• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What litter/bedding is everyone using nowadays for litter trays?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I use Back-2-Nature for the piggy litter trays, but it is getting so expensive. I'm a bit out of touch with what is available to buy in bulk nowadays. I don't like the cardboard stuff, as it's just not absorbent enough.

I use shredded hemp. It comes in big bales (eg 20kg). There are various branded versions. Try an equestrian supplier for best value, assuming you have space to store it. It composts down nicely as well.

I use this, not like super cheap but better value than carefresh which I like best, mainly because I can't use hemp stuff as I'm allergic and megazorb I can't stand the smell of 😂

I use this, not like super cheap but better value than carefresh which I like best, mainly because I can't use hemp stuff as I'm allergic and megazorb I can't stand the smell of 😂
How does it compare to something like Fitch? I didn't find that very absorbent, although it was nice for hamsters when I had them.

Your pigs use a litter tray?! 😂
Hah, well... sort of. But only in the sense that I have two litter trays under the water bottles, full of hay. But they poo and wee everywhere else in the cage too on the fleece and mats. Maybe the whole set up needs a rethink.

Megazorb, but the place that produces it has had a problem with some kind of machinery (I think) so.struggling to get it. I'm hoping to.get some next week, it's only produced down the road from.us! I bought some carefree, it's good but expensive!

We use Strawmax pellets with a layer of readigrass over the top - if you don't like the pellets themselves you can damp them before use and they make a nice soft fluffy but no dust covering that's easy to pick out the wet bits or scrape the poos off if you don't want to put anything on top.
It also composts really quickly so we can just stick it straight on the garden and it disappears fairly quickly - which with the 3 giants now (so 2 large dog bed litter trays) is fairly essential!

We use Strawmax pellets with a layer of readigrass over the top - if you don't like the pellets themselves you can damp them before use and they make a nice soft fluffy but no dust covering that's easy to pick out the wet bits or scrape the poos off if you don't want to put anything on top.
It also composts really quickly so we can just stick it straight on the garden and it disappears fairly quickly - which with the 3 giants now (so 2 large dog bed litter trays) is fairly essential!
That sounds interesting! I'll have to look into that, thanks.

I have tried all sorts. Then I became disconnected from the network! Now I am back I was going to say I have found an excellent woodshavings with no dust. It is the best I have ever come across. It comes in 20kg bags for £18. If you would like to have the website please let me know.

Megazorb, but the place that produces it has had a problem with some kind of machinery (I think) so.struggling to get it. I'm hoping to.get some next week, it's only produced down the road from.us! I bought some carefree, it's good but expensive!
Gosh, carefresh not carefree! Don't worry I definitely don't use carefree as bedding! Hopefully you ladies out there will get this!!

Back