• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I just cannot do rainbow bridge

When it comes to posting about my pets I do it because I want to share their story with people, but I also want to write them a letter to let them know how I feel, and it feels like if other people read it then it's like getting it out there and making sure they (the animal) knows. Weird attitude, I think. I don't tend to share much of them in life, like photos, their story, necessarily either.

On another forum I used to make a tribute video of the pets lost in that year. There are too many animals on here to do that with, but I did wonder at one point about doing monthly ones but didn't want to overstep the mark or something.

These were the videos I did for the other site.

None Rabbit 2009 Tribute (this is the shortest one)

This is the Rabbit Tribute for 2009. It's a bit complicated to watch because of the ads but you first need to click the red circle with the arrow in. On Mozilla this open a new tab, on IE this opens a new window. You need to go back to the original tab or window and then click the now green circle with the arrow in. This will then play the video.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=EVM4IHG4

This is the Rabbit tribute for 2008

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=35IEJKQV

I loved making those videos. I really felt like I was doing something for those owners who had lost someone they really loved. Since then I've done them for specific bunnies like Hazel-Flare and Clover, for someone else.

They still choke me up though.

When it comes to posting about my pets I do it because I want to share their story with people, but I also want to write them a letter to let them know how I feel, and it feels like if other people read it then it's like getting it out there and making sure they (the animal) knows. Weird attitude, I think. I don't tend to share much of them in life, like photos, their story, necessarily either.

On another forum I used to make a tribute video of the pets lost in that year. There are too many animals on here to do that with, but I did wonder at one point about doing monthly ones but didn't want to overstep the mark or something.

These were the videos I did for the other site.

None Rabbit 2009 Tribute (this is the shortest one)

This is the Rabbit Tribute for 2009. It's a bit complicated to watch because of the ads but you first need to click the red circle with the arrow in. On Mozilla this open a new tab, on IE this opens a new window. You need to go back to the original tab or window and then click the now green circle with the arrow in. This will then play the video.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=EVM4IHG4

This is the Rabbit tribute for 2008

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=35IEJKQV

I loved making those videos. I really felt like I was doing something for those owners who had lost someone they really loved. Since then I've done them for specific bunnies like Hazel-Flare and Clover, for someone else.

They still choke me up though.

:cry::cry::cry: So sad I could only watch the 2009, its too much to take in. All those beautiful bunnies gone.

These are not RU'ers are they, as I don't recognise the user names.

:cry::cry::cry: So sad I could only watch the 2009, its too much to take in. All those beautiful bunnies gone.

These are not RU'ers are they, as I don't recognise the user names.

No, it's from a different forum- RO. It was RU I wondered about doing monthly ones on, and then never mentioned it to anyone :lol:

No, it's from a different forum- RO. It was RU I wondered about doing monthly ones on, and then never mentioned it to anyone :lol:

It is a beautiful tribute. But when you see so many you can't help but cry.

I don't know how many bunnies pass away on RU but it seems alot. :cry:

It is a beautiful tribute. But when you see so many you can't help but cry.

I don't know how many bunnies pass away on RU but it seems alot. :cry:

It's because we are a big and busy forum and more of us have multiple bunnies and many of us have special bunnies and stuff like that.

And remember, there's nothing wrong with crying :)

It's because we are a big and busy forum and more of us have multiple bunnies and many of us have special bunnies and stuff like that.

And remember, there's nothing wrong with crying :)

Yes and alot are from new members who have just lost a bunny.

I can't believe I have lost 2 in a year. For 7.5 years I didn't lose a bunny. Now 4 in 5 years.

I think its each to their own but..
I would never avoid Rainbow bridge just because it "upset" me (which it usually does)
People deal with grief in different ways and just because Ive got loads going on in my own life,
it would not stop me offering my sympathy to others.

I personally always write a tribute to my bridge bunnies, as I want them to be 'immortalised' in some way.
I know how much of a comfort it is to me to get replies on my RB threads, so I do try to post on other people's if I can.

I can, I'm afraid :wave: I can remember very clearly how horrific it was after losing my own bunnies and how the only helpful thing was hearing from other people who could empathise...so no matter how hard it is for me to read, I try to remember that it's even harder for the person who's started the thread.

Having said that I haven't posted there much recently from a lack of time....must make more effort.

I can, I'm afraid :wave: I can remember very clearly how horrific it was after losing my own bunnies and how the only helpful thing was hearing from other people who could empathise...so no matter how hard it is for me to read, I try to remember that it's even harder for the person who's started the thread.

