• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm giving up rescuing

I totally understand how you feel Tree - I'm miserable and I don't even rescue any more since I have a houseful - just the trying and failing, the mistakes and deaths, the nursing, and the time, the work, the money you throw at trying to do something good for years, to the total detriment of your own quality of life (mine is non-existent) - and in the face of that you have idiots still churning out babies and feeding the fire, pet shops that don't care, cruel cruel people etc etc - it really is depressing when you realise that all you have given up and all you have tried to do, is just peeing in the wind :(

Maybe cutting down on your rescuing or taking a break from it for a while may make you feel better. Its a shame that people treat anmals in such a manner and kind people like you have to go in and pick up the pieces!
So sorry about you feeling down, may also be worth a trip to the doctor when i felt like that it was the start of severe depression...............

I think during the break period you will either decide that you miss it and want to re-open Underhill Rabbit Rescue or decide after all you don't miss dedicating all of your spare time to rescuing and will stick to having your own buns and maybe offering home to more aggressive buns as I know you get great pleasure out of the buns that rip chunks out of you :shock::lol::lol:

Dont be sad just look at this as a rest period during which time you can think about which path you choose to take in your life xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You are great Tree and you are great to the buns but eventually something had to give and this can only be a positive thing for you whatever the eventual outcome :love:

I know I am not around as much these days so am not really sure what has been the final straw. But I can certainly understand how dealing with the :censored: other people cause with regards to Rabbits must be so emotionally draining.

I know that whatever you decide to do it wont be a decision made without much thought. If you do close your Rescue then dont feel you have failed. You have done more than many, including myself. I know I could not last 1 week doing Rescue.

I am really sorry that you feel so down :cry:

Tree - don't think you haven't done a brilliant job. I'm not a rescue & could never ever doing it -For me - the whole foster thing is a complete cop-out for someone not wanting to dedicate all their time & energy & entire life to rescuing - as you & several other people on this forum do. All I need to tip me over the edge, is one ill bun, or one bad rescue situation & it gets too much for me - I can back out of fostering in about 30 seconds- so to do this over & over makes you an amazing person.

You haven't failed, & even if you close, you have still helped dozens & dozens of buns to a better life with your rescuing, advise & support to other rescues.

I think the guilt of losing a bun, or making a decision that you later wish you hadn't - stays with everyone if they care. You always feel like you made the "wrong" choice, or you were lacking somewhere - but the truth is - rescuing is the frontline - you have to make on-the-spot decisions with no one to blame if the result is not what you intended. And it's easy for other people to condemn your decisions. But where were they when the decision was to be made?

Hope you feel better soon - I don't think anyone who runs a Rescue can lead a "normal" life. And if you quit - you have still done your bit - & a damn sight more than most people

Hey Tree :wave:

I totally understand why you feel like this and I have to say, you are awesome! You have a demanding full time job AND run a very busy rescue in a part of the country where rabbit abuse is rife and I have no idea how you have stayed strong for so long hun!

You must never blame yourself. You have done NOTHING wrong. You have done everything you can to save these bunnies and think of all the rabbits that have come through your welcoming, loving door and gone on to lead a wonderful life.
Sadly, there will always be some you just can't save, no matter what you do for them :(

Whatever you decide I support you and know you will make the right decision for you and the buns and I also know you will continue to help all animals you come across in some way or another whether you decide to wind down Underhill or not :)

Heaps of hugs and chin up xxxxx

Im sending you big huge hugs hun. You have always put the bunnies first in your life and you have made all the right decisions for each and every one of them. Many bunnies you have taken in would not be alive without your true dedication, love and patience. You are an inspiration to me and many others on this forum and you are a true friend :love: The rescue buns have brought us sad and also many happy moments, concentrate on those happy times hun :) Seeing those rescue bunnies binkying around their new homes and the smiles on their new mums and dads faces. You have done everything right mate and no way should you feel guilty. On behalf of all the bunnies you have helped I want to say a huge thank you. Also thank you for being my mate and giving me a chance to meet so many lovely bunnies. xxxx

Tree I'm so sorry you have been made to feel so bad you have had to make this decision:cry::cry:
If your personal life is suffering then I say it is time for a break at least.
Do not let anyone make you feel you have failed..you haven't.
You have helped so many animals and dedicated all your time and money to them.
I'm sure most of us understand how you feel.
Sending hugs and wishing you well xxx

Awww Tree, you're too far hard on yourself. You have done so much - you're not psychic and you can't see the future, all you can do is try your best, and unfortunately it doesn't always work out the way you hope, but at the same time you can't tell what would have happened if you hadn't got certain rabbits the vet treatment that you think made things worse... the best you can do is to go on what you know and the best advice of your vet, and that is what you have done, so don't say you've failed because you haven't.

To be honest, I don't know how you to it, the time and the money and everything is much more than I could cope with, so maybe you should put yourself first for a change, no-one could criticise you for choosing to do that after all the rabbits you have helped.

