an animal. However at 17 I met my future husband, at 18 I left home to move in with him, at 20 we got married and then shortly after we bought and moved into our first house. All of that within the possible lifespan of a rabbit!!!!

I didn't even have university to consider but most people do. It may seem like forever now but it's really not that long until you'll be considering things like that yourself.

1.jpg
Haven't seen that poster before - just exactly which vets are they going to the spend £100 a year on vaccinations? My vet bill comes nowhere near that figure.

There's already been some great advice from people on this thread but I thought I'd say a little about considering a rabbit's lifespan.

You're reaching a point in your life when things are going to start getting really busy and a lot of things may well change, including things you might not even be thinking about now.

When I was 14 I'd have loved a pet but I was never allowed one. At the time I thought it horribly unfair but in hindsight my parents were doing the best thing for both me and the prospective pets!!! I found it very hard to think of my life changing so much I might not have time to care for an animal. However at 17 I met my future husband, at 18 I left home to move in with him, at 20 we got married and then shortly after we bought and moved into our first house. All of that within the possible lifespan of a rabbit!!!!

I didn't even have university to consider but most people do. It may seem like forever now but it's really not that long until you'll be considering things like that yourself.

Ah yes, good point, when I went to uni, I had to leave my outdoor bunnies at home :( Nowhere will accept them, especially not halls.

I loved getting my two when I moved in with my OH though, it was something we did together and it allowed him to bond with them too......that was worth waiting for ;)

Haven't seen that poster before - just exactly which vets are they going to the spend £100 a year on vaccinations? My vet bill comes nowhere near that figure.

Its on the MMC website.... it is possible to spend that much on vaccs depending on how much your vet charge, I mean 2 x Myxi and 1 x VHD, thats 3 vaccs a year.

Its on the MMC website.... it is possible to spend that much on vaccs depending on how much your vet charge, I mean 2 x Myxi and 1 x VHD, thats 3 vaccs a year.
I must have a cheap vet then myxi vaccine is £12 and VHD's £16 give or take a few pennies.

I loved getting my two when I moved in with my OH though, it was something we did together and it allowed him to bond with them too......that was worth waiting for ;)

Absolutely agree with that, it was lovely when OH and I got our first dog together :love:

Thankfully he's as nuts as I am and is quite keen on bunnies too:D

I am going to say if you want to get a rabbit please ensure you do all research and provide big enough accommodation etc. I feel as if people are telling you to not get a rabbit but if both you and your mum are willing to dedicate yourselves to the time and effort and money in to a rabbit and that you understand the needs then I don't see the problem.
I had a rabbit when I was young and she was my baby and I miss her. She was the love of my life when I was younger and I can't imagine my childhood without her.
My mum did research though and my rabbit was vaccinated and neutered etc and I looked after her well and she was well loved. So just ensure you know what looking after a rabbit involves and also ensure you and your mum can afford to look after it and afford vet bills. My rabbit was at the vets at the first sign of anything wrong. My sister had another rabbit so they weren't alone, he was older than her. Good luck whatever you decide! :wave:

Last edited:
A lot of people are saying to wait until you are older, but i got my rabbits at 16, and my rats at 18. i love my animals so much that i won't leave them to go to uni, or work. when i move, they'll come with me.

i think you just have to understand that life may be a bit more tricky, like you won't be able to choose unis far from home, and you'll only be able to choose between pet-friendly flats etc. as long as you are fully aware of that, then i'm sure you will be a great rabbit owner. i pay for my animals, but when i can't pay, my parents pay and then i pay them back. basically, all of your wages go on your animals when you earn little money.

I think 14 is a fine age for a pet, you will be mature enough to do the work involved and understand the responsibilty. A lot of people are saying in the future. However perhaps you won't want to go to Uni/College. I knew at 14 I didn't want to go to either as I knew what I wanted to do didn't need those. So I got my pets, and here I am, 22, and surrounded by my 12 pets.

Yes bunnies can be hard work, but it is very rewarding. Single rabbits can live alone quite happily, as long as you are willing to spend plenty time with him/her! Some rabbits don't like other rabbits as well, you could find one of those. I had one like that, she got plenty attention from me and was a happy bun.

I got my first rabbit at 11. :)
I put in the hard work and was out with him free ranging in the garden in all weathers. My mum made me feed him before I got my dinner and clean him out before I got to watch TV.

If you know it will be hard work then go for it, having a rabbit is so much fun. They need lots of time and care but they give lots of love back. :love:

i dont think age has anything to do with it at age 11years i had a rabbit, however mum did most of the caring i jsut helped as i grew up when i di move from home chelsea(rip) was quite elderly had a fantastic set up with mum and we decided it was in chelseas interests to stay with mum, she continued to the ripe age of 11.5 years!:) and was one contented bunny! (she had variosu partners during her life) she was a bunny rabbit by that i mean not a peoples rabbit she hated being stroked or fussed but was very good to take meds come when you called her eat her dinners use her tray she jsut prefered company of her own kind!!!

i guess my point is think about all the points raised and make sure your mum is willing to keep bunny when you go off to uni/move out should she NEED to. i always thought my pets could come with me and was surprised when that wasnt the case ( i now have 4 bunnys of my own and currentlyl 3 hammies)

rabbits are expensive i have 2 myxo jabs today which when i got my rabbits first they cost £15 each now i pay £28 per bunny per injection! gulp....
(do the maths £28x3 x4 = £336 a year only in vaccinations)

still iits worth it! great idea bout the space i would definatly get your rabbit neutered if you get the 1yr old and she hasnt been done (or alternativly get one from a rescue who ahs already been neutered thus saving huge amounts of money!!!) as apart from being hormonal bunnies regularly get cancer(over 85% die sue to it) therefore it is really in your buns health also you need to find a rabbit savvy vet in your area as rabbits are now classified as exotics and not every vet has the expertise to deal with them correctly, it can be the difference between life and death for a critically ill bunny .
this may help you too....
Rehoming Animals Telephone Service (RATS) (View Rabbits)
Tel: 01234 301526 /

The Alternative Animal Sanctuary,
Doone Brue Farm, Windmill Road, Pepperstock, Luton, Beds, LU1 4LQ
Tel: 07818 406619 / Email / Website

Sandy Rabbit Rescue (View Rabbits)
14 Berwick Way, Beds, SG19 1TR
Tel: 01767 691347 / Email /

RSPCA Beds South Branch (View Rabbits)
c/o 3 Buttercup Close, Dunstable
Tel: 07967 013373 / Email / Website
and this is a list of bunnys in your area
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sear...bBond=%&County=Bedfordshire&Submit=++Search++

also you could go along the route of getting a bunny froma rescue further afield this often happens and means that a bunny run would get arranged for them to be transported to you you would still have a homecheeck too :) good luck in the search for your bunny. x

Back