• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plastic grid playpen or metal grid playpen?

Hello, I've done my research and am ready to get a bunny. However, I'm not sure if I should purchase a plastic playpen (the transparent clear grids) or a metal playpen (the black ones with the holes). I want a play pen with a lot of grids so I can make it as big or tall as I need to while still having some to spare (my bunny will also be free roam btw, but I still want a lot of panels so they have room in their own space). I also would like one with a door, and if it doesn't come with a door can someone tell me how to make one please 😭? Anyway I'm thinking about making a tunnel inside of the pen for the bunny to crawl into, but since the bunny will likely be a baby I will probably need to put some panels on top of the pen to make a lid, but I'm worried about ventilation with the plastic ones. And if I get the metal ones, I won't be able to make the tunnel because of the wire flooring but also since it isn't as much as a wall as the plastic ones would be, I'm not sure if my bunny would get stressed. Yes with the plastic ones you can still somewhat see but with the metal ones you can see all the way, I don't want it to get scared by me making a sudden movement or anything. I want my bunny to feel safe because that is there safe space. What do you guys think? Or do you have a link perhaps? One that fits my needs and isn't too expensive please. Thanks for anyone that can help!!

Do you mean these kinds of grids?

71OIiAOz-mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

818DXD7rMgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If so, I would definitely not choose the plastic ones, as they are very easily destroyed by bunny teeth. If you make it high enough, you won't need a lid, unless you have other animals in the house that could get in or you happen to adopt a bunny with some great climbing skills. Personally, I find puppy pens like these much more convenient:

918fAt5gZ6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0758FX7MJ)

They're available in various heights and you can connect them together. You can easily get inside through the door as well. Either way, whether you get grids or a puppy pen, make sure that your bunny can't get their head stuck between the bars/grids by covering the bottom of the pen with wire mesh, especially if you adopt a baby bunny who could try to squeeze through the bars or grids.

Do you want to make the tunnel out of the grids? I think it would be easier to just get a ready-made tunnel like this:

81E9JyTt5eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You can find them by searching for cat tunnels or rabbit tunnels. They're nice and enclosed, and comfortable for them to lie in.

Anyway, how exciting that you're planning on adopting a bunny! Please consider adopting one from a rescue if you haven't yet. Well, a good rescue would only let you adopt at least two bunnies, but bunnies should be kept together, so that's for the best! There's lots of lovely bunnies waiting for good homes in rescues. :)

Last edited:
Do you mean these kinds of grids?

71OIiAOz-mL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

818DXD7rMgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If so, I would definitely not choose the plastic ones, as they are very easily destroyed by bunny teeth. If you make it high enough, you won't need a lid, unless you have other animals in the house that could get in or you happen to adopt a bunny with some great climbing skills. Personally, I find puppy pens like these much more convenient:

918fAt5gZ6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0758FX7MJ)

They're available in various heights and you can connect them together. You can easily get inside through the door as well. Either way, whether you get grids or a puppy pen, make sure that your bunny can't get their head stuck between the bars/grids by covering the bottom of the pen with wire mesh, especially if you adopt a baby bunny who could try to squeeze through the bars or grids.

Do you want to make the tunnel out of the grids? I think it would be easier to just get a ready-made tunnel like this:

81E9JyTt5eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You can find them by searching for cat tunnels or rabbit tunnels. They're nice and enclosed, and comfortable for them to lie in.

Anyway, how exciting that you're planning on adopting a bunny! Please consider adopting one from a rescue if you haven't yet. Well, a good rescue would only let you adopt at least two bunnies, but bunnies should be kept together, so that's for the best! There's lots of lovely bunnies waiting for good homes in rescues. :)
Thanks!! But couldn't the rabbits head get stuck through the metal grids too? And also I would really like one that I could shape and adjust, like the first two panels you showed. And as for the plastic ones, I've seen a lot rabbit owners and even popular rabbit owners (Like Lennon The Bunny) recommend them as well as the metal ones.

I use puppy panels all the time. You can adjust the shape to fit the space. Just make sure that very tiny bunnies can't get heads stuck and line the bottom 30cm or so with fine weldmesh fastened with cable ties or wire twists if needed. Most rabbits can't get out of a 4' high enclosure unless they have something to climb on. You can use an old bed sheet and some clothes pegs as a roof to discourage jumping out when they are not supervised.