Hope you feel better soon.

I am so sad to hear how upset you are today, I know how stressful running a rescue can be and I often ask myself how long can I keep doing this!

There has to a time though, when you have to think about yourself, take care of yourself and and have time to relax and do the things you want to do. I think you are wonderful and you must have made a difference in so many rabbits lives, but if it time to call it a day then no guilt should be felt. You should feel proud of yourself and also relieved that your life will soon have some kind of normality in it again :D you don't owe anyone anything nor explanations but you do deserve to have time for yourself. :D

Good luck Tree xxxx

I'm sorry you've come to this decision. I think you rescue owners are so strong. I could never do or cope with all that you do. Best of luck with everything. I think it is sometimes right to put your needs and health first. :)

awwww hunny *HUUUUUGGGGSSSSS*

not even gonna pretend to know what you go thro day to day as i live safely in my little bubble of never seeing the suffering you do.

good luck with fixing yourself hun and i hope what you have witnessed these last few years havent left scars too deep xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To say I am shocked:shock: is and understatement, but I also know where you are coming from. You have always done a brilliant job with helping other rescues before you started your own and it is really sad to think it has got you to this stage. We all get times when we hit a really low point (I am at this point at the moment where i feel I just need a break away, not from the rabbits but the idiots who call themselves humans and give you the **** & bull on why they are giving up their rabbits). Can you not get someone to look after the buns and you and Bryn get away for a bit of quality time together, you may then feel different but then you may not but this will help you make the right decision for you.

Nobody really realises unless you run a rescue the pressure you come under and the heartache as most of us rescues take the rescues in and they are treated as our own pets so when something sad happens and it is beyond our control you still feel as if you have lost a loving pet and it never gets easier. Regards to the last 2 bunnies it wasn't your fault and you should never blame yourself after all if you hadn't have taken them then they would have suffered in pain to the end but thanks to you they have gone knowing that they were loved and cared for when it mattered most.

I could write forever and try and persuade you not to give up but you have to do what is right for you. Just remember we are here if you need anything at all.
xxx

I'm not trying to make to change your mind, but just think.
Even though you may not be changing the world, just think about all those bunnies whos lives you've completely turned around.
Think of when they came to you and now think how they are.
Think about it... your bunnies need you.
Was reading your last thread and i must say, you did everything you could...
Petty Knit Picking was to blame.
Anyway, lots of love and vibes..
Hets xxx

I'm so sorry it's come to this Tree and as I was in the same position just a few months ago I do realise how you feel and how far you must have been pushed to reach this decision...everyone has a breaking point.

To other members please don't urge Tree to continue, it's not fair and will only add guilt into the mix, guilt she shouldn't feel. It's not her fault the world is a **** and it's not her job to put it to rights all the time.

I wrote this when I was giving up, I suspect it's quite relevant to here as well:

When Enough is Enough

Happy Hoppers to the count of four remain
We continue the fight so their lives aren’t in vain

But when they are gone to a home better than I
I regret to tell you, my friends, the end is nigh

For what do you do when you’ve had enough?
Taken the smooth, been overwhelmed by the rough

When no matter how hard you fight the outcomes the same
A never-ending battle of heartache and pain

When ignorance bellows from a million lungs
Your lone cry echoes as if in foreign tongues

When you see neglect and cruelty through lies of denial
And break down and sob every once in a while

For what do you do when you’ve had enough?
Taken the smooth, been overwhelmed by the rough

When there are no more tears for a heart to cry
An emotional void of compassion run dry

When strength of character can’t keep you tough
In the face of those who just don’t give a stuff

This is much more than a temporary blip
Right through my life its beginning to rip

So what do you do when you’ve had enough?
When you’ve taken the smooth, been overwhelmed by the rough

At the risk of being branded Oh, so weak
To not posses the power to deal with an outlook so bleak

There is only one thing that can be done.

Look where you got us, look how ignorance won.

CopyRight S Rolland 2008

I think you do an amazing thing, but I can also understand why you don't feel like you can carry on. I think people who don't run rescues don't fully appreciate how much time and effort goes in to helping all of these animals. It literally takes over your life and you have to make many sacrifices. I for one couldn't do it, I only have six bunnies of my own and have fostered for two years and have reached the point where I can't even do that anymore for my own sanity. What you must be feeling is 1000x worse. Don't feel guilty, you have helped so many animals find loving homes and it takes a very strong, compassionate person to do what you have done.

I think people forget that people doing rescue work are actually human. You have your own needs and if you ignore those to carry on what you are doing then doesn't that mean you are cheating yourself out of other possibilities?
I think every one who is involved in rescue work should be commended, but I would never begrudge someone who gave it up to take care of their own needs. I think you are doing what is right for you. Sending you huge hugs....

xxxxx

cant you give the rescue to somone in your damily for a while and have some relaxsation time then come back????

Back