Having said that I haven't posted there much recently from a lack of time....must make more effort.

I'll agree with that, the support I had when I killed Badger was a literal life saver, especially Steph, that first night talking to me while I was totally out of my mind, and the picture someone created and kindly sent to me ;), the flowers someone else sent, Jane's PM, the time people took to reply to the thread I had going.

I'm going to do my best to remember everything you have said there because it's so, so true :)

I never go in there as it depresses me :oops::cry:

I understand it is helpful for some people but it's not for me. Sometimes I feel guilty for not posting.

I love my pets dearly. When their gone I try and see it as a chapter ending and another will begin...
When I lost Dexter I was devastated but he was old. None of them live forever. For me it's part of owning them. You know your going to loose them so enjoy them while you can! Maybe I have this attitude because I've owned so many, I don't know... But I think back to all my previous pets with fond memories and I'll think well if Dex hadn't of gone then I never would of got Vincent etc so for me it's like one leaves me but another ( happy event!) arrives if that makes sence :oops:

Last edited:
I've been reading through people's posts on this thread.
I can see the validity of all the view points.
I think that rainbow bridge is very important for many owners because there is so little off forum understanding of the depth of human / rabbit relationship most of us enjoy. Therefore there is no comprehension of the loss involved & for many people RU is the only place where folk can get any understanding.

At a personal level, tonight proves another difficult night for me. It's yet another night of not knowing whether I'll be bringing Thumper home from a dental tomorrow, or whether he'll have to be pts because his gut has packed in completely with non propulsive movement. I'm not going to watch him starve to death. I'm trying to be strong for him & have a good evening together.
I choose not to put others on RU through this emotional roller coaster which has taken quite a toll. I can't be the only one in this situation, which happens fairly regularly.

I'd like to say can we agree to contribute where we can, within our capability? Can we be mindful of supporting those who are grieving, & those who are grieving, can we be accepting of those who may not post because they are under a lot of pressure themselves?.

I can't post on RB either. I used to but it became to much for me and now I never go in there. We have enough sadness here at the sanctuary I can't cope with other peoples :oops: :cry:

It was nice that you were able to go into RB and find Freddys RB tribute Liz. Well done you. It was a lovely tribute :)

It was nice that you were able to go into RB and find Freddys RB tribute Liz. Well done you. It was a lovely tribute :)

I think it was because of Freddy's tribute that I don't use RB any more. He was one of the last rabbits I put in there except for Timmy, which I did more for other people than myself. That tribute was so hard to write that I didn't have the strength to write something like that for all our bunnies so I stopped all together. It guess it was because of this thread that it got me thinking about Freddy :)

I use Rainbow Bridge as support, I am so grateful to everyone that takes the time to post their and support people, despite the troubles they themselves are dealing with. I try and post their as much as I can, as much as it makes me feel sad, I feel I need to repay the support I have been given and think its important to think of what others are going through as well as ourselves.

I use Rainbow Bridge as support, I am so grateful to everyone that takes the time to post their and support people, despite the troubles they themselves are dealing with. I try and post their as much as I can, as much as it makes me feel sad, I feel I need to repay the support I have been given and think its important to think of what others are going through as well as ourselves.[/QU

Lovely sentiment Lara xx

I find Rainbow Bridge very upsetting, but as offen as I can I will find the strength, take a deep breath and get in there to comfort people.
I wasnt on here when Tilly died and I felt very alone in my grief. A couple of months later I came on here and wrote a tribute in RB for her, I cant tell you how comforting it was for me to hear from people who understood what I was going through.
So thats why I make an effort when Im feeling strong enough. As sad as I gey It also makes me feel incredibly grateful for every single day I have with my angels, which cant be a bad thing.

I think the majority of us who can't post comments in RB also don't post their own rabbits in there, so its not a case of expecting lots of replies to our own threads and then not contributing to others, but just an inability to go in their at all :(

I think the majority of us who can't post comments in RB also don't post their own rabbits in there, so its not a case of expecting lots of replies to our own threads and then not contributing to others, but just an inability to go in their at all :(

That is the case for me, Liz. I will occasionally respond to posts in there when I am feeling emotionally stable and strong - as I really do want to give my support - but every time I think of posting a tribute about my own fur family I just can't, although I think I have in the past, a long time ago.

Back