• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much would it cost you to keep 20 rabbits?

Well if I timesed what I spend on my four by five then in a month it would cost...

Hay - a bale a month - £7x5 - £30
Megazorb - use about a 1/4 of a bag a month so one bag - £7.50
SS - Use about 1.5kg a month so about three 3kg bags - £5.99x5 - £29.95
Newspapers - freebies from Aldi's :oops: (Though I'm going to try that asking the newsagents :thumb:)

Can you forage for weeds instead of using shop bought veg? Things like dandelions and sticky weed are really easy to recognize and normally go down well.

Thank you yes- this foraging idea is great- it's just being able to recognize what I'm looking for.

That breakdown of cost is great thank you. Ah my sister works for aldi maybe i can ask for her help too. Wow you do well with the megazorb. I feed way to much ss comparatively too.

Do you just forage or buy any veggies?

xxxxx

My newsagents saves me piles of newspapers that aren't sold so it might be worth asking. Also, I use straw in my shed which is £3 a bale. They have a big storage box with their hay in and don't tend to go to the toilet anywhere else. I just remove any wet or pooed on straw and replace, so it lasts ages.

Thank you yes- this foraging idea is great- it's just being able to recognize what I'm looking for.

That breakdown of cost is great thank you. Ah my sister works for aldi maybe i can ask for her help too. Wow you do well with the megazorb. I feed way to much ss comparatively too.

Do you just forage or buy any veggies?

xxxxx

I only use megazorb for the lops now and only in litter trays. Could you not use fleeces or towels for the rest of the hutches?

I buy herbs in winter time but just lately their entire greens portion is coming from weeds and mainly just from the garden. Although I'd struggle with 20!

Re veggies. Do you have a morrisons near you? They trim the Caulies in mine and put the leaves in a tray underneath so anyone can help themselves. if I go in and there aren't any, I ask one of the lads and they trim a few for me. They are lovely and fresh and the guinea pigs love them. They also have a reduced section and today I got four big sprays of parsley for 19p and some spring greens for 39p!

Re veggies. Do you have a morrisons near you? They trim the Caulies in mine and put the leaves in a tray underneath so anyone can help themselves. if I go in and there aren't any, I ask one of the lads and they trim a few for me. They are lovely and fresh and the guinea pigs love them. They also have a reduced section and today I got four big sprays of parsley for 19p and some spring greens for 39p!

Good advice :) Supermarkets generally throw out loads things that are really ok so they will be happy to give them away as it saves on disposal costs. I guess you just have to know the right people!

I've timesed my 2 costs by 10.

Hay: £60 (incl treat hays)

Veg: £35 (£1 a month, plus leftovers and foraging)

Dried food: £15

£105 per month. For bedding, I use old newspapers and hay, I, um, 'forage in bins :oops: Could you forage for veg? Xx

It costs us £5 a month for each animal so it would cost £100 a month for 20 rabbits, not including vet bills and other extras of course.

I clean hutches out twice a week using chopped straw and hay bought by the bale and feed A&P and veg daily. I don't use litter trays or lino, but give them a lovely cosy bed throughout the hutch. Inside I use newspaper with hay on top.

Thankyou all this is really really helpful - i'm spending far too much on basics i think :) Will try out some of the methods suggested :) xxxxxx

Back