Bunny proofing a whole room is also an option. Hide all wires / cables behind puppy panels and use a baby gate across doors (again, you may need to use finer mesh to line the bars).

As for tunnels, etc - look at ones aimed at cats.

Thanks!! But couldn't the rabbits head get stuck through the metal grids too? And also I would really like one that I could shape and adjust, like the first two panels you showed. And as for the plastic ones, I've seen a lot rabbit owners and even popular rabbit owners (Like Lennon The Bunny) recommend them as well as the metal ones.
Yes, small baby bunnies could, that's why you need to cover those in wire mesh as well. If you go for the grids, I would recommend the metal ones. I've used those for stuff in the past and they're nice and sturdy, and you can hang toys and hay feeders on them. Do make sure to attach the grids to each other with zip ties as well, though, instead of only the plastic connector thingies as the connectors aren't always the best at keeping everything together in the shape you want. I'm sure not all bunnies chew the plastic ones, but I've used them for bunny-proofing rooms, and they did get chewed. The bunnies chew at the corners where the edge of the plastic is exposed.

Also, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but please be wary of following what you see on social media from channels like Lennon the Bunny. She does a lot of things that go against what is generally advised for rabbits, such as keeping her rabbit alone, going for walks outside, and using a harness. Those are not things rabbits tend to enjoy, and harnesses can be very dangerous. A lot of what you see on social media seems to be more about getting the most followers with cute content and pretty photos, rather than about what is best for the rabbits.

You might find this useful as well:

Yes, small baby bunnies could, that's why you need to cover those in wire mesh as well. If you go for the grids, I would recommend the metal ones. I've used those for stuff in the past and they're nice and sturdy, and you can hang toys and hay feeders on them. Do make sure to attach the grids to each other with zip ties as well, though, instead of only the plastic connector thingies as the connectors aren't always the best at keeping everything together in the shape you want. I'm sure not all bunnies chew the plastic ones, but I've used them for bunny-proofing rooms, and they did get chewed. The bunnies chew at the corners where the edge of the plastic is exposed.

Also, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but please be wary of following what you see on social media from channels like Lennon the Bunny. She does a lot of things that go against what is generally advised for rabbits, such as keeping her rabbit alone, going for walks outside, and using a harness. Those are not things rabbits tend to enjoy, and harnesses can be very dangerous. A lot of what you see on social media seems to be more about getting the most followers with cute content and pretty photos, rather than about what is best for the rabbits.
Ok!! Do you have a link perhaps? One with a lot of grids? Also do you have an idea on how many grids I will need? Do I not need a bunch?

The minimum recommended MINIMUM acommodation size for rabbits is 3m x 2m floorspace x 1m high.
C&C grids are 35cm square, so that makes it 9+6+9+6 = 30 for a rectangle, and it needs to be 3 grids tall, so that makes 90 C&C grids for a basic run...

Rabbits should be kept with company if their own kind, so you should be looking at getting a pair.

Don't forget that they need an annual vaccination (for RHD1&2 and myxomatosis) and both will need to be neutered when they are old enough - so about 12 weeks for a boy and 6 months for a girl.

Ok!! Do you have a link perhaps? One with a lot of grids? Also do you have an idea on how many grids I will need? Do I not need a bunch?
I'm sorry, I've only used them to build cages for my electronics to keep the bunnies away from them, so I don't really know, but Shimmer's already calculated it for you, so there you go. :) I'd get some extra so you can use them for bunny-proofing the room, too; to keep them from getting behind or under furniture if that wouldn't be safe for them for example.

The minimum recommended MINIMUM acommodation size for rabbits is 3m x 2m floorspace x 1m high.
C&C grids are 35cm square, so that makes it 9+6+9+6 = 30 for a rectangle, and it needs to be 3 grids tall, so that makes 90 C&C grids for a basic run...

Rabbits should be kept with company if their own kind, so you should be looking at getting a pair.

Don't forget that they need an annual vaccination (for RHD1&2 and myxomatosis) and both will need to be neutered when they are old enough - so about 12 weeks for a boy and 6 months for a girl.
Thanks!!

I'm sorry, I've only used them to build cages for my electronics to keep the bunnies away from them, so I don't really know, but Shimmer's already calculated it for you, so there you go. :) I'd get some extra so you can use them for bunny-proofing the room, too; to keep them from getting behind or under furniture if that wouldn't be safe for them for example.
Thanks!!

